Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to see your modified fishing canoes

Default I want to see your modified fishing canoes

I just picked up an older 17 foot Coleman Ram X canoe yesterday. Its bare bones, two seats and came with two paddles. I am thinking about doing some modifications to it to make easier for fishing out of. This canoe will most likely never see a river. I plan on using it mostly at local lakes here in the Valley and possibly on some of the smaller creeks (Like Wasilla and Jim Creek) around here. I know one thing I plan on adding are some pole holders, not sure how I am going to go about this as every thing must sit either under the top edge of the canoe or be taken off and put on with ease as this canoe will be loaded onto the top of a vehicle %80 of the time its being transported. I also plan on eventually getting a Trolling motor to use on it as well, but that isn't a primary concern just yet.

So this got me to thinking, what else have others up here in Alaska done to make their canoes more fishing friendly. I have been looking up this topic on Google and seen some pretty interesting ideas, but figured I would like to see what other Alaskans have done as well.

You don't have to haul your canoe upside down so that solves most problems. If you leave on the roof all the time it keeps it from filling with rain but on and off for for trips sunny side up is fine.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The best modification for a fishing canoe, is a ten year old boy, those dmn things always seem to catch to biggest ones though.....so be prepared for the young bucks to rub it in your face for the whole trip. I still haven't matched his 18 3/4" monster:

Attached Images Attached Images

Haha, my 6 year old son has already shown me up this winter. He has caught a 22 and 25 inch trout the few times we have gone out this winter. Here are some of his fish

His big Chum he caught last fall when we were out fishing for silvers (That werent there lol)

And his 22 inch wild (I mean non hatchery raised) Rainbow Trout.

I dont have a picture of the 25 inch rainbow, we kept the 22 incher (caught first) so when he landed the 25 incher we had to let it go since they are wild caught. I expect he will always end up catching bigger fish than I will lol.

I also plan on starting to take my 4 year old daughter out more this year. She loves animals but doesn't get upset when we keep and eat fish we catch or animals we hunt. I think she is going to have just as much fun if not more than my son lol. I want to have 3 or four rod holders on the Canoe, at least one for the two end seats and one or two in the middle of the boat. I am not sure what I am going to do for the middle of the boat. I thought about putting a middle seat in the center of the boat but then I thought about maybe just using a camping chair or cooler in the middle if there is a 3rd person in the canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    You don't have to haul your canoe upside down so that solves most problems. If you leave on the roof all the time it keeps it from filling with rain but on and off for for trips sunny side up is fine.
    The Canoe I have has a keel that sticks down about 2 inches off the bottom of the canoe. Its not totally flat on the bottom like a lot of canoes I have been in before. I suppose I could get a couple pieces of foam and carve a groove for the keel (if you want to call it one lol) to sit in so the canoe can sit upright and not be wobbling or dinging up the top of my Bronco. Most of the time it will be used fairly close to home but dont count out the possibility of a trip a few hours from home too.

I am still pretty new to canoes. I have used them before in the past but not all that familiar with all the different kinds. The one I have been in the most was my uncles canoe when I was a kid. It was a 19 footer with a flat bottom and it was wide. I know the one I bought wont be as stable as his because mine is shorter and narrower than his, but thats fine. At least now I can get off the shore now lol.

I got the same canoe but 15' and a couple of chocks work fine. Like me my canoe ain't fancy but by God its a canoe.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Here is the canoe. Sorry about the dirty garage, in the middle of cleaning and rearranging it.

Here is the nose of the canoe, I mounted this pressure treated 2x4 with 4 screws. I plan on drilling two holes, one pointing out to the right and one off to the left. This way the person in front can have their pole pointed which ever side needed.

I plan on also having two more pole holders pointing opposite directions like the front.

Here I did it again just a few feet in front of the rear seat. Here I plan on doing again the same pole holder arrangement but I also plan on having out a ruler marked on the board so I can use it for measuring fish as well. The boards in the back are ones I am looking to use for a trolling motor mount. I am not totally sure how I am going to do it, but I have a few ideas I am toying with.

I am also looking into getting some of those folding "stadium seats" that can be taken in and out to add cushion and back support for those all day trips spent in the same seat for 8+ hours.

The canoe needs a good cleaning, it was pretty dirty when I got it and with my cleaning the garage and kicking up all the dust and dirt in there hasn't helped lol, but you get the idea.

It wont let me edit my last message, (think I waited to long) but I was looking at seats like this...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-...Green/10154038

That I can use with Velcro to take in and out of the canoe.

You can install the flush mounted rod holders. In other words the rod holder is removable, the receptacle is flush with the wood. You can orientate the holder 360 degrees. I like the Scotty brand. There are others. Perfect for installing in a canoe that has to be slid upside down on the gunwales on a rack. http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e...ush-mounts.htm

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    You can install the flush mounted rod holders. In other words the rod holder is removable, the receptacle is flush with the wood. You can orientate the holder 360 degrees. I like the Scotty brand. There are others. Perfect for installing in a canoe that has to be slid upside down on the gunwales on a rack. http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e...ush-mounts.htm

Those are pretty slick

I was looking at doing something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UW0qxJzgCA

Except instead of through the seats, through the pressure treated 2x4s I installed yesterday. I am on a pretty tight budget so If I can make something that is just as effective than buying and is cheaper, I will.

I was thinking drill 6 holes, 2 per 2x4. Then I plan on making 4 rod holders since most likely there will never be more than 3-4 people (2 adults 2 kids) fishing at one time, but would be nice to have the spares. Then the rod holders just slip down into the holes in the 2x4s. This will make for easy to take in and out at the launch and also for switching sides if chosen to out on the water.

Neat link of the Saturn Fishing Kayak probably going to buy one for my bigger boat for dingy and to explore sloughs. Like the link to make rod holders, and has some neat ideas and pics.
    http://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable_fishing_kayaks.asp

Well, due to all the snow we just got I spent a lot of the day shoveling snow lol. I did get a little done on the canoe. I worked on the trolling motor mount.

Like the front I mounted a pressure treated 2x4 behind the rear seat.

The plan is to take this piece, and drill holes for 3 bolts staggered. since the bottom board will be permanently attached
    the top board not only will be clamping the gunwales but will also have the extra support of the bottom board being actually
    screwed in place.

The top two pieces are not screwed together just yet, I plan on cutting down the vertical board that the trolling motor will actually clamp to down a couple inches. I want the top piece to be easy to remove.

I need to get some bolts and nuts still, and I need to pick up some more screws or a few lag bolts for the vertical board for the motor to clamp onto. When I get the bolts I also plan on picking up some 2 inch or 1 3/4 inch PVC pipe and angles along with hole saw bit to match the size of the PVC pipe. Once thats done Then I can drill my holes and make my Pole holders and then assemble the Trolling motor mount. Then, all I need is to register and get a trolling motor and battery for this bad boy.

Some may call it cheap or redneck, but hey...if its effective who cares if its DIY lol.

Now, I need to decide what size trolling motor to go with. I have been looking online at the 30, 40 and 55 lb thrust Minn Kotas but I am not sure what size to go with. I know the bigger the motor the more juice its going to use and faster, but at the same time I want plenty of power to get around so would the 30 be big enough or should I go with the 40 of 55lb when it comes time?

Don't use lag bolts,don't ask use through bolts. Also tie motor to canoe the thing I did right.

Don't use lag bolts,don't ask use through bolts. Also tie motor to canoe the thing I did right.
    Is that just in case things go bad and it ends up falling off the mount or the mount fails??

As thrust changes lag bolts get lose and wallow the hole then &*(^ %$&*( $#@*&^ finaly you say glad I tied it on last minuet. I trust my store bought mount now but still tie it on. This is the one I now have and run a 3 1/2hp merc on it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Ash-Ca...item2a1198a1db

Got ya, I was planning on using some big washers as well. Thanks for the advise, I definitely think I will be tying it on once I get one for it lol. Last thing I want is for it to end up in the bottom of some lake.

Made some pontoons for my rig out of PVC pipe and white crab pot floats. Also moved rear seat forward some for better motor use and one person in canoe.

Made some pontoons for my rig out of PVC pipe and white crab pot floats. Also moved rear seat forward some for better motor use and one person in canoe.

I was toying with the idea to make a pontoon outrigger for my canoe. Mostly for when the kids are in the canoe with me (which will be often lol) as kids never sit still lol.

what you have should work not to say you won't do a little adjustment along the way , like it was stated keep it tied on an check all bolts an you might use some glue or epoxey on the wood where wood meets wood for less movement ,

That treated lumberyard wood in not the best for motor mounts as it splits easy. A eight foot piece of 1X4 hardwood would serve better. Truth be told the 2X6 piece of treated you have for your upright can most likely be broke in half with your hand karate chop style. It would probably hold and electric trolling motor though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast