Thread: Speedometer pins breaking

Default Speedometer pins breaking

So I just broke my second pin shortly after replacing it on my 99 bearcat wt.I keep it well greased with low temp grease.Wondering if maybe it's a sighn something else is getting ready to go (speedo cable or bearing?)or if they are just breaking.I'm not hot rodding the machine by any means.

I assume you are talking about a machine where the pin goes into the end of the drive shaft. In that case it could be a bad bearing that is causing the shaft to be misaligned or wobble. It doesn't take much to snap those little things. I had a bearing go out on an indy lite and the first symptom was broken speedo-pin.
    It's not a horrible repair to do.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Yup bad bearing. Fix soon or you'll be repairing the tunnel rivets. If it is the lock collar style bearing, change it to one with set screws. Solves one of the many Bearcat problems of that generation.

I had a feeling it might be a sighn the bearing was going bad so I orderd a new one awhile back with the new pins.Good to have some second opinions.Now I just have to find the time to change it!Unfortunatly it's the lock collar style so it will have to work for now.Thanks guys.