Thread: Littleneck Clams

Default Littleneck Clams

Where is a good place you can find littleneck and butter clams on without having a boat? Once you get them do you let them sit in salt water to spit the sand out of them?

Default clams

not sure where you would get them with out a boat but itwould help to let any clam [ ALL ] to set in salt water to help clean them out

I've heard that you find them on the south side of Kachemack Bay, but you need a boat. Would it be possible to find them on the spit at a really low tide?

We also found one at clam gulch and I know there are tons of shells at Ninilchik beach. At Ninilchik never found any live ones though and every time we thought we saw a dimple it was some sort of a slug wormish thing. All of the decomposed black soil stunk and we didn't know if we should even consume a clam if we found one. The black gloppy soil we only noticed at Ninilchik.

Are they buried in gravel on rocky beaches or do they stay on top of the rocks?

You can get clams on the east side of the spit. I think they are soft shell or little necks not sure, but lots of them.

There are eastern (I believe) soft-shell clams in mud bay, introduced iirc. a VERY few steamers (littlenecks) outside the fishing hole, but they have become nearly extinct in k-bay. Butter clams can still be found in good numbers.
    The shells you find at ninilchick are surf clams (called red or pink necks by most, hokkagai at the sushi bar). Good numbers of surf clams can be found around whiskey gulch.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    There are eastern (I believe) soft-shell clams in mud bay, introduced iirc. a VERY few steamers (littlenecks) outside the fishing hole, but they have become nearly extinct in k-bay. Butter clams can still be found in good numbers.
    The shells you find at ninilchick are surf clams (called red or pink necks by most, hokkagai at the sushi bar). Good numbers of surf clams can be found around whiskey gulch.
    What are considered soft shell calms? Razors? or more like a Gooey Duck?

Where is Mud Bay?

Are the butter clams on the rocks outside the fishing hole or in sand?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post
    What are considered soft shell calms? Razors? or more like a Gooey Duck?

Where is Mud Bay?

Are the butter clams on the rocks outside the fishing hole or in sand?

Thanks.
    Google "eastern soft shell clam" they are neither razors nor geoducks.
    mud bay is the eastern side of the base of the spit, where it is muddy. ( go figger, eh?)
    the steamers outside the fishing hole are in the sand/gravel/mud. Not many there anymore, and they need to be 1.5" across.
    there are a few butters around there as well, they need to be 2". Make sure to learn the difference, they are pretty similar at those sizes.
    lots of butters across the bay.

I've never dug softshells in AK but I have alot in oregon. If they're the same type they live in stiff mud and muddy sand areas that are fairly stable, they can't move so channel movements will expose them. They live only a few inches beneath the surface and are very easy to dig.

Do you sink in mud bay? How would you go about getting out there to get some without sinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post
    Do you sink in mud bay? How would you go about getting out there to get some without sinking?
    You're not gonna get stuck, you're just gonna get filthy.
    I don't know anyone who regularly digs there, I just know that there are some clams there that some folks eat.
    Not for me though, too little, too mucky and too much work.