Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disease from brown/grizzly bear blood...???

Default Disease from brown/grizzly bear blood...???

With bear season coming up I happened to remember something that happened a number of years ago to an Anchorage man. I'm sorry I can't be more specific as it was a long time ago, so the details are vague. Some of you that have been here may remember this and can relate more about it. I tried a google search but couldn't come up with anything. Still I felt it was worth posting.

I can't remember the symptoms, but this guy just started not feeling well. He got worse and worse to the point he went to the doctor. The doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. If I remember the man started getting progressively worse to the point where he was hospitalized. Tests and more tests were being done and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with this guy. Meanwhile he was going downhill fast. They kept asking the man what he had been doing, taking, eating, just prior to him getting sick. With the guy dang near on his deathbed when asked again to try and remember anything that might have made him sick, he told them he had gone grizzly hunting and had killed a bear. So what.......right? Well the doctors continued the questions till the man remembered he had cut himself while skinning out the bear. Turned out that's what did it. It seems there was something in the bear blood (or whatever) that entered into the man's system through this small cut on his hand. I don't believe it was trichinosis because I think to catch that you have to actually ingest the worm.....but I could be wrong. I just don't remember them saying it was trichinosis. Whatever it was the doctors got a handle on it and the man recovered.

Again, sorry about the lack of details or the name of the disease, but I do know it darn near killed this guy. Suffice to say though, if you happen to start getting sick after killing a brown/grizzly bear better go get checked out real quick. Remember a lot of us can cut ourselves while doing up an animal and really not think much about it, so it's easy to be overlooked.....which this guy did.

I'm hoping somebody here may have more info and can provide some insight.

Good Luck out there and be safe...!!!
    "The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage. The sentiments of the hunt then become translated into art." James Swan, In Defense of Hunting

I seem to remember similar story. ....They couldnt figure out what was wrong for a while, etc. As I remember tho, his buddy and him had taken a black bear and they ate a well cooked stead from it. The symtoms came out some time later after good doctors questioning. I do believe it WAS triconosis.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

As someone who has worked in a taxidermy shop often and fleshed, depawed, and turned the faces of many many bears, we always use latex gloves, and when we cut ourselves, immediately stop what you are doing, remove the glove, and treat the cut with iodine and wound spray, discard the old gloves, wrap the wound as necessary ( liquid bandage is common) regardless of how minor it is. Thanks to that protocol no one has gotten sick yet, but this is urged by the shop owner to not take any risks.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I seem to remember similar story. ....They couldnt figure out what was wrong for a while, etc. As I remember tho, his buddy and him had taken a black bear and they ate a well cooked stead from it. The symtoms came out some time later after good doctors questioning. I do believe it WAS triconosis.
    One thing I'm almost positive of though, was that is was a brown/grizzly bear. So maybe a different story?
    "The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage. The sentiments of the hunt then become translated into art." James Swan, In Defense of Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    As someone who has worked in a taxidermy shop often and fleshed, depawed, and turned the faces of many many bears, we always use latex gloves, and when we cut ourselves, immediately stop what you are doing, remove the glove, and treat the cut with iodine and wound spray, discard the old gloves, wrap the wound as necessary ( liquid bandage is common) regardless of how minor it is. Thanks to that protocol no one has gotten sick yet, but this is urged by the shop owner to not take any risks.
    Are you aware of any blood diseases like I mention....???

seem to remember that too but like you cant recall details... Bears are one of the few I wear gloves on... plenty of freaky things in them especially browns... I remember being with another guide skinning one out and finding some crazy parasite....we took it to adfg and they had no idea and to this day neither do I,,,that was when I started wearing gloves... heres some good info one bear parisites in general

http://www.bearstudy.org/website/ima...s-A_Review.pdf

a blurb from it says there are some 77 parisites found in bears...mmmmm I'm gettin hungary..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    seem to remember that too but like you cant recall details... Bears are one of the few I wear gloves on... plenty of freaky things in them especially browns... I remember being with another guide skinning one out and finding some crazy parasite....we took it to adfg and they had no idea and to this day neither do I,,,that was when I started wearing gloves... heres some good info one bear parisites in general

a blurb from it says there are some 77 parisites found in bears...mmmmm I'm gettin hungary..
    Was the parasite in the meat or between the meat and the skin? I have to tell ya though, after smelling pigs in their slop, I have to wonder how we all ain't dead...!!!.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Was the parasite in the meat or between the meat and the skin? I have to tell ya though, after smelling pigs in their slop, I have to wonder how we all ain't dead...!!!.......lol

it was between IIRC, it was some 15+ years ago and I didnt think much of it, but the guy I was with had skinned over a hundred and never seen anything like it.. I wish I would of followed up on it more but at the time I was young and honesty worried about other things...lol

Having had a bad, nasty infection in my hand once from handling raw bear parts, I can say that proper fleshing/skinning precautions are a must!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It's most commonly known as "bear hand," and we've had threads and pics of it here in the past. Can happen if you have a cut or nick, any opening in the hands while skinning without gloves.

Here's one older thread I dug up on it:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ion-from-Bears

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    It's most commonly known as "bear hand," and we've had threads and pics of it here in the past. Can happen if you have a cut or nick, any opening in the hands while skinning without gloves.

Here's one older thread I dug up on it:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ion-from-Bears
    I don't believe though that this guys symptoms were on his hand that he had cut, but rather through out his system. I'm sure I would have remembered that had it been just isolated to his hand. That's why they had such a hard time finding it.....

Correct, I recall the issue you speak of as being in his blood rather than starting as an infection through a previous cut.

Just throwing out my experience to be cautious.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I knew the gentleman that was very sick from an infection from a cut while skinning a bear. He is a firefighter with AFD and he was very sick and almost died. I don't recall what the name of the infection was, but he was in ICU for close to a month. It was a blood infection. It took him several months to recover and get back to work. My best advise is to use latex gloves when dealing with bears and treat any cuts immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Correct, I recall the issue you speak of as being in his blood rather than starting as an infection through a previous cut.

Just throwing out my experience to be cautious.
    Yes, this is why I posted it regardless of what it's called. If you start to get sick after dealing with a brown/grizzly bear get treated right away.

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    I knew the gentleman that was very sick from an infection from a cut while skinning a bear. He is a firefighter with AFD and he was very sick and almost died. I don't recall what the name of the infection was, but he was in ICU for close to a month. It was a blood infection. It took him several months to recover and get back to work. My best advise is to use latex gloves when dealing with bears and treat any cuts immediately.
    This is more like I remember and do believe this was probably the man. Thanks.

Maybe as "Hunt&Fish" says.....it may be a good idea to have a small bottle of iodine on hand when dealing with bears......

I dont know of a specific parasite but you are describing sepsis. Its basically a very bad staff infection and can be elusive especially if docs arent looking for it. Ive actually seen a number of people die from it. Scary stuff and you can get it from other places not just contaminated game meat.
    USAF Active duty. GO BEARS! GO CUBS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post

77 good reasons not to eat bears.......grin
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

You can get stuff from most anything.Fishermen get bag finger and you can get Unguent fever from any Ungalant with Bangs.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

i've had bad fingers from spawning silvers salmon teeth but never got anything from a bear and i've had lots of open wounds while skinning and fleshing bears. i may have just rolled the dice and won.....still not eating those things.
    Master guide license #212.....now what?!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i've had bad fingers from spawning silvers salmon teeth but never got anything from a bear and i've had lots of open wounds while skinning and fleshing bears. i may have just rolled the dice and won.....still not eating those things.
    Eeweuuuuuwhat? Man you hafta some by for some bear back straps. Smells like blueberry wine. I also do a wicked corned bear roast!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast