Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SE Hooters 2013

Default SE Hooters 2013

Spring is nearly here. Anybody been hearing them yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    Spring is nearly here. Anybody been hearing them yet?
    Not yet, I think we have too much snow up high.

Ahah!

I was wondering when this thread would start. I saw on another thread that someone was hearing hoots. If tomorrow is sunny I will be out trudging around listening.

im hearing hoots out north douglas. as usual they always seem to be just ahead! no luck yet

Quote Originally Posted by boodog View Post
    im hearing hoots out north douglas. as usual they always seem to be just ahead! no luck yet
    Must just be in that next big tree... no maybe that one... haha, too true!

Weather was a bit overcast and breezy for those early hoots but I went out and listened during the afternoon anyway. Hiked about 3 miles and got up to about 1500 feet, plenty of snow, no birds.

Funny I just read an article in Hunt Alaska magazine about these birds. Sounds like a helluva hunt. How do these birds taste? Like a Ruffed or closer to a Spruce?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

They're white meat, so more like a ruffed.

Though, I think by the time they start hooting they've been eating nothing but spruce and hemlock needles for months. They probably taste better in August, but I don't know, I've only shot them in the spring.

Try blowing across a beer bottle, if their there, they'll answer!

They are hooting around juneau, not anywhere near full force though. My brother and I shot a couple the other day. As for the taste I think they are better then spruce (definetly) and rough (it's close though). Never had sharp tail. Hunting blues is awesome, although it can drive you to insanity trying to find them at times. Good luck everyone.

Luke

We were hearing hooters out the road here in Juneau this weekend. It's on!

Finally a sunny day and its super windy! Is there any reason to go trudge about and listen for hooters if the wind is blowin? Do they even hoot when its windy and loud?

never had luck on windy days or hot days. If temps start hitting in the mid 60's in May (it happens) the hooters will shut right up. When I was young I also learned that grouse are a lazy bunch of critters. I got up at the crack of dawn and hiked all over not hearing a single hooter. Finally went back to the cabin for some breakfast and about a half hour later they started hooting.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Every year when someone starts a thread about Hooters grouse is not the first thing that comes to mind.

Must be 'cause I grew up in Cali?

If anyone wants to get after some Hooters (preferably feathered variety) this week in Juneau send me a PM!

Success!
    Nice! I got a few yesterday and barely beat that storm down the mountain. Green Chilli and Grouse enchiladas were to die for...

very nice! congrats
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I've taken Spruce, Sharptail, ruffed groouse, willow, and rock ptarmigan over my setter. Only two I need to complete the list over him is a white-tailed ptarmigna, and a hooter. A nice blue is on my list for sure!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Well, Heintzelman Ridge was a bust - not a hoot to be heard all the way up to 2500'. Perfect conditions too. Don't know if somebody shot em up or they just don't live up that hill. Anyone else come back down that empty handed recently?

On a side note - saw some fresh bear tracks at about 1800'. Pretty small blackie - but first I've seen this season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast