Thread: Juneau for hunters?

Default Juneau for hunters?

Applied for a job in Juneau I am kind of too far out to take.

What's the hunting situation like there? I am guessing if you don't own a boat you are screwed?

You can take the ferry to other towns and depending on the rules you can access logging roads for deer hunting as well as bear. There are some special rules in some places so you really need to know them well.

A skiff will really expand your access. Get an inflatable that can be car topped and you'll keep the ferry cost down.

Plenty of hunting to be had off the road system in Juneau. Most of the hunting I did while I lived there was off the road system.

I always managed to get my deer and Black Bears. You may have to work a little harder than with a boat, but you'll also save money in the long run. You can also get Goat off the road system in some places.

I really wouldn't knock Juneau's road system for hunting. Just gotta know where to go and how to hunt it.

There's a pretty respectable deer population in Juneau. Not a lot of bruisers, but I've always managed to keep my freezer full. I've lived here 10 years now and have gotten my deer off the road system every year. There is definitely not a shortage of bears in the area either. Juneau also has some pretty impressive roadside fishing. As with anywhere in SE a boat improves access, but there is plenty to be had within walking distance as well. Ferry access to other towns is pretty cheap and easy. With Haines and Skagway a short ferry ride away, a lot of people will drive up north for moose, caribou, and sheep hunting. After the 4 hr ferry Fairbanks is only a really long day or day and a half of driving.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Nothin wrong with the Juneau area, as said there are deer and you don't have to worry about the nasty weather we get on the seas around here in Oct. and Nov.

Be prepared to work for em, with this year's light snowload I was at 1600 ft on Thanksgiving day before I saw enough sign to plunk my butt down and stalk a little and finally connected on a nice fork. It's easier if it snows more by Dec. There are hooters and ptarmies and bunnies but again....they are in the nose bleeds. Could subsist on porkies on Douglas if you wish.....never seen so many of those things in one place.

A boat is the best way to enjoy the area overall, I've fished a lot down here and have a bigger boat, but am so far happy with hunting the road system. The idea of leaving my baby on anchor with our weather leaves me a little twitchy.