Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturn Kaboats

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Its the 15 foot Alaskan model, I used my 16 foot quite a bit on the Kenai River last year 17 MPH upstream with a 9.8 HP OB 4 stroke 3 people 500#
    load.

Luke 6 HP is probably a great fit your boat, in weight and performance, did you try the 18 HP?
    Yeah for 55 pounds the motor is still super handy and will get me on step no doubt with 400+ pounds. Be interesting to see how much weight I could get in it and still plane. Haven't tried the 18 hp yet. But I imagine I could still plane with that no matter the load as I would cube out the space in the boat before the weight

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    It's very well proven with these narrow planing hulls.....they are highly efficient. Doesn't take much motor to get them up on step. It's virtually impossible to beat the versatility, price, and capability of a Kaboat in my opinion. Can't wait to plug a 6.5 copperhead onto an extended-transom Kaboat.
    You gotta extend the transom to run a Copperhead? How high ya gotta go?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    You gotta extend the transom to run a Copperhead? How high ya gotta go?
    not upward.....outward. think about it, you don't want that 9 inch diameter prop bouncin round spittin up rocks off bottom, right in between the tubes. A little box exentsion, bringing it 12 inches rearwards, while being built to rest on top of the tubes, bolted to the existing transom, would remove the risk.

not upward.....outward. think about it, you don't want that 9 inch diameter prop bouncin round spittin up rocks off bottom, right in between the tubes. A little box exentsion, bringing it 12 inches rearwards, while being built to rest on top of the tubes, bolted to the existing transom, would remove the risk.
    Oh ok that makes sense....you got such a rig to practice on?? If not might be able to do some experimenting with mine.

Thanks for the info guys. Really liking this boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Oh ok that makes sense....you got such a rig to practice on?? If not might be able to do some experimenting with mine.
    yes, between you n kk, i'll have to let a couple prototypes go for testing. They will be fiberglassesed marine-grade plywood extnensions to get that surface piercing monster away from the tubes.

When guys started going after these kaboats......I started to get worried when they started eye-balling my lil copperheads as a viable launch craft for smaller creeks. To you n kk, you can borrow my 12 hp demo motor with an extended transom. drop the boats by the shop for an overnighter or two. we'll test it on little su, or 20 mile.

I want to save the guy who sold you the boats......the hassle of repairs due to my angry little motors. I've talked to him about doing this, and it's another iron in the fire that I didn't intend; but it's my fault I guess for being the first guy to introduce these kaboats to the forum back a year r two ago.

Other n that, a guy with a kaboat placed an order for a 7.0 copperhead couple weeks ago. when that thing comes up, I will have to make sure he's boating safely too.....with an extended transom bracket.

yes, between you n kk, i'll have to let a couple prototypes go for testing. They will be fiberglassesed marine-grade plywood extnensions to get that surface piercing monster away from the tubes.

When guys started going after these kaboats......I started to get worried when they started eye-balling my lil copperheads as a viable launch craft for smaller creeks. To you n kk, you can borrow my 12 hp demo motor with an extended transom. drop the boats by the shop for an overnighter or two. we'll test it on little su, or 20 mile.

I want to save the guy who sold you the boats......the hassle of repairs due to my angry little motors. I've talked to him about doing this, and it's another iron in the fire that I didn't intend; but it's my fault I guess for being the first guy to introduce these kaboats to the forum back a year r two ago.

Other n that, a guy with a kaboat placed an order for a 7.0 copperhead couple weeks ago. when that thing comes up, I will have to make sure he's boating safely too.....with an extended transom bracket.
    Good info man!!! Yeah been eyeing them for a couple years now, especially so after watching some videos from that guy over in Sweden or Norway or whereever run them through the paces. My Jet Ranger is a sweet boat but with an overall weight of 300+ pounds its not exactly handy to throw in the back of a wheeler (though I have done so )

My Kaboat with the worthless seats removed just over 100 pounds and the 6 hp Merc 4 stroke is 55 pounds. Nearly half the weight. Both are great niche boats...would like to see how a 6 or 7 hp copperhead would move the boat around for sure.

So if I wanted to buy the 470 XL, what vendor is recommended? Did Costco have this model or only the non heavy duty model? ( I realize I would have to wait till next year.

Thanks,

it was the heavy one , it was on a road show , so don't know about next year ???????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by cjjeeper View Post
    So if I wanted to buy the 470 XL, what vendor is recommended? Did Costco have this model or only the non heavy duty model? ( I realize I would have to wait till next year.

Thanks,
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/3823361565.html

looks like a Costco unit or just like it it is a good price if you want one """"" NOW """"""you canot beat the price in Anchorage an yes it is more than the costco price but you can get it now an use it , you won't have to wait till next year an maybe get one from costco it is called busness I think

yeah cant order them online either every place is back ordered it seems. Says OBO maybe someone could pick it up at a decent price just thought I would pass it along. I like hard V bottom model with aluminum floor and beefed up transom for 300 more personally not as good in rivers but could be used in the salt in the bays and handle a little bit of chop

My 2012 Saturn 16 ft Kaboat cost that and had to wait for it. The Costco prices were without shipping. Around $200 for shipping so it is priced
    right. The more I use my 15 ft XL the more I like it. Contact Brian Ricardson, to see if he knows of any or he can order one for you.
    http://alaskaraftconnection.com/

Yep, thanks.

Production runs for the year are over so I realize they are probably out of stock.

Just planning for next season. I have a couple or three boats to make it through this year.

Tested my buddies Saturn Kaboat last night, his boat would cavitate with his short shaft 8 hp above 11 mph, good prop and measured the same as my
    short shaft 8 hp. Put my 8 hp short shaft outboard on no cavitation and 15 mph? My prop has wear his is like new can,t figure out why his OB cavitates and mine does not.

Is the prop geometry on the two props the same (diameter, # of blades, pitch)?

Buddie noticed my Yamaha cavitation plate sits slightly lower than his Evinrude plate in the water. They measure the same just do not mount the same. My Yamaha will not cavitate even in 2nd position on trim.

2nd chance new in box $850 Saturn Kaboat
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4004884418.html

Sorry to revive a thread dormant for three months, but I have been thinking about inflatables and especially the Kaboat with its' excellent performance, capacity and price. One issue I have not seen discussed about them here is their projected durability. The website suggests the pvc tubes have an expected life of 5-10 years with good care. I contrast this with the Grumman 19, which unless an accident happens may outlive my children. Does anyone here have other feedback? I like both the Kaboat and the much pricier SOAR inflatables. Thanks.

there is none they are 2 different rigs an the 19 will out live the inflatable on the other hand you canot fold the 19 up an store I have both ,
    to get more comments start a new THREAD SID

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast