Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place to find raw actions for gun builds?

Default Best place to find raw actions for gun builds?

I'm wanting to do another pet project and wouldn't mind doing it on a Savage 110, Rem 700 or Mauser action. Curious if there is any source that consistently would have raw actions or trashed guns that aren't full retail cost. Most solo Mauser actions I see online are ridiculously expensive. Any ideas?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

There were a bunch at the last gun show.

Here are a couple.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333375772
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333392922

New Remington 700
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/receivers/one-piece-receivers/small-700-sa-receiver-blued-prod32498.aspx

Great Northern Gun is a good place to look for a beeter to build and yard sale season is almost here now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard, Tikka T3 and Remington M700s can often be had at big-box stores for $300 on close out. Just keep an eye out.

Buy a complete rifle, sell the stock and barrel. That's the least expensive way to get an action. Just don't shoot the donor. The rifle doesn't have to be trashed. You should be able to get a good sporter action for ~$200 after you trip the barrel, stock and a scope if you don't want to keep the scope that came with the rifle.

Mauser's are no longer cost effective actions as the money you'll have tied up in getting it set up for scope use just doesn't pencil out in the end. The only reason to use a military mauser is to build a classic custom rifle, and cost be darned.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Check the gun shows!

I've had a 1951 commercial FN action on my table for the last couple of shows at $295 and haven't even gotten an offer.

You can also pick up the interarms 98 rifles based on the yugo actions pretty cheaply. Hardly worth fooling with the military stuff when you can get actions ready to go with bent bolt handles, drilled and tapped, safetys and triggers, etc. not much more than it takes to have the work done on a military action. And with a commercial gun you get rid of the thumb cutout in the left rail also.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Seth View Post
    Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard, Tikka T3 and Remington M700s can often be had at big-box stores for $300 on close out. Just keep an eye out.
    We must be shopping at different stores I have never seen a new Remington M700 on sale for $300 for at least 25 years.

For what Brownells is asking for just an action run over to SW and buy a whole gun for 499 with scope. Sell everything but what you need.

I should have mentioned that I'm also looking for a long enough action that could fit the 300 H&H in it. That rules out a lot of the Mausers.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    We must be shopping at different stores I have never seen a new Remington M700 on sale for $300 for at least 25 years.
    It's not $300 I know, but Walmart down here has M700 SPS (or whatever they call the plain jane ADL anymore) in .243 for $379. I saw that the other day and wondered why anyone would ever pay basically the same money for one of those junk 770's or 710's they make. I haven't seen this newest one, 783 I think, but I can't imagine it's anywhere close to the rifle a base 700 is.

Century has Mauser actions at a good price.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Default 98 la

Standard 98s can be opened up to .300 H&H with a bit of grinding and an extension on the front of the magazine.

That is what FN and others did and it works fine. I've got an FN supreme action and a browning I can send you pictures if you wish.

Or you can use any of the Winchester classic 70s long actions; they are easy to convert.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    I should have mentioned that I'm also looking for a long enough action that could fit the 300 H&H in it. That rules out a lot of the Mausers.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Another good source is pawn shops. I bought my last Rem 700, granted the stock was junk and there was a fair share of surface rust on the matte finish, but it was worth cleaning up for $185. Also, walmarts down here in the Northwest portion of the states sell the plain 700 sps for $417. Even some of the magnum calibers. Like already mentioned hit up gun shows and yard sales. Just try and buy a donor when you don't need one that bad. It seems like to me if I really want one, can't find one.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Always keep a few actions and parts in wait for the rest of the project. I picked up a .375 H&H threaded and chambered barrel sometime back and recently picked up a FN Suprme action in .300 H&H length. They will go together well with a stock I picked up 10 years of so ago.

Sometimes looking for junk actions you find some neat stuff. I picked up a Remington 700 out of a junk barrel serveral years ago and discovered it was the 44X th Remington 700 ever made. It was dated March of 1962 - the first month of production. I found another a year later that was made in August 1962 some 18,000 rifles later. The second was well used and reeked of character; I'm going to keep it as is also. Both were 7mm Rem Mags with stainless steel barrels, apparently many of the early 700s were im 7MM Rem Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Another good source is pawn shops. I bought my last Rem 700, granted the stock was junk and there was a fair share of surface rust on the matte finish, but it was worth cleaning up for $185. Also, walmarts down here in the Northwest portion of the states sell the plain 700 sps for $417. Even some of the magnum calibers. Like already mentioned hit up gun shows and yard sales. Just try and buy a donor when you don't need one that bad. It seems like to me if I really want one, can't find one.

Gun stores can have great deals on old Remingtons. A local store in my town has a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 for either $349 or $399. Even in today's market they will deal some on their asking price. This particular rifle is one of the older actions made by Remington because when the safety is engaged, it locks the bolt.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

That'll make things a little more challenging because you really should start with a 375 H&H to have the proper bolt, bolt stop, and magazine, and it's pretty tough to find a cheap used 375 H&H.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

A few years ago Northern Security on Old Seward Hwy purchased 10 years of confiscated guns from a state, they had a room full of used guns. I told the gunsmith there all I wanted was beat up guns for donor actions, I walked out of there with 4 rem 700s 2-233, 1-308 and a 30-06 I paid $580.00 for all four guns They had a barrel full of 10-22s $50.00 a pop! I know a guy who got over ten 700s from them! Now I wished I would have slicked up a bunch more.grin
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

With a Reminton 700, it's easy. Any long action 700 with a magnum bolt face can be used to build a .300H&H. ALL of the long action 700s are the same length. Get a magnum donor, so that you start with the proper sized bolt face, and get your gunsmith to screw on a new barrel. Done.

I built a .375H&H from a 7-mag donor. I just had the gunsmith install a new barrel. I used the same mag box, same follower, no modification to the feed rails. It fed great.

I can't speak for using a RUM action as a donor, though. I think their feed rails are a little wider...they were on the two ultra mags I owned, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    A few years ago Northern Security on Old Seward Hwy purchased 10 years of confiscated guns from a state, they had a room full of used guns.
    I made off with quite a few of those donors, as well. They were a GREAT deal!

Ya need a 1917 enfield! The gun shows are crawling with em, there's even a shop here in Homer that's got a few for $250 and up.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Ya need a 1917 enfield! The gun shows are crawling with em, there's even a shop here in Homer that's got a few for $250 and up.
    I've considered that or a 1903, but I didn't think they were long enough. Are the Enfields long enough for H&H cartridges?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast