Thread: Filling hole in fiberglass

Default Filling hole in fiberglass

I'm installing a transom mount transducer and have to drill a hole though the fiberglass to run the wire. Was curious what you would use to fill the hole up? Would a sylicone work or would an epoxy be better?

I've used 5200 (marine adhesive/sealant) before. Over drill the hole, seal it, let it setup, then install the cable, add silicone around cable to fill the hole, and consider putting a clamshell on the outside. Remember not to get the 5200 on anything you don't want it on!

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I'd drill the hole, run the cable then fill it full of 5200 an let it dry. Those cables never need to be removed...
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thanks everyone, I will get some of the 5200 and give that a try.

Yeah, I agree, 5200 is The Stuff

a side tip for working with it,....as AK2AZ mentioned, it's super sticky, is really hard to keep clean (?)
    the Trick is Isopropyl Alcohol and a rag, (or bunch of rags) for any of it that gets on something else, like your hands, etc.

It doesn't mess with the 5200 set-up but is Amazing to use to wipe around the area you use 5200 on

A Shipyard guy showed that to me once,..I think it was the best "Solutions" tip, I've ever received
    cause that stuff, "will get Everywhere," once you get a little on your fingers,...or tools,..then everything you touch,..Man,..!!
    and there's no other way to get it off than dabbing a bit of Isopropyl on a rag and wiping, which is quick and easy

In re-thinking this, I should add, if that Fiberglass has a wood core to it,...Use Epoxy, to seal that up first
    Something like MAS Epoxies two part stuff
    the core of Fiberglass work is Critical to keep sealed, even if it's solid glass there, there should be no possible water intrusion whatsoever, so once you've broken the Gelcoat
    even for the smallest hole I would epoxy the inside of that hole,...then when dry, use the 5200 to seal the hole/bolts, etc.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

What Kodiakrain said about sealing up the hoe and using 5200. I would never use silicone on this or any other place on a boat (you always have to redo these things and silicone is a real pain to clean up good enough to get a good seal again). You also might think about a cable deck fitting with rubber seal that would make it easy to change out your ducer in case you need to without a messy 5200 seal to deal with. They're not very expensive and make for a neat installation.

to smooth out 5200 just make up some water and dish soap, dip your finger in the soapy water and smooth away, works great try it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Another vote for 5200, you want something flexible and tenacious, which is 5200 to a T. Silicone will break down over time, and epoxy is too brittle which can lead to the wire being damaged, 5200 has just the right amount of flex.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.