Thread: SportJet pump work

Default SportJet pump work

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these guys? http://www.maverickwatersports.com/SportJet.html

Thanks,

Kevin

Question

Quote Originally Posted by riverhound View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these guys? http://www.maverickwatersports.com/SportJet.html

Thanks,

Kevin

I just got my pump back from these guys yesterday and put in. Ill run it tonight and let u know. Very $$$$$$$

Put an hour on her last night. Felt like new boat like any pump work would at new. Zero cavitation. Now the true test is how many hours till she starts to cavitate again.

I just did about 19 hours this week on this uhmw wear right, stator and impeller work. Works good.

It's been a long time and here it is if anyone is interested. After my 19 hours up the Kantishna and then 12 hours up the Salcha I started to cavitate. The UHMW doesn't work. TOO soft. Only 31 hours run time. I suffered the rest of the year and ended up with a total of 58 hours. I pulled it apart and shipped it out to try the next sleeve option. My aluminum wear rings lasted much much longer and not nearly the deep groves in the ring. The UHMW was grooved big time. I think I did my first wear ring at 300 or so hours. Then at 550. Then UHMW at 733.

GS

Thanks for the update, i had been eye balling them a while back but went with a SS liner and have not looked back.
    Did you do the SS clips on the stator? My stator has seen better days-- too much gravel through it.
    Mike

Yes on stator. The fins just look polished and unmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by GlacierShaker View Post
    It's been a long time and here it is if anyone is interested. After my 19 hours up the Kantishna and then 12 hours up the Salcha I started to cavitate. The UHMW doesn't work. TOO soft. Only 31 hours run time. I suffered the rest of the year and ended up with a total of 58 hours. I pulled it apart and shipped it out to try the next sleeve option. My aluminum wear rings lasted much much longer and not nearly the deep groves in the ring. The UHMW was grooved big time. I think I did my first wear ring at 300 or so hours. Then at 550. Then UHMW at 733. GS
    Great info, thanks for sharing

So is a SS sleeve the best thing? Craig told me the UHMW and so I went with that. The guy who did it really didn't want to do it, I thought for other reasons, but did and now he is like "I told you so" He has it now and putting in a new product not metal not UHMW but he says it lathes and drills like metal. Said it will hold up. Nothing like the UHMW. When he did my UHMW last year he just didn't have a line on this new sleeve. I asked him about a SS sleeve and he totally against them.

More info??? Thanks guys

GS

GS, call Gary at Greatland welding and he can tell more about them than i can, they did mine. But what i can tell you is-- my stock aluminum liner lasted one summer, about 38hrs of gravel and silt (big learning curve) and after talking to a bunch of folks i went with the SS liner. It has been in there for 4 summers and hardly has a scratch in it.. And i replace my impeller every spring with a rebuilt one, unless i get stupid and then sometimes mid summer too.
    Not sure why craig would be against SS, he is super knowledgeable and i trust him. But i think we would be hard pressed to find something Harder and more durable than SS-- Key-- is proper installation (with any liner).
    Not sure I could ever wear this SS liner out before i wore out the boat? haha
    Hope this helps.
    Mike

Maverick is against the SS sleeve. I talked to Craig last year he said UHMW only way to go. It's his sleeve. So I had maverick put it in. He does Craig's sleeves. It didnt last at all. I talk to Craig at this years outdoor show and now he says that the SS sleeve is only way to go. I guess it depends on what day u talk to him. I didnt like testing that UHMW for him.

GS

I had Gary put a SS liner in my SJX three summers ago and no issues
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

It must be the opposite on sport jets than outboards. My impeller is hundreds and my liner is under 50. So I have a SS impeller and aluminum sleeve just because I'm not made of money. Three years on impeller and a 30 min sleeve change every year.
    The previous owner of my boat had a pile of junked aluminum impellers in the tool box. He sold the boat because one gravel pumping exercise and he had to get towed home from lack of thrust.
    Is the sleeve cost and installation a huge expense on a sport jet?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

So did you get the Acetal (Delrin) liner as the replacement to the UHMW liner? I talked to Don at Shunkworks and he said the UHMW is way to soft and the new Dupont Acetal (Delrin) is alot tougher and the wear rate is like Stainless Steel. I'm on the fence as to which I should have installed. I've seen a Stainless Steel liner that has been worn by our liquid sand paper, it still gets groved and worn down too. So if anyone has feed back on the Acetal (delrin) "the new stuff" I'd love to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GlacierShaker View Post
    So is a SS sleeve the best thing? Craig told me the UHMW and so I went with that. The guy who did it really didn't want to do it, I thought for other reasons, but did and now he is like "I told you so" He has it now and putting in a new product not metal not UHMW but he says it lathes and drills like metal. Said it will hold up. Nothing like the UHMW. When he did my UHMW last year he just didn't have a line on this new sleeve. I asked him about a SS sleeve and he totally against them.

More info??? Thanks guys

GS

Delrin- smellrin, put in a SS liner and dont look back. hahahaha
    Well, Armed Alaskan was talking about my SS liner, after 4 full summers of liquid sand paper and gravel it does show some wear, NOTHING like the aluminum stock liner though. When I pulled that thing apart we were both pretty shocked at how much it had worn, but it lasted 4 times longer than the stock liner so i cant really complain at all, and it has not lead an soft protected life, it definatly sees more silt and gravel than it should!
    I will take it to Greatland and have them rebuild my impellers and slap a new liner in and call it good.
    Come on Spring!
    Mike

You're killing me Mike, gee's I only added 3 summers my bad, I agree the Aluminum ring only lasted one summer. The SS only lasted 100 hundred hours give or take a few hours and the amount of wear to the liner was amazing. I would like to compare the Acetal (Delrin) to the SS so I might be a GP at this point. Something tells me you'll be the first to see the results of my Acetal (delrin) wear ring.

I wonder if the Glacier feed waters and all the silt has anything to do with the wear......

Quote Originally Posted by HCL View Post
    Delrin- smellrin, put in a SS liner and dont look back. hahahaha
    Well, Armed Alaskan was talking about my SS liner, after 4 full summers of liquid sand paper and gravel it does show some wear, NOTHING like the aluminum stock liner though. When I pulled that thing apart we were both pretty shocked at how much it had worn, but it lasted 4 times longer than the stock liner so i cant really complain at all, and it has not lead an soft protected life, it definatly sees more silt and gravel than it should!
    I will take it to Greatland and have them rebuild my impellers and slap a new liner in and call it good.
    Come on Spring!
    Mike

Will be interesting to see how the "Delrin-Smellrin" holds up. Hell it might be the best thing since peanut butter but we will never know until someone gives it a try.

The Glaicer silt and gravel actually act as a lubricant and have anti-wear properties, (haha) so my guess would be the cold water is the main errosion culprit. Too bad they dont make something to warm the water prior to entering the pump..

It's going hard to beat using SS liners compared to UHMW plastics when your running very shallow and gravel pumping. We decided to go with a HD duplex SS liner witch is holding up quiet well against excessive liner wear. The softer SS Merc impeller seems to wear a lot quicker then the duplex SS liner. Keeping your impeller clearances tight around 0.010 or less dose help lessen wear issues.

Claude:
    HD Duplex wear ring liner:

Inserted Merc housing: