Thread: Icefishing Clarence Lake April 1st and 2nd

Default Icefishing Clarence Lake April 1st and 2nd

We are going to fly to Clarence Lake (Northern Talkeetna Mtns)the beginning of April to have some fun trying to icefish. That lake and area is beautiful, but figuring out how to catch those lakers is challenging. Had a great time last year there, but no fish. Anyone have first hand experience at Clarence? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you want to PM that would be great.

Thanks,
    Brett

That's where the state record lake trout was caught

You'll hafta figure out what thier main food source is. That's the hard part. Bright colors might work, bring some whitefish with you too and try that. White tube jigs are worth a try, 4". Focus on drop offs and of course big flats where they may cruise. It's a fairly small lake compared to the usual laker location.

Release Lake Trout

the young boy that got the record was near the outlet, but it was in spring time. I heard the lake was hit hard during pipeline era like many other lake trout lakes and many fish were pulled out. Not to many true trophy fish left. Try big lures and tubes 6 inch . Ive seen lakers swim right past bait to chase lures.

I would suggest If you have electronics, make sure you bring them! dont fish blind
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thank you for the help guys.

Well I heard a rumor that the record was caught at another lake but was registerd at Clarence lake to protect the spot where the record was actually caught. Very reliable source told me this...

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Well I heard a rumor that the record was caught at another lake but was registerd at Clarence lake to protect the spot where the record was actually caught. Very reliable source told me this...
    I heard this too. If I had a chance to fish Clarence I would jump on it.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Heard the same thing, but was told where it was apparently caught.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I moose hunted there in 93' and fished it while I was there. Seen lots of fish bones washed up along the shore but only caught a few and none were over 16"...

How did the fishing trip go ?
    We are going to give it a try there this weekend 4-18 to 4-21 we will be getting there by snowmachine.. any pointers to share ?

the state record was caught out of crosswind but was told it was clarence lake. go look up the net sampling from fish and game, just shows and tells u where some big fish are

Quote Originally Posted by wesak81 View Post
    the state record was caught out of crosswind but was told it was clarence lake. go look up the net sampling from fish and game, just shows and tells u where some big fish are
    And you know this because? Rumors abound when it comes to big lakers.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I heard it was out of Harding.... Pretty respectable resources too

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I wouldnt doubt it Kwackkillincrew. ive hooked up with 2 king salmon size Lakers but they got away from me.
    1 the Frabil reel seized up
    2nd one i tried to horse him too slow down but all i got was a limp line after he broke off. he felt like 50lbs kings that i hook into at Montana creek. so freeking fast
    i will get him soon.
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

The reason why I think a lot of people (myself included) are skeptical of the state record lake trout being caught out of Clarence Lake is that it is such a small alpine/subalpine lake with low productivity and very little food available to grow a lake trout that big (47 lbs.). Certainly Harding Lake has plenty of huge lake trout. But the reason why I don't think that story holds water is because supposedly the 12 year old kid who caught it said he was out on a fly-out fishing trip with his dad. He was fishing with a mepps spinner off a drop off by the lake outlet when he hooked into the behemoth. Now if his story is true, then all the road accessible lakes would be out (Lake Louise, Harding Lake, Paxson Lake etc.). Clarence Lake would be a possibility, but is it a big enough (and deep enough) lake to support such a huge fish? What is there to eat in it? Sculpins, sticklebacks maybe? I doubt any whitefish live in it. But I haven't been there personally so I can't say for sure.