Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if you guys are bored come up sheefishing

Default if you guys are bored come up sheefishing

just throwing this out there for you icefishers who want to catch large fish through the ice. sheefishing around kotzebue is going to be getting really good in the next couple of weeks usually around mid april. There is great fishing to be had right around town where transportation other than your feet won't be necessary. most of the time just a few hundred yards north of town and sometime closer can be fantistic for fish up to 40lbs. the average being smaller of course but you'll certainly get some in the 20lb range pretty easy. when the fishing is good there will be many holes already made out there and if not people out there have no problems sharing equipment. 80lb braided line and a large spoon (krocodile, doctor spoon, ect.) will work fine. about 20-30yrds of line on a stick will do the trick. most fish will be caught in less than 15 ft deep. the tradition up here is pretty much fish right next to someone to be social so don't be surprised if somebody you've never seen before makes a hole 5 ft from you its just part of the scene. went out a week or two ago and got maybe 6-8 but that was a bad day. i might even be out there as well. give it a try if you like icefishing nothing beats it. ill post pics after my next outing.

I would LOVE to catch a sheefish, but I think I would prefer to do so on a fly rod. Still, catching fish of that size through the ice has got to be a pretty exciting experience.

BigCox works out of Kotz and set me up for 4 days after mid-April, I schedule my flight already and cant wait to visit! Going to try and catch one on a lake trout rod. Maybe see you in April?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

im sure ill be around, going hunting a little bit but definately fish a few days too. you'll be up during the best time. i'm usually sitting on a blue RMK with a blue alaska sledworks crossfox sled or a red arctic cat 650 4 wheeler. possibly a PBR in hand. if you see me come on over.

So does sheefish rival halibut like they say, when it comes to table fare?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

its a member of the whitefish family so it has white semi-flaky meat. I'll be honest and say that halibut is still better than sheefish. Sheefish is good but i think its just a little fishier. Its tough to beat halibut. As is with most fish the smaller of the fish are usually better eating but they are all very good even the big ones. Some people say its better than halibut (not me) but i think thats a stretch. You'll have to be the judge. battered and fried it's pretty close to the same.

Wow, that Original Post,...is darn tempting

Cool idea, wish I could come up there

and the idea of "Being Sociable, on the Grounds," that just sounds like a good ole time
    you folks have a good thing going on there

Lookin' forward to your pics
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Wow, that Original Post,...is darn tempting

Cool idea, wish I could come up there

and the idea of "Being Sociable, on the Grounds," that just sounds like a good ole time
    you folks have a good thing going on there

Lookin' forward to your pics
    Indeed......sounds like a great time..... I can't imagine pulling one of those monsters out through a hole in the ice......lol

brian if you go holler...a buddy of mine did shee's on the big stick and loved it. Unfortunatly it was out of my price range at the time. He also did the spring trip. Its all about timing and without a local contact.....makes it a bit tough.

keep us posted when it picks up an we will see if we canmake it , as it soundslike a good trip SID

4 days till Kotzebue...cant wait for the experience!

Default sheefish

good luck up there, and bring some heavy line
    photo[1].JPG

Default Ice fishing

I was thinking of going this weekend with a friend to go ice fishing. Can you walk from the Nullagvik hotel to the fishing spot? We would like to get together with somebody that can give use some tips. One would be an ice auger or hole to fish from. Any help would be nice.

nice fish alaskapike. i've been kinda sidetracked with spring bear hunting but ill hopefully get out this week and get some more. last week we made a couple holes caught fish steady for half an hour gave most away and brought home maybe a half dozen nice ones. my wife hooked a "huge" one that straightened the ring on the swivel (thats her versoion of the story) she got at least one 30 lber and she said the "one that got away" was waaaay bigger you can walk from the hotel very soon the fish may move even closer like right off the front of the tech center. i knows its weird but sometime you can catch them in about two feet of water on the edge of the sandbar as they chase little fish up. big doctor spoons or heavy krocodiles in silver or gold are usually perfect.

CJ your pm box is full. were thinking of heading up in the next week or two.

Sucess in Kotzebue..the fishing was slow but we got into some that did not fit through the hole. The biggest was caught by Big Cox and went 48 inches in length. will be downloading video and updating website this week.

Here is a couple of nice ones I caught for reference

45.jpg47.jpg

Wow!!! Nice fish Jedi!!!! It's going to be hard catching those teeny 30 plus inch lakers!!! Lol. I doubt that!!

Way to make it happen!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Sucess in Kotzebue..the fishing was slow but we got into some that did not fit through the hole.
    I think I'd be making a bigger hole...!!!........lol

C&R? Can I assume that they aren't that good to eat when they get that big?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I think I'd be making a bigger hole...!!!........lol

C&R? Can I assume that they aren't that good to eat when they get that big?
    I kept 2 fish from the trip...the rest went back in.

The trip, chase, and tugs were all fun. I still cant believe I caught fish that met or exceed 45 inches in length...maybe have to try another trip in the future and eclipse the 50 inch mark.

Also I must say how friendly the community seemed while I was there, everyone I met was friendly and helpful.

good times

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I kept 2 fish from the trip...the rest went back in.

The trip, chase, and tugs were all fun. I still cant believe I caught fish that met or exceed 45 inches in length...maybe have to try another trip in the future and eclipse the 50 inch mark.

Also I must say how friendly the community seemed while I was there, everyone I met was friendly and helpful.

good times
    Let me get this straight.........does this mean that the ones that didn't fit through the whole you either lost or cut the line? And does that mean that maybe they were probably over the 48" mark.....or at least a lot fatter...???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast