Thread: 7mm, for bear.

Question 7mm, for bear.

I'm using my TC Encore 7mm. for a black bear hunt in the end of May, I know that it is not the ideal choice for brown bear, but I will be in brown bear territory and if I happen to see one I would like to have the best bullet for the situation. My question is which factory bullet to use? Originally, I thought the Nosler Partition would be best, but can only find it in a 160 grain.
    I did find a 175 gr. Nosler Partition form Conley Precision Cartridge but am not at all familiar with them. If the Nosler Partition is not the best idea then what is? Any help from others who are much more versed on this subject than I am is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kort

I have never even shot a 7mm so my opinion may not be worth much. But if I had to use one on a Brown Bear I would want the biggest Nosler or a Barnes that I could push down the barrel.

- Clint

Default Practice Quick Reloads....

as many of the big grizzlies and brownies don't die after one shot, no matter how well placed. I'd recommend a LOT of practice reloading quickly from hunting positions, and getting off a good second shot.

As for the bullet, go with a strong one - Fail Safe, Swift A Frame, Barnes X....whatever your gun likes.

Good luck,

Michael

Default 7mm & brown bear.

My son took a sleeping mountain griz (26" skull) with a 7mm Dakota 160 gr NP out at 3200 fps. Shot placement is paramount, so 160 gr will get 'er done....but 175 gr. woud be better. Barnes XXX are also excellent if they shoot well in your firearm. Good luck.

As I have said before, I have shot everything here in Alaska except Buffalo and Polar bear with a 7 x57mm mauser. Shooting from 136 grain slugs (which my rifle does not like) to 195 grain slugs, (which are not all that accurate either) It will shot 150 to 160 grain bullets in the same hole time after time. Shot placement is everything. I used to have a box of old (1960s) Norma .283 bullets (yeah thats right 283) that were made out of some sort of super hard stuff. I think they were 160 grain. They would really heat up the gun after a couple shots. You could hardly scratch the jacketing with a pocket knife. Talk about a good bone and skull round.

It is good that I now can afford different rifles, since I can't shoot as well as I did 35 years ago when I built that rifle. Now I need bigger calibers to make up for blurry eyes and a less steady hold.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Have not yet (yet) hunted brown bear, but I have taken a lot of other stuff in my life, and the 7MM Magnum is one of my favorite all around medium-large game calibers. Although there are better suited calibers for big bear, I personally would have no qualms about using my LH 700 in 7MM Mag with premium 160 or better yet 175 grain loads. For sure it will turn a black bear into a dead black bear without breaking a sweat...

Nice choice of gun! Like others have said shoot accurately and only one shot is all you should need with either species of bear. But definetly try to pick the heaviest and toughest bullet that will shoot accurately. If you get 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with a 160 grain generic deer bullet, and get 1.5 inch groups at 100 with a 170 Swift A-frame ect go with the premium. 1.5 is good enough. And practice shooting it sitting, kneeling ect. That is one of the great things about the encore. Buy a differnt barrel to do the bulk of your practicing.

I shoot Federal 175gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws out of my 7mm Tikka. Seems to shoot them pretty good and the bullet is as tough as its name.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    I shoot Federal 175gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws out of my 7mm Tikka. Seems to shoot them pretty good and the bullet is as tough as its name.
    Amen on Trophy Bonded Bear claws in a 7mm and federal has a good load, should shoot well in your 7mm. My hand loads in my 7mmSTW shoots Trophy Bonded Bear Claws real good. Good hunting and be safe, take your time and don't rush any part of the hunt just enjoy it and be alert.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Amen on Trophy Bonded Bear claws in a 7mm and federal has a good load, should shoot well in your 7mm. My hand loads in my 7mmSTW shoots Trophy Bonded Bear Claws real good. Good hunting and be safe, take your time and don't rush any part of the hunt just enjoy it and be alert.
    MY 7mmSTW also shoots bonded bear claws well and after seeing what it did to the moose I shot, I am sold on them.

I hope a 7 mag will work on black bear, cuz my kid will be shooting a 270 Win w/ 130 grain TSX's tomorrow night at a black bear (we hope), hopefully it works. (grin)

My buddie shot is first bear last year with a 270. Not sure what the load was, but it worked good. It was an average size bear. 30 yard shot.

Shot placement is paramount,
    +1.

--Mike

Wink 7 x57??

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    As I have said before, I have shot everything here in Alaska except Buffalo and Polar bear with a 7 x57mm mauser. Shooting from 136 grain slugs (which my rifle does not like) to 195 grain slugs, (which are not all that accurate either) It will shot 150 to 160 grain bullets in the same hole time after time. Shot placement is everything. I used to have a box of old (1960s) Norma .283 bullets (yeah thats right 283) that were made out of some sort of super hard stuff. I think they were 160 grain. They would really heat up the gun after a couple shots. You could hardly scratch the jacketing with a pocket knife. Talk about a good bone and skull round.

It is good that I now can afford different rifles, since I can't shoot as well as I did 35 years ago when I built that rifle. Now I need bigger calibers to make up for blurry eyes and a less steady hold.
    Float Pilot, Always liked that cal. I always wanted to build a rifle, 7 x57, 8 mm walnut stock, simple fixed power scope ect. Can you tell us about the one you built? There is somthing to be said for simple tools! Thanks Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30