Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Sportsman Chest Holster

Default Alaska Sportsman Chest Holster

Any opinions (HAH! who am I kidding?) on the Alaska Sportsman Chest Holster?
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

If you're talking about the black nylon one, I hate it. A nylon strap and buckle retaining the gun- takes two hands to draw. The lower loop strap to belt- difficult with outer garments.

I ditched mine and went to the Diamond D. I love it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Diamond D is too expensive.
    Love the black nylon one. Quick, easy to adjust, water does not affect it, no care needed and easy to draw from with one hand.
    BK

Yup the black nylon one. Looks like two completely opposite opinions. Looks kind of bulky to me, also (I'm a woman on the smaller size). The Diamond D looks excellent but I'm trying to be frugal. On the other hand buying a crappy holster might be a false economy, so I'm trying to figure it out. Also, this would be for a large frame semiautomatic and I can't tell from their photos if it has a magazine pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    Yup the black nylon one. Looks like two completely opposite opinions. Looks kind of bulky to me, also (I'm a woman on the smaller size). The Diamond D looks excellent but I'm trying to be frugal. On the other hand buying a crappy holster might be a false economy, so I'm trying to figure it out. Also, this would be for a large frame semiautomatic and I can't tell from their photos if it has a magazine pouch.
    That's what I had, yes it has a mag pouch. I gave it away a few years ago, otherwise I'd give it to you to hate
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Plus one more with akheloce. I have never heard of anyone compaining of the Diamond D. Been wearing mine about 5 years now.

I have the Diamond D for my 7 1/2 Casull and love it. Heavy gun, but it stays put till ya wanna draw it even without using the safety strap. Have a nylon one for my S&W 329 and it sucks if you don't keep the safety strap latched when you bend over. Gun will fall in the river or mud everytime.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

You can either get a holster or a nylon bag. It's up to you but personally I prefer a holster. I see no problem with leather. Leather holster, leather boots, leather saddles, leather rifle slings, and cows, etc. They don't melt when they get wet.

http://www.simplyrugged.com makes great holsters also. He's an Alaskan moved down to AZ. I've got a pancake holster for my redhawk. He makes a "chesty puller" harness for his holsters as well. You can wear em strongside, crossdraw or hang em on your chest.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

I really like the simply rugged sourdough pancake holster for my 4" Redhawk 44. I use a nylon belt with it now.

I have the "Chesty Puller" harness also, but I'm too scrawny for it. Half price if anyone wants it.

No problem with my nylon bag. Thousands of miles of ATV and snowmachine use on mine. Dozens of miles on foot. Suck up the strap tight. Mine draws one handed with no issue.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Save the money and buy the Diamond-D it is worth every dime. I have the nylon bag, it is a car seat holster now because it sucks as anything else IMO . . . Its one of those you won‘t know how lacking it is till you try something good.

I also have the Simply Rugged pancake and chesty puller stuff for it, the holster is great as a belt holster. However the chest setup is okay but design isn’t that great compared to the Diamond-D . . . narrow thin straps that cut in, belvas buckles that are hard to adjust, snap that digs in and is hard to work with gloves, etc. Spend the bucks and get a Diamond-D chest rig first then you won’t be like me and own all three but only use the one.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

A Lady would find the Diamond D Bandoleer holster much more suitable than the chest holster. BTW, my wife has one.

The so-called A S may be a secure way to carry a handgun, but probably shouldn't be considered a holster. By it's design your gun wouldn't be easily, or speedily accessible.

Also, all those straps look like a nightmare, for on/off and comfort. (Straps, on the Diamond D chest holster are not an issue.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Another vote for Diamond D. I have one for my .44 and love it. The nylon bag hasn't seen any action since I picked the leather one up.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Another Diamond D vote I got one with a really nice Ruger blackhawk stainless with 4 5/8 inch barrel in 45 colt. I love the Diamond D. I will not buy another cheapo nylon setup ever again. I ave no idea why I have wasted $100's pn those crap holsters in the past when I could have got one of these and been done. I also have a simply rugged pancake and love it too.

I carry a 5" SRH in a Sportsman chest holster and have no complaints for as much as it actually gets used.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I like nylon sidearm holsters if they are for your hip (leather is still better). My problem with nylon/synthetic shoulder and chest holsters is that the holster itself requires a strap to secure the gun which means if you have a bad strap the holster suffers (they also like to use velcro on nylon/synthetic holster and i have not seen velcro used on a holster that could not have been better served by button or buckle or other more secure contraption) the straps are also too limp and tangle more easily, which isn't a huge problem but it is inconvenient and takes longer to put on and take off. I just ordered a diamond d guide's choice for my father for his S&W 629 5". I also have a Galco Miami shoulder holster for my glock 20 which I love and carries easily and comfortably.

I know the guides choice and most galcos are literally twice the price of the sportsmans nylon holster but I bet anyone considering a shoulder or chest holster would be appreciate them much more.

also not to be over-looked leather looks cooler and that's important.

I have a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake with chest strap rig ordered for my SBH. Having never seen one of these in person I am relying to some point by those on this forum that have praise for them. Before I had one of the nylon ones, can't remember the make but one of the little plastic buckles broke. I think I paid $45 at Fredies for it and it wasn't very good. I had to keep the hammer strap on or else the gun could fall out, but then that means if I were to need the gun suddenly I would have to get past that snap buckle first.

Thanks, guys - this has been really helpful! I think you've sold me on spending twice as much for a better holster. (Yikes)

Buy once, cry once. Diamond D does very nice work.

Well I like the Alaskan Sportsman Holster. Large auto fits my glock well, went with the 6" bbl cause that's what I put in the gun. Then got the long slide. Plus fit my browning buckmark too at the time. Now it fits my .22 kit for the G20. Just as many straps as the DD! Honestly, I hunt alot, as it was brought to my attention! But for as much as I am in the woods or on a river, I don't recall seeing a DD. Mine wears nicely with my pack, never comes off unless changing outer layers or goin to bed! Seriously! However, if you get model specific should be a good fit. Some I have seen recently look, well are larger than the one I have, not sure why but looks that way. You can get with mag pouch, or ammo slots under a velcro cover. The DD looks like they ride lower than the Alaskan, like mine high on chest, stays outa the way of pack chest strap and bino harness. DD goes to a lot of gun shoes, try one on, or go to good local gunshops in town and try on the alaska, or maybe both at same location. The shoulder strap goes on weak side outside of your neck, just hangs on shoulder, then elastic strap goes around back, same for the DD, just no elastic. Don't put on over your head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast