Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Baiting Updates?

Default Bear Baiting Updates?

I went and checked mine today. Nothing has hit it yet. Though, there's plenty of fresh tracks around, plus a good size brown bear in that area. 7.5" front pad. I'm hoping for a hit by this weekend.

Anyone being hit yet? Kill anything?

I'm in 20E, and no baits hit yet either, theres still snow there. Drove all the way to Chicken and past it 7 miles to the bridge, didn't see a thing...drove the Denali HWY, for two days the whole way didn't see anything either still quite a bit of snow there too. I would say should see something around memorial day weekend...come June they'll hit it hard...k

I'm at the North portion of 20B and checked my station yesterday and nothng has hit mine or my buddy's yet

Default PWS

Checked three stands last night. One may have been visited lightly. Hard to tell, no tracks but some things moved around and a little food gone.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default stands

Checked mine and 1 of 2 were hit. My buddies 2 stands have been HIT HARD for a week already. They shot one. Things are just heating up!

Tried telling you boy's,still a week away from any real action.I'm hauling in my bait this weekend to Cantwell.

Northway,you been tricked!The wolves are hitting you,LOL!

They are sealing them at F&G in Fairbanks. Mostly big boars being sealed right now.

Thumbs up Well...

We got 6 put in last weekend in our usual spots and on half of the sites the bears had already been in there digging around wondering where the chow was! Things are looking good!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    ....Northway,you been tricked!The wolves are hitting you,LOL!
    For me it's usually red squirrels and ravens.

Mark-don't forget those pesky marten.I watched one a few years ago for the whole bear season get almost as big as a red fox.Ended up getting top dollar for that guy after trapping season!

Default not early or late

I guess it depends on place to place, but I normally am hit by the first week of May. The earliest I have seen bear at a site was April 29. Don't get me wrong, the bears aren't eating much yet and them coming in often and spending time at the site doesn't happen until about May 18th. I always see May 18th as "the day" things really start happening, kind of like about Sept. 11/12 for moose to start "acting" up.

Trailblazer, no wolves here, but could be a hell of a big squirrel! with fangs and large teeth! It might be a booner! I guess I better set up the camera!

Default activity

Well I got my stands etc in yesterday ganna bait up tomorrow, I stopped putting bait out on the opening day (may 1st on refuge) because it would take 10 days or so to get a hit. Waiting till this week usually gets hits faster also not so much gas spent driving out and checking every other day for 10 days until something happens. This way im normally hit within 2 or 3 days. Usually the 3rd week of may and the holiday weekend for me is when activity really is in full swing.
    Cant wait, nothin like the feeling when you hear those sticks popping and leaves crunching after sitting in silence for a few hrs, and then mr blackie pokes his head out of the bushes and lumbers over to the food. I never get tired of the excitement when one finally shows itself.

Default soup can poop

I found two piles the size of soup cans turds.WoW

Default Soup Can Turds

Soup can turds huh? Were you baiting elephants ?

Talking Scientific Studies

Quote Originally Posted by trapperschmidt View Post
    I found two piles the size of soup cans turds.WoW
    A biologist a few years ago did his graduate research on the size of bear dung in relation to bear size. He collected many, many samples and cataloged all of them to help with the imperical data. Things were going well with the research untill he came to the field measurement part of live bears with the inside calipers. They did award him an honorary degree after his research studies killed him.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Mark-don't forget those pesky marten.I watched one a few years ago for the whole bear season get almost as big as a red fox.Ended up getting top dollar for that guy after trapping season!
    At least you didn't feed him for free!

things will start picking up here in the next week or so, i hardly ever get any blacks in on the first 2 weeks of may, i have gottin in grizzleys already

Smile Checked mine

Baited mine 2 days ago and checked it today it was hit. Will sit it tomorrow and take pictures of what is coming in and if it's black may have to feed it some carbon.

Both of my stations in 20A had been hit by last weekend. Quite a bit of food was gone from both barrels. Gonna head out saturday and see what happens

-Eric

Default Same Here!

Been getting hit hard for two weeks now! Feeding em good! Making them bigger! Ha Ha Ha........ just need a break at work so I can get out and sit the stand...............got some good pics! Good luck to all, hopefully this weekend will work out..........
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast