Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating on which upgrade to do...

Default Debating on which upgrade to do...

So I am at an impasse, I have enough money to do one upgrade for this hunting season... spent too much on my Bareny's pack lol... I have both a lower end Vortex Crossfire 10x42 binos and a low end Winchester 15-45x60 spotting scope. Now should I upgrade my binos or the spotting scope? Planning on hunting black bear, moose, and hopefully a bou, for some extra info. $800 is about my top range...

IMO You have to find 'em before you can shoot 'em. If your scope performs adequately and you have intimate knowledge of your range and limitations with the scope, binos should be top priority. Good binos perform way more tasks than a rifle scope so they are more important. Here some benefits of good quality binos:

1) Spot game better than cheap binos
    2) Distinguish trophy quality better and faster than cheapies
    3) Better ability to see dangers (bears, other hunters, etc)
    4) Quality optics will not stress eyes and will allow for continuous glassing
    5) Are a good investment and will hold value more than cheapies
    6) Give you ability to see better in low light situations

I personally would upgrade the spotting scope, vortex are generally decent binos. I know those low end spotters flat out suck! If 800 is your top price, I would save up a little longer so you can get a really good spotter now instead of having to upgrade again in a year told two after somebody lets you look through a swaro or Zeiss. You can find some good deals on them all the time on Craigslist or this site. I've seen them range from $1200 to $2000. You can get a better look at your game with the spotter than the binos. I generally use my binos for a quick glance, if I see something interesting, I pull out the spotter and get a better look, so the spotter is what most of my money went into.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I misread your conundrum. I should have addressed a Spotting Scope and not a "rifle scope." Anyway, binos are needed on every hunt but a spotting scope is not needed on every hunt.

Leupold 20 - 60 x 80 SX1 Ventana Angled Spotting Scope w/ Free Shipping and Handling @ $449.49 and

Leupold BX-2 Cascade 10x42mm Binoculars w/ Free Shipping @ $299.99

At opticsplanet.com…they are not top of the line but a quality upgrade on both items for under $800

I am with PacWest on this, good binos go a long ways on every hunt. I have never tried any of the Vortex products but have heard plenty of good reviews of them from friends so if you are not happy with the Vortex binos I would replace them with a pair you are happy with, then start saving up for a good quality spotter. If you don't want to spend the big bucks on a spotter but still want a good one look at the Pentax PF-65 ED, there is even one on craigslist right now(no its not mine).

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/3648672096.html

I will throw in and agree, upgrade the bino's. You will using them much more than a spotting scope, especially in the hunting you have listed. Besides, a top of the line spotting scope will cost yo more than the $800 while you can get a very good pair of binoculars for less than $600. Go to the Sportsman's Show and look for specials. Boondocks always has them.

Not sure, but the vortex binoculars I have are incredible. We had a pair of 10x42 vortex HD's and a pair of swaro's 10x42's and there is "very little" difference in the glass. I am guessing your bino's are fine, but I do agree, you'll spend much more time behind your bino's than a spotter. If you are happy with your bino's upgrade your spotter. I hunted sheep for about 17 years before my partner or I even carried binoculars with us. I do like having them with me now, but doubt we missed seeing much without them.

Is this all cause I let you look through my binos....lol Save up and get the best once... what you have will do fine for the hunts you have planned.. If you dont believe me when I get you out for a bear we will just use your glass... for the record I hear nothing but good thing about vortex glass...

If you were specifically hunting sheep I would advocate for the spotting scope upgrade, but for most other game binoculars get more use and are more important for finding game in thick timber and brush. Get a better set of binoculars and save up for a spotting scope at a later date.

One very important part that is being overlooked here is whether or not you are good at spotting game to begin with. Plenty of folks out there brag about having the most expensive and best glass on the planet but still can't make out an animal in the brush right in front of them. Good glass does nothing if the operator can't "see" to begin with. I am by far not the best at locating game but my Cabelas Pine ridge 10x42 binos have served me well for many years and many, many hunts. Less than 200 retail but I got mine for 80 bucks to the door years ago. I don't mind beating them up and when I need to see farther or zoom in the high end spotter comes out. Unfortunately the spotter is always borrowed Someday I will get one and it will be a higher end one. So I will go against the grain here and say I lean toward a better spotter.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    One very important part that is being overlooked here is whether or not you are good at spotting game to begin with. Plenty of folks out there brag about having the most expensive and best glass on the planet but still can't make out an animal in the brush right in front of them. Good glass does nothing if the operator can't "see" to begin with. I am by far not the best at locating game but my Cabelas Pine ridge 10x42 binos have served me well for many years and many, many hunts. Less than 200 retail but I got mine for 80 bucks to the door years ago. I don't mind beating them up and when I need to see farther or zoom in the high end spotter comes out. Unfortunately the spotter is always borrowed Someday I will get one and it will be a higher end one. So I will go against the grain here and say I lean toward a better spotter.
    You are terrible at finding game, can't even find two white sheep up in the black rocks right in front of you. I think it is your binos not your lack of skill though since you seem to find all the bears and wolverines that come through camp but fail to notify your partner in time to get a shot off.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I think it is your binos not your lack of skill though since you seem to find all the bears and wolverines that come through camp but fail to notify your partner in time to get a shot off.
    Perhaps waking up before 10am would help

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Perhaps waking up before 10am would help
    I need my beauty sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I need my beauty sleep!
    its an age thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    its an age thing...
    Yep you geezers are past the point of beauty sleep actually helping so you get up before dawn just to harrass us younger people.

getting lectures from a few professional birders during an observation of chickadee beak deformities that have steadily increased across Alaska, the birders all rave over the Vortex binocs. I've looked through them....they ARE CRISP!

Your spotting scope should be replaced, sounds like you're set for binocs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If you were specifically hunting sheep I would advocate for the spotting scope upgrade, but for most other game binoculars get more use and are more important for finding game in thick timber and brush. Get a better set of binoculars and save up for a spotting scope at a later date.
    This is my take as well. I use my binos on all my hunts, hikes, and boating trips - prolly my best investment for outdoor adventure.

Thanks for the input guys... And yes Bear, your glass ruined me lol. I will say my Vortex Crossfires are decent and I guess I'll give them a go for a while longer and get a few more saved up for the highest quality. And plus giving me more time to look through my VCs will decide to upgrade them or just go for the spotter.

Quote Originally Posted by ODGamer View Post
    Thanks for the input guys... And yes Bear, your glass ruined me lol. I will say my Vortex Crossfires are decent and I guess I'll give them a go for a while longer and get a few more saved up for the highest quality. And plus giving me more time to look through my VCs will decide to upgrade them or just go for the spotter.
    Told you not to look through them... Its a tough on for sure and always a hot topic around here too... Some good post here so read through them. I will say this to ya, If I could only take one piece of glass on a sheep hunt its a no brainer...it would be my spotter... If I were to only take one piece of glass on the other non mountain hunts it would be my binos... just how it is for me..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast