Thread: Jet in Cold Weather

Default Jet in Cold Weather

Hey folks, just moved up to the beautiful state and am curious about a running jet boat in near freezing temps. I know that its to cold now, but when the weather warms up and get down to 28ish at night, will I be able to run my jet safely? I have a woolridge with a 350\hammy jet, with the closed loop cooling system. I came up from the south and havent had this problem before. I would like to get it out in Whittier or Seward for a spin weather depending. Thanks in advance for the replies!

So long as the jet is in the water, it won't freeze. If it is on the trailer, there may be some ice that forms inside the unit. Same as the lower unit of your kicker. Make sure it is in the water. We have run boats in the salt and on rivers when below freezing without a problem with the jet. We had problems with freezing spray on the decks and windshield, but not the jet. We have gone through slushy ice, and the jet chewed it up like it was sand. If it gets really cold, you might want a way to drain the manifolds at night if you are camping or something. We camped on the Yukon and it got to 15 degrees at least one night, and froze most every night. The boats were pissed off when trying to start them up, but it had nothing to do with the jets, just old Ford motors with bead head. Bring her up, fire her up, and rip.

You will have no problems with a jet in cold water. Even in the dead of summer most bodies of water up here are just a few degrees above freezing. Most boats minus the bigger ocean rigs run jets up here. You will be A-ok

My biggest question is about putting the boat away and trailering after coming off the water. I know that most of the water should drain, but will there be enough residual moisture to cause a problem in 30 degree weather? This would of course include draining the risers and head exchanger.

Drain them as you stated above and it won't be an issue. Just use common sense when you pull it out.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    My biggest question is about putting the boat away and trailering after coming off the water. I know that most of the water should drain, but will there be enough residual moisture to cause a problem in 30 degree weather? This would of course include draining the risers and head exchanger.
    You shouldn't have a problem with your closed loop system the boat sounds new enough that you will only have water in the sand trap as well as the heat exchanger. Most engine builders mount the heat exchanger so that it is self draining " tilting towards the rear " so it drains it self. I would still pop the end caps off to make sure after each use if it is going to be super cold or for winter storage.
    If the boat has the motor forward option you will wan't to drain the hose that comes from the sand trap to the heat exchanger, there will be a T with a screw on cap where you can drain this water that is left in it. This T is a good place to hook up a hose with fresh water to flush the system out as well.
    I have run the boat as cold as -3 in the AM hrs hunting and the temps were in the teens for 250 miles on the way home. The only thing that would cause us a problem is the gas tank vents icing over from the cold temps and hot exhaust at the rear of the boat. This boat had the vents on the transom not far from the exhaust. We would run till the engine shut down and hop back there chip off the ice hear the tank get some fresh air then take off again.
    This trip was the coldest I have even been on and we were quick to get our moose and head home with temps like that, many others were not as lucky and stayed to long and payed the price that year.

Talking

Hey guys, thanks for the wisdom, looks like ill be on the water sooner than I thought!!