Thread: Replacing surge brakes

Southcentral AK

Default Replacing surge brakes

I need to replace the brakes on my trailer. Calipers seized, rotors ok, lines good, actuator needs replacing. Was quoted $250 each for the calipers (!), $250 for the actuator, and 5.5 hrs labor. Seems way high to me. Etrailers has the calipers for $90 each, actuator for $125. 5.5 hrs labor seems a lot. I'd love opinions of those who've replaced brakes, and advice about whether its something that someone reasonably handy can do themselves. Working in the cold, aside.
    Uisce Beatha
    Harbercraft Discovery 2025 HT

Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward

I did it in a few hours myself on a king trailer double axle..was not that difficult.

Biggest thing dor me was removing older ones was not easy..after that, piece of cake. Was over 5 years ago so not to keen on details. Only experience was personnel brake jobs in my own truck.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Anchorage, Alaska

Those prices seem a bit high and as far as doing it yourself like Duckhunter01 said its like doing a brake job on your truck or car. I suggest doing one side then doing the other so you know how it all goes back together. Bleeding them can be a bit challenging some days though but a good assistant can make that go a lot easier.

Eagle River

I ordered and received a kit from an online supplier for $450.00 -$500.00, calipers both sides, coupler/actuator, reverse solenoid, hoses, pads, rotors, seals and bearings, a complete setup. If you have any aptitude you can do it easily. I did it in about 3 hours with 1 hand...literally.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein