Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Meat Hauling Pack

Default Best Meat Hauling Pack

I am stoked to say I have booked my first AK moose hunt for this coming fall. I am looking for some of your expertise on packs. I currently have a Mystery Ranch pack with nice frame that I have used to pack out numerous elk. It works great as a daypack as well as a meat hauler for elk and is very comfortable, highly recommended if you donít have one. I guess I am wondering is it best for me to only take my mystery Ranch Crew Cab and I can use it as a daypack and when I down a moose strap it to that pack with the load sling or should I be taking a smaller day pack and an external pack frame? Have any of you used the Mystery Ranch with the load sling to pack out a moose, how did it do? Thanks for the help.

Mystery Ranch pack will work just fine. If you want a a pack or frame that will be the ultimate, get a Barney's freighter frame with a hunter, pinnacle or Yukon bag. Then you are set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    Mystery Ranch pack will work just fine. If you want a a pack or frame that will be the ultimate, get a Barney's freighter frame with a hunter, pinnacle or Yukon bag.
    .....if you have an extra $700 laying around......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I can't afford the Barney's pack but has anyone used the Kelty Cache Hauler for a pack frame? Or do I stick with the Mystery Ranch. Thanks

Which ever pack is strapped to your partner's back.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

What's a day pack.. I would suggest to always carry the pack with you that you plan on hauling meat out with. Any pack will work its just a matter of how many trips and how much weight you want to haul in each trip.. As said Barney's is the best for hauling big loads...

You might also check out our YouTube channel, we have a video called "Tools for Meat and Trophy Care", and it says some things about backpacks for hauling meat. Yes, it's a Barney's pack, but you might get some ideas there. You might also check out our Swap and Sell forums. You'd be surprised what turns up in there. You might find a great deal on a pack...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by ridenmuley View Post
    Have any of you used the Mystery Ranch with the load sling to pack out a moose, how did it do? Thanks for the help.
    Yes. Moose, several caribou and sacks full of reds... It did just fine.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

2 words......Bull Pack

You say you are "booked" for this fall.

Is this guided?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by ridenmuley View Post
    I am stoked to say I have booked my first AK moose hunt for this coming fall. I am looking for some of your expertise on packs. I currently have a Mystery Ranch pack with nice frame that I have used to pack out numerous elk. It works great as a daypack as well as a meat hauler for elk and is very comfortable, highly recommended if you donít have one. I guess I am wondering is it best for me to only take my mystery Ranch Crew Cab and I can use it as a daypack and when I down a moose strap it to that pack with the load sling or should I be taking a smaller day pack and an external pack frame? Have any of you used the Mystery Ranch with the load sling to pack out a moose, how did it do? Thanks for the help.
    My apologies for the slight hijack. You said the Barney's pack is out of your price range and were looking for info specific on the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. I have not used that pack, so I can't say one way or the other. What I can say after packing out a few moose by backpack is that you need a large main bag for those quarters, which allows you to cinch the meat down really well. Moose quarters can weigh over 170# and measure 48" tall. So you need a bag that accommodates that girth and length, with the ability to tie it down securely so it doesn't flop from side to side when you are leaning around obstacles on rough terrain. The second thing is whether or not the strap system (shoulder harness and waist belt) can be adjusted to custom fit your body. Nothing worse than packing heavy loads with a system that doesn't fit your wingspan and fuselage.

If the Mystery Ranch pack fits those criteria, it might work.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Best Meat Hauling Pack

Nate's Moose.jpg

I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents since you asked about the Kelty Cache Hauler and someone else mentioned the Bull Pack. I've packed moose out with both. I'm sure these are not the "best" meat hauling packs, but they are the best packs that i've found in my price range. Both are great packs for the money. After packing out 5 moose in the last 3 years, they both are holding up very well and showing no signs of deterioration. Last year, I needed a third pack for son #2. I ended up going with another Kelty Cache Hauler. I chose it over the Bull Pack because the wings and buckles make it really easy to just load and go without messing with cords/bungies to tie everything down. I originally was worried that the straps and buckles on the wings were too light duty to handle a moose quarter, but they've proved me wrong.

Glad to hear that DGW! I picked one of the Kelly packs up last year as a dedicated meat retrieval frame to use on wheeler based hunts but haven't had the chance to use it yet.

i may not say the "best" but for the money i have a suggestion. For around a hundred bucks or a little more the cabelas outfitter pack frame did fine for the large moose i got last year. its welded and not held together with cotter pins so its pretty stable. a little heavy but if you dont want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars then i think you'd be pleased with it. I also find a fold out shelf on the bottom of a pack very important for moose quarters. haven't tried the pack you were refering to for elk. i've hunted elk most of my life and moose quarters are probably twice as heavy as an elk quater and are a real challenge to get up walking with a hind quarter by yourself.

If you already have a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab and are comfortable using it packing elk out just stick with that and spend your money on other stuff or save it for that next rifle/pistol that catches your eye. I use a MR NICE 6500 and would never think about spending money on a pack frame just to haul things out on. I have too many other hobbies and kids that take up my money.

The Mystery Ranch Crew Cab is flexible enough to hold and support moose quarters.

The question is can your legs and body haul that much weight? More than likely you will break the quarters down if you are hauling any long distances.

I know someone with a kifaru longhunter that will do just fine

QUICK QUESTION...when you pack the moose quarter out have you seperated the rear at the humerous/tibia-fibula joint and the front quarter at the humerous/radius-ulna joint? I can't see someone packing out a 4-5 foot long quarter in the willows...

Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
    I can't see someone packing out a 4-5 foot long quarter in the willows...
    Well see it.......because we do......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
    QUICK QUESTION...when you pack the moose quarter out have you seperated the rear at the humerous/tibia-fibula joint and the front quarter at the humerous/radius-ulna joint? I can't see someone packing out a 4-5 foot long quarter in the willows...
    On hind quarters I seperate the big leg bone at the knee but leave the big tendon and leave it long to be able to hang it from and just debone that bone as there is not much on it.. Fronts come out whole... And yes they are long..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast