Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yelloweye in mid June...where to go?

Default Yelloweye in mid June...where to go?

Looking to go for yelloweye and halibut in mid-June looking for advice and recomendations for best chance at a yelloweye. Yelloweye are the unicorn of the sea to me and I am yes looking to catch one...I know June is not open for lingcod...but i am not after lingcod for this trip. Where should I go from Valdez - Homer - Seward?? suggested charters?

I have fished out of all 3 locations previously on several charters and self guided trips. still no yelloweye for me. Going to be with my nephew, who is up visiting in June.

PM me if you do not want to post up here or email tk9234@live.com

thanks in advance
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Ive had good luck with them out of whittier. I dont fish out there alot but the few times I have it seems we caught yellow eye every time.

I wanna say we fished them around story, peak, and naked Is. area.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

you will find yelloweys most of the time in Rocky bottom areas. Also look at pinnacles. I have tend found them 150-300 ft. It's seems the bigger ones will be deeper.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I personally believe the shortest ride to quality fish and numbers will be from Seward. PM inbound.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

There is good yellow eye fishing out of Whittier and Seward, but make sure you ask the charter you'll be targeting them or if they are just an incidental catch.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

You can find em outta homer if you wanna run for em.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    you will find yelloweys most of the time in Rocky bottom areas. Also look at pinnacles. I have tend found them 150-300 ft. It's seems the bigger ones will be deeper.
    Bingo. If you look at the chart out of whittier for the areas I suggested you will notice several pinnacles in the area that are roughly that depth.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Default Whittier, hands down!

JMSS,

Contact Kristen from Saltwater Excursions. She can get you right on top of them...this I know.

IceKing02

PS: Just a little shot of a 29.5" unicorn...

IMG_1134.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    JMSS,

Contact Kristen from Saltwater Excursions. She can get you right on top of them...this I know.

IceKing02

PS: Just a little shot of a 29.5" unicorn...

IMG_1134.jpg
    thanks for the reply! thats what i am after!

I really appreciate everyones comments and feedback. I am for sure going with a charter and not a private boat for this trip.

Last year was my first year with my own boat and i now we did excellent on yellow out of seward, didnt matter where we went we where hooking up. It was probably a case of being in the right spot at the right time. I know that they can be had out of whittier as well. Good luck. I know out of seward we where in them around pony cove out to the chiswells and also out in front of rugged.

Well last year was my first year too and I have to give props to my bud Charlie for getting me on the fish. Reading all the posts it seems last year was a rare year for Yelloweye out of Seward. We'll have to see how this year plays out. Thinking back to my years in Panama as a young Airman in the Air Force, I remember one year heading to Pedasi to do some fishing with my buddy Ernest. We happened to hit it right and as our guide defined it, it was a "Red Tide." The way he explained it, every few years a huge school or amount of large red snapper would move in to the reef and the fishing was on. We hit it just right and on every drop landed a huge red snapper, in the 20 to 30 plus pound range. I wonder if this was a "Yellow Tide" and this year will be back to normal? Wonder if there is scientific data that is tracking the movement or catch rate of yelloweyes that could show maybe a trend in spikes in the number and size of fish? This year was amazing and acually sometimes got annoying trying to get away from the yelloweyes. Here's a picture of my buddy's huge AJ he caught on a handline pulling it up to head home.
    Ernest AJ in Panama.jpg
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

If you want Yelloweyes, Seward or Whittier are good. I think you have a shot at a monster in Whittier...Deep or a true unicorn the Roughraker!

they are easier to catch in Seward if you have your own boat. You can look on a chart and find any sort of high spot around the chiswell islands and probabaly catch them in good numbers yourself. Especially if it is over 200 feet deep on top.

No Yellow tide. Tropical snapper, regardless if they are Cubera, Mullet or Genuine Red Snapper tend to aggregate to spawn and they do turn the water red or copper colored there are so many. Yellow Eye Rock fish are completely different, they do aggragate around rocks and there are lots of them around whittier and Seward but they are not all hanging together. Most charters, that I know in Seward try to stay off the yellow eyes as we have all seen what happens when we target them. You find a good rock pile and every catches the heck out the them....And then there are no more on that rockpile....ever.
    For you guys going out a couple times a year, taking a yellow eye per person per day, the damage is minimal. Perfect for a weekend private boater but with 14 fisherman x 100 days a year x 50 boats.....As someone who is supposed to be a steward of the resource, I try to avoid anchoring on top of them when I can.
    Personally I think they are a great fish to eat, and make a great photo.

but for kids, pregnant women, or women who hope to become pregnant yelloweye are not a good menu item.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    but for kids, pregnant women, or women who hope to become pregnant yelloweye are not a good menu item.
    Thanks for posting this site Dave interesting a Halibut over 90lbs and a ling over 45"s rates right up with shark at high mercury levels, yellow eye rate the same as a halibut over 50lbs or a ling over 40"s. If more anglers and guides knew how high in mercury the large halibut and lings are maybe more would be released.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Guess my family and friends are safe since I cant seem to ever catch one..hence never have one of the menu.

good share,

Thanks to everyone on all the advice, I will share after the trip success or the failure. I have been contacted by a few charters, and a few of them will do combo trip for me. Further suggestions for charters is welcome.

The yellow eye fishing has been good out of Seward for several years now. I took an early season mid-May trip out of Seward a few years back just outside the mouth of the bay and the problem we had was the only thing we seemed to be able to catch was yellow eye.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Here's a picture of my boy with one out of Seward this summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My son with his largest Yelloweye of the year. This was out of Seward in mid June.
    DSCF0806.jpg
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

yelloweye.jpg Wish you were on this trip with us....

I've seen numerous photos of people catching them out of Whittier, but I wouldn't know where to start either?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    yelloweye.jpg Wish you were on this trip with us....

I've seen numerous photos of people catching them out of Whittier, but I wouldn't know where to start either?

Fish On!
    If Eric would not have had "engine" issues I would have got mine 2 years ago in Seward...he bailed on the spot after you caught one...haha

This will be the year of the unicorn for me, I think I m going to go out of both Whittier and Seward double my odds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast