Thread: Road fishing on Richardson

Default Road fishing on Richardson

We're planning a road trip from Fairbanks to Valdez this weekend. We hope to see the airshow, weather permitting, but were going to try some fishing along the way, since my sons (5 and 6) have not caught a fish yet. Any suggestions of accessible spots where there is a chance of success?

What are the favorite campgrounds in the Valdez area? My wife didn't like the warnings in the Milepost in red some of them had about bears, but I imagine they could be anywhere! Thanks.....Louis

Valdez, Alaska

Default Valdez

The Eagles Rest is about the only place in semi operation right now. There is still a lot of snow north of the pass. You might find some streams flowing but it is still winter above the pass to 70 mile or so.

Bears are just starting to come down. Saw one behind the high school last Sunday. You will be safe, it is early for the bears.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

north pole

Default try

Quartz lake from shore just before you get to delta, the pullouts along the tanana have burbot if you use bait soaking in the eddies, upper gulkana has good grayling, all of the roadside ponds after summit lake have good trout fishing, and the klutina has dolies, rainbows, and some grayling. Hope that helps