Thread: Launching with two wheel drive?

Default Launching with two wheel drive?

So I've got a two wheel drive van with a v8 in it. Anything wrong about launching a 20' flat bottom with a 50hp on the back. Are most the boat ramps in good enough shape for my 2x? Thinking Louise, tangle, skilak, kenai, talkeetna. ? Any input from those with experience would
    Be helpfully.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

You'll be allright at those launches, except possibly Talkeetna.
    As long as you have a cement ramp it will work fine.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    So I've got a two wheel drive van with a v8 in it. Anything wrong about launching a 20' flat bottom with a 50hp on the back. Are most the boat ramps in good enough shape for my 2x? Thinking Louise, tangle, skilak, kenai, talkeetna. ? Any input from those with experience would
    Be helpfully.
    Haven't been to Lake Louise in awhile, but you used to have to go about 300 yds out into the water to launch because it was so shallow. watch out for rocks!
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Haven't been to Lake Louise in awhile, but you used to have to go about 300 yds out into the water to launch because it was so shallow. watch out for rocks!
    Lake Louise has a new (at least in the last few years) ramp at the end of the road that is more standard and doesn't require going out too far. Nothing more than a normal ramp would.

Talkeetna it will depend on the water level and how deep the hole is at the ramp. Some times the hole at the ramp can be a little tough to get the trailer out with the boat on it with 2 wheel drive
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Go old school. Amazing what people used to do w/o 4x4.
    Attachment 69218

It's not the launching you need to be concerned with, it's the retrieval

4wd is just another form of insurance, you hope you never need it, but when you need it, you really need it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Talkeetna should be doable if the water is high enough, as said before though the retrieval would be tricky with a 2WD. Make sure you crank your trailer with the flow of the water and watch for the hole at the bottom of the ramp.

Might be a good idea to bring a nice strong tow strap, if you are stuck & blocking a well used boat launch...I'm sure there would be a volunteer to help you out of the way, so others can launch their boat.
    "Grin and Bear It"

You will be fine. I dont think Ive ever put my truck in 4wd on a boat ramp that wasnt covered in Ice. Dont put a ton of weight in the boat for retrieval and exceed your tow limit and I doubt you ever have a problem.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Might be a good idea to bring a nice strong tow strap, if you are stuck & blocking a well used boat launch...I'm sure there would be a volunteer to help you out of the way, so others can launch their boat.
    +1 for the strap. I used a 2wd truck on improved and semi improved launches for years.....the drop off that last cement plank is often what gets you so be aware of that. Other thing that gets ya........wet sticks/leaves or in small gravel.....easy to get the wheels spinning if you stop with these under your tires. Even here in Juneau I often end up pulling stuff off the ramp so I don't end up slip sliding down, or spinning out while coming up.

No matter, what, a 25 dollar flat tow strap will have you out in no time, and everyone will thank you for your preparedness if it is needed.

Tow strap is a good idea..... Thanks
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Tow strap is a good idea..... Thanks
    I didn't mean to imply that 'you' would be blocking the boat launch...just been there and saw that kinda stuff happening. Back in the good ole' days before the Burma Rd./Little Susitna got a nice concrete boat ramp, it was not uncommon to see folks chaining up 4 wheel drive trucks for the launch...mostly when it was rainy, talk about a slippery slope!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that 'you' would be blocking the boat launch...just been there and saw that kinda stuff happening. Back in the good ole' days before the Burma Rd./Little Susitna got a nice concrete boat ramp, it was not uncommon to see folks chaining up 4 wheel drive trucks for the launch...mostly when it was rainy, talk about a slippery slope!
    That one used to be a true adventure just to get TO the ramp, especially that last hill down to the lower parking lot. More like a controlled slide going down...