Thread: Mad River Grand Laker.....way ahead of it's time.

Default Mad River Grand Laker.....way ahead of it's time.

If you should see one of these canoes used, buy it as quick as you can, don't worry about the price. The mad river grand laker was based off a Grand Laker canoe commonly found in the Grand Lakes region of northern Maine. What's amazing about the canoe, is the multiple layers of Kevlar in combo with the s-glass, wetted out with EPOXY, no polyester stuff. It doesn't stop there, they used an Airex rigid foam core. This darned stuff comes out of Sweden, and provides superb rigidity with extremely light weight. Nowhere in this boat will you find any plywood junk being glass in (to soak up water weight and eventually rot/delaminate). What this system does, is gives you an open floor to pack things as you see fit. The canoe would in fact be so rigid, that you could essentially remove thwarts or portaging yokes if needed. Top this off with a mahogany transom, and you're styling. Mahogony is stronger than white ash, and there's a reason it's frequently used in boats. Though the dimensions of this canoe would not work appropriately with a surface drive, it would be a dream come true with a 15 horse suzuki short shaft, or a 9.8 tohastu lifted with Boudarc's lift. Be sure to read the 1986 article from the archived magazine and linked below:

http://books.google.com/books?id=IOQ...20canoe&f=true

At 125 lbs for a 21 footer......it was ahead of it's time indeed.

Attached Images Attached Images

bump for cali-boy

Nearly ordered one of these...decades ago....but the freight to AK made it too $$$$$!

125 pounds! That would be something!

The Mad River Grand Laker sure is a nice lightweight design for such a big canoe!

Especially when compared to some others:

Esquif Cargo 17' @ 95# (also pretty lightweight, but a much smaller canoe)

Old Town Sport 17' @ 125# (still car-topable, but, as they* say back in ME, "wicked heavy" for only a 17)
    * At least that's what I used to say about my OTS17 back when I had one in ME. Sold it after only one season due to it's weight.

Esquif Rangely 17' @ 125# (at least you get some extra width (51") for the extra weight)

Scott Albany 18' @ 185# (at this point a trailer is pretty much required)

Scott Hudson Bay 21' @ 250# (that's twice as heavy for roughly the same sized canoe)

Hey Mainer - Why don't you start "importing" these Grand Lakers into AK?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.