Thread: Wonder how this reel will hold up to jigging?

Default Wonder how this reel will hold up to jigging?

I set my wife up with a trevala 58 xh and an avet sx reel figuring it would be a nice light rig for jigging. She's caught a fair number of halibut and cod with the rig so it's worked as planned, however she never seemed to get the hang of guiding the line onto the reel.

So figuring she'd be better off with a level wind I decided to try something different this year.

I replaced the canvas drag washer with a carbon tex, put on a longer crank via flea bay and it's loaded with 300 m of Daiwa Saltiga PE-5 over dacron backing. I kinda wished I'd gone with the narrower charter special 1000, but only the 2000 frame will accept a rod clamp. So far it's working great fantasy fishing the garage, can't wait to see how it fairs on the water.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Charterboat Operator

Paul; i have been using those reels on my jig rods for years now, they hold up quite well, though the drag tends to wear out them, the rest of the reel holds up well. Where did you get the carbon Tex drag washer? Needed to re-do mine before the season starts so might try the carbon ones, cant hurt, right

I actually used a Penn washer as they are a couple of bucks cheaper, but you have to bore out the center of them as the dia is too small and that is a pain in the butt, so I'd suggest getting the correct washer.

I'd try Alan Tani for the drag washers http://alantani.com/ . His charter special tutorial is worth a read http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12.0 I didn't change the bellvilles in my reel, plenty of drag as is IMHO. Here's another source of carbon tex drag washers, though I've never ordered from them http://smoothdrag.com/

I've got three shimano canvas drag washers that are essentially new if you want them.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

I will be running the exact same setup this summer for my wife as well Paul.
    I have had the reels for years and never really used them so I figured I would try them out this summer.
    I bought the Travala rod at Trustworthy's bucket sale they had going on a few weeks ago so got it for an additional 25% off the sale price that was on it.
    Can't wait to try it out.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Here's the replacement handle I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-...item33750bf993

Offer him $20 and it should be yours. I got replacement handles for my tld 15's from him as well as some jigs.

I've used a pair of charter special 1000's on my salmon rods for years and they've been great little reels. I have to make sure I don't set the drag too high on them so the silvers get a chance to run.

I bought two 1,000's last year and love them on my Cedros 661 rods. So far I haven't had any issues with them. I'll probably pick up two more this year. Thanks for the links.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

While you are waiting to drop them in the sea, tie on something a big dog will like and have fun, they even shake their head like a halibut!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    While you are waiting to drop them in the sea, tie on something a big dog will like and have fun, they even shake their head like a halibut!
    Great plan...now I just have to borrow the neighbors dog. Rigging steakbone jig now...

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

All the reels that come through my shop, I try to replace the stock washers with the carbon fiber drag washers. I can even make washers for some of those off the wall reels. If you need your reels done up, give me a yell