Thread: Fly rod and reel

Default Fly rod and reel

Looking for 9wt or 10wt fly rod and reel. Must be left hand retrieve, if you gotta rod and reel you wanna let go of let me know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akhunt11 View Post
    Looking for 9wt or 10wt fly rod and reel. Must be left hand retrieve, if you gotta rod and reel you wanna let go of let me know.

Thanks
    A flly reel is not specific to right/left hand. You can change it simply by turning over the gear inside when you remove the spool. Usually very easy to do!

I was misinformed then, I knew you could switch the gear in some reels, but was told that some reels you were not able too. New to fly fishing, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunt11 View Post
    I was misinformed then, I knew you could switch the gear in some reels, but was told that some reels you were not able too. New to fly fishing, thanks for the info.
    You're both right, sort of. Some reels (like one older Sage I own) require a special tool only dealers have to reverse the drag, while on others it's just a matter of flopping the drag clutch yourself, instructions in the box. Worth making sure which is which before you buy, or at least figuring out what it will take to flip the clutch if you can't do it yourself.

Here's one point worth passing along: I'm a lefty too, but I have all my reels 8-weight and heavier set up for left hand retrieve so I have to swap the rod to my right hand for fish fighting and reel with my left. That's because with a long day of casting heavy rods, then fighting fish left handed too, you can really crank up your elbow after a few years. Just about ruined my elbow doing that, and on the advice of my doc (a fly fishing friend, BTW) I switched to the current setup. After quitting all lefthanded fishing for a year while my elbow recovered, I'm proud to be casting lefthanded again, and happy to report that it's not much of a deal to cast left and fight right. Nothing like a year of doing both right handed to convince me that an elbow is not something I want to mess with ever again.

Well....... its the left-handed fly ROD that's going to be a bit%* to find.

What are you planning to do with it? Fish Kings or use it for reds?
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I have a Winston IBIS 9' 10wt 4pc for sale - the cork ring on the forward reel seat hood is chipped from a bad decision made in Mexico, but other than that the rod is in really good shape. I'm asking $180 for it.

I also happen to have two 10wt compatible reels for sale - 1) Ross CLA5, black, lightly fished - $160 2)Galvan T-10, old bronze (not the new reddish one, more of a champagne color), light scuffing on frame - $275

Both reels currently set up for LHW with 200+yds of 50lb spectra backing.

GSmolt those are very reasonable.

AK Hunt 11 you should consider entry level pricing for top qaulity gear.

I could part with a sage xp 1090 2 piece and Orvis Mach V reel with Jim teeny t300 30' sink tip line and an extra spool empty of line. Reel is left hand retrieve and convertible to right hand. I'd take $550 for that package. All gear is flawless and in like new condition.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I just sent off a Loomis Nautikos 9 wt for repair or hopefully replace. I am planning to sell it as soon as I get it back, let me know if your interested and I will try and find out if they are going to be sending me a new stick or fixing this one, I don't have a reel I want to get rid of but I'll make you a deal on this thing. -josh