Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ds 185

Default Ds 185

I got my only sheep back in 2004 out of friday creek and i have been lucky enough to draw a tag this year so i was wondering if anyone has been sheep hunting up friday creek in the last couple of years and felt like sharing some information about the area with me.

I doubt the area has changed all that much in the past ten years. Perhaps you could get the discussion started by telling us where you found your ram back in 2004 and how you accessed the area?

cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    I doubt the area has changed all that much in the past ten years. Perhaps you could get the discussion started by telling us where you found your ram back in 2004 and how you accessed the area?

cheers,
    Rich

Sounds like someone drew DS185 this year...

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I heard there were a few small rams all the way down at the knik river recently, but I am sure they will be a little higher up than that come august.

I'd start by talking to some of the local guys who fly those mountains relatively frequently.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

To me DS185 is one of the top 3 draw tags for sheep, I'd take it before a TMA tag anyday. If you look up and see what I put in for its everything around Friday, and thats only because the odds of drawing Friday creek permits are <1% and 1 % respectively. Its an any ram permit, and most hunters that are successful go in there and see a decent ram and take it right off the bat, while the giants live on in those pocket drainages that never get seen. You've got a good tag! but you also know Friday is some rough country too.....

I'd like to see a pic of your 2004 ram if you have one.

It's been a long time since i have been back in there but always wanted to hunt it again. Its hard to explain where exactly i got him because all the drainages kind of run together in your mind after awhile but i did access it by 4 wheeler though. Since it was my first and only ram i sort of did the same thing and shot the first legal one i could find but he was a trophy to me. I will try to take a photo of it on my wall i have managed to lose all my photos in the field. I plan on attacking it the same as last time but was just wondering how others have done.

If you have the time, you can fly into Grasshopper and access from Metal, but like I said it's rough country!!!...I know a few buddies that have hunted it before it went draw and a couple that drew in the last few years. 2 of them flew and the others ATV'd.

Talk to Tony Kavalok at the Palmer office.

Thanks I will look him up

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Sounds like someone drew DS185 this year...
    ohhhh... I WISH!! No sheep tag for me in this year's draw results. But I do consider this one of the better areas available and would love to have the opportunity to hunt it someday. I also believe in the give a little to get a little mentality.

To the OP - I would LOVE to see a photo of your ram if you can dig one up!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I Drew this tag for this year! Is there a good route to go up friday creek with a four wheeler? I'm not to familiar with the area out there four wheeling. I was also thinking about going all the way down maud rd. there is a wheeler trail out there i have been curious about. Have also thought about going in from wolverine creek up to the glacier. Hopefully me and my buddy can get flown in on top of friday creek. I hear that is the best place but really rough country. Also hear there are some Toads up there, I will be spending a lot of time scouting this summer for sure! Wicked excited and feel a bit overly optimistic about the whole thing because i have an any ram tag. do y'all think i should be so optimistic? Are my chances good?

Congrats its a great tag. my buddy drew the ds180. do a search on here and you'll come up with a lot of answers to your questions. Do you have the right gear for a sheep hunt? have you done one before? Are you wanting to atv in or fly in? Call some pilots, thats the best way to get info.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I killed my first sheep up Friday creek, 9 years ago. I can take you to within 100yds of where he fell- I can locate the spire he was on with his 16 buddies on google earth. I guess my memory is sharp, or I have a sickness for dall sheep. I would save every $$ I had and get flown in. You'll be in far better country to access sheep. Heck, if a guy can afford a 4-wheeler, he should be able to scrounge up enough cache for a once in a lifetime hunt. Sorry, my covetous attitude is clearly being revealed.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

I'll be in there with a hunter. Shoot me a pm and we can talk. Flying will give you some better options. There are some other ways in but they are pretty sketchy but possible depending on your level of experience.

Fly in for sure. Its a sort flight and pretty reasonable price. I flew in before it went to draw and shot a nice ram. 8yrs old 34 3/4 2 inches past full curl with 13 3/4 bases. Seen 2 other hunters at the strip that had rams with bases over 14 inches. A 7yr old ram came out of there 2 - 3 years ago with 15 inch bases. Like what has been stated earlier that area has huge potential. If your in shape you can hunt the whole area in a few days from the air strip still pretty rough country with quite a few areas that you cant go. I would highly recommend not shooting the first ram you see be patient and spend as many days out there you can.

My daughter and me drew DS175 it starts at metal creek i have been doing a LOT of research we are going to fly in it a any ram tag as well but i keep hearing the same deal that there are monsters up there i am really hoping my daughter get a good sheep. i did a serious upgrade on my optics we now have vortex viper 20X60X80 spotting scope, two viper 6.5X20X50 with 30 mm tube, and two sets of 12X50viper binos. like sockeye1 said once in a life time hunt and with my daughter this is ABOVE once in a life time. I am very excited we are going to be doing lots and lots of backpack camping this summer. and lots of spot and stalk bear hunting this spring. over the summer we will be looking for sheep to stalk on so she can practice and learn to watch them move.

Default Ds 185

I drew this tag in 2011. I took my 4 wheeler up along the Knik until I got to Friday Creek and hiked in from there. There's atv trails going up the mountain on both sides of the creek. I've been all the way up both and prefer the trail on the left side for getting up into sheep country. The trails are steep and quite treacherous if one decides to take their wheeler up as far as it'll go. On foot, it's really not too bad. The trail is established thru the dense vegetation lower on the mountain so brush busting is at a minimum. However, If I was to ever get drawn for this area again I'd want to go back deeper than I did. Which for most would mean booking a charter and flying in. I've never been back in the upper reaches of Friday creek but from what I've heard from people who have is that's where the big Rams are. You still have a pretty good chance at spotting a nice ram if you choose to walk in too from what I've seen. I would have flown in if I had got my finances in order and booked a charter early enough.

While flying back from Lake George today we spotted close to 20 sheep a few hundred feet above the Knik River spread out between Friday and Metal Creek. Of course a week before the opener they will receive the email from DF&G and head for the high country. Lol. They were easy to spot below the snowline today.

We four wheeled in by friday creek and hunted for four days in the first large drainage to the left which is where i harvested my first sheep. We found a group of about 15 rams but not a full curl in the bunch so i passed to let them grow up. The most exciting thing was finding 5 very large bull moose living among them in the drainage but im sure they are safe because i would never want to haul them out of there.

Two years ago, during Unit 14 and Unit 13 aerial trend counts, the largest ram seen within those units was observed in the vicinity of the headwaters of the right fork.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    Two years ago, during Unit 14 and Unit 13 aerial trend counts, the largest ram seen within those units was observed in the vicinity of the headwaters of the right fork.
    Care to elaborate on "largest ram"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast