Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black bear hunting.

Default Black bear hunting.

Ok, this will be my first bear hunt. I have what I consider necessary gear: Rifle, knifes, clothing etc. I was considering setting up a bait station and trail cam but I dont really know how I feel about it yet. Is this stuff really necessary or can one be successful without it? People did shoot em for years before that stuff was around right? Just looking for a little input. Any advice you have is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

In my opion a trail cam saves you hours of guessing and gives you more knowledge of size of bears. Sows with cubs and helps you pattern I consider it one of the most productive tools you can buy.

Yes, one can be successful without a bait station. Baiting is super helpful in flat, heavily wooded areas. If you've got mountainous terrain to hunt, though, spot-and-stalk can be an awesome option. The same is true of marine shorelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yes, one can be successful without a bait station. Baiting is super helpful in flat, heavily wooded areas. If you've got mountainous terrain to hunt, though, spot-and-stalk can be an awesome option. The same is true of marine shorelines.
    Ive been thinking alot about marine shoreline. PWS in particular. I have a small v bottom so I cant get crazy but I can get out there.

My only reason for being apprehensive about the bait station and trail cam is all the extra setup etc. Mult trips to make sure the bait station is full check the trail cam etc. If Im going to make mult trips I figure it would just be as easy to spot and stalk rather than haul all the gear. Maybe Im looking at this the wrong way though.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Ive been thinking alot about marine shoreline. PWS in particular. I have a small v bottom so I cant get crazy but I can get out there.

My only reason for being apprehensive about the bait station and trail cam is all the extra setup etc. Mult trips to make sure the bait station is full check the trail cam etc. If Im going to make mult trips I figure it would just be as easy to spot and stalk rather than haul all the gear. Maybe Im looking at this the wrong way though.

While I did run a bait station, I shot my bears off the beach. No need to hike for them, catch them on the beaches at low tides, or mornings just after sun up, and early afternoons also. But low tids are a given, especially in areas where grass is exposed even at high tides. Once they are up and feeding good, they will dig in the rocks for shrimp, crabs and other stuff that washes up or is exposed at those low tides. Hking can be very difficult from what I have seen! Lots of run off, mushy tundra stuff, and have hiked up to only start sliding and no way of stopping! Slimmy grass cuts loose down to the dirt! Granted never had crampons, but would wait to catch them on beach is all.

Yes the bait requires being checked every weekend possible. Spend time behind the glasses, be quiet-sound travels bad on the water!!! Be patient and glass harder! Study the snow up high, catch the tracks and follow them. The more you stare the more you will see! Your eyes will adjust and acclamate and BAM you'll see post holes how they zig zag from tree to tree or clump of cover to the next. Once your done glassing the area, start over! Seen fresh tracks before where bear popped and headed over ridge, just barely missed it, but never woulda thought about hiking up, as that bear went right over the ridge down into the next bay, tracked him over there. Thats the beauty of picking a spot and learning it, walking around and seeing the different terrain it holds. Good luck to ya! Zigler cove is place you duck into, across pigot bay at the opening. Sneak around and hunt hummer bay and such. Hummer is pretty protected and seemed to have good beaches for camping.

Boating the coastline, sitting over a bait, or spot and stalk all offer excitement but the level of excitement and satisfaction differ as much as the hunter's opinion on choice of weapon. Boating is the more scenic, you cover a lot of area and bear, but is absent the terrain until the stalk begins. Sitting over bait has the least visual interest but you usually see bear but only a small population. Spot and stalk, walking the ground they live, offers all of that but you cover less ground and see less bear.

Personally, Iíve used the boat and spot and stalk for bear and baiting for deer (Michigan) and wild boar (North Carolina). I would recommend all techniques as they offer something for everyone and we should at least experience something first hand before negatively commenting on the unknown.

Do what time and money allow.

Yes no absolute need to bait. On any particular day a guy might see who knows how many bears on an open south facing hillside. A friend of mine once named a particular valley 10 Bear Valley as you can imagine why.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for the info guys. I think this year I want to use the boat and spot and stalk methods and just get out there and learn a little tracking etc. Next year I will get all the stuff together over the fall/winter to set up a bait sight and do it that way. I man not be successful this year but at least Ill have fun and hopefully do some good learning along the way.

Be careful with your boat on the sound! I would also try out launching at lakes such as kenai, skilak or trail lakes for a shorter day trip. I enjoy spot and stock on the hillsides, I feel a lot more reward from the hunting style and it is also the most cost effective in my opinion (no boat fuel, no driving back and forth for bait station upkeep, just drive until you see a bear and go after it!).
    Good luck this season, hope to see you out hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    Be careful with your boat on the sound! I would also try out launching at lakes such as kenai, skilak or trail lakes for a shorter day trip. I enjoy spot and stock on the hillsides, I feel a lot more reward from the hunting style and it is also the most cost effective in my opinion (no boat fuel, no driving back and forth for bait station upkeep, just drive until you see a bear and go after it!).
    Good luck this season, hope to see you out hunting!
    I havent looked into hunting the Kenai area. Are there special tags required?

Any tips you can give me for spot and stalk as far as tracking goes? Bears are new to me so its gonna be a learning experience for sure. If I dont get one this year hopefully I can learn enough to benefit me this next year.

Each hunt has its own flare to me... Baiting is cool cause there is simply nothing like having a bear come in sneaking around your stand... Spot and stalk is all about the reward of putting a good plan together... as far as where to go... I have helped a few on here in the past and always try to help out the new guys especially our service members... shoot me a pm and I will get back at you with a few places to take your boat that I have personally been part of taking bears from... heck if its the right day I may even go with you if you dont mind me hangin around..

I havent looked into hunting the Kenai area. Are there special tags required?

Any tips you can give me for spot and stalk as far as tracking goes? Bears are new to me so its gonna be a learning experience for sure. If I dont get one this year hopefully I can learn enough to benefit me this next year.
    No special tags required.....just a harvest ticket. And really I can't stress it enough.....it can be as easy as taking a drive, stopping here and there to pull out the glasses and see a bear. I did that exact thing one day in late Oct. My Dad was down for a visit and I asked him if he would like to go look for a bear. We drove up to the Cooper Landing area and the first place I stopped that looked promising I stopped, grabbed the glasses, got out of the truck looked up on the side of the mountain like I know what I was doin' and low and behold there was a bear.....lol

Last year, from one vantage point on the side of the road, I watched 4 different bears on one hillside all at once. There are NO shortage of blackies that's for sure......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    No special tags required.....just a harvest ticket. And really I can't stress it enough.....it can be as easy as taking a drive, stopping here and there to pull out the glasses and see a bear. I did that exact thing one day in late Oct. My Dad was down for a visit and I asked him if he would like to go look for a bear. We drove up to the Cooper Landing area and the first place I stopped that looked promising I stopped, grabbed the glasses, got out of the truck looked up on the side of the mountain like I know what I was doin' and low and behold there was a bear.....lol

Last year, from one vantage point on the side of the road, I watched 4 different bears on one hillside all at once. There are NO shortage of blackies that's for sure......
    So you saw the bear, and you did what? The rest of the story please...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    So you saw the bear, and you did what? The rest of the story please...
    On the fist bear in Oct., Dad stayed at the truck and I climbed the mountain and not wanting to shoot across a canyon I ended up spooking the bear trying to get in closer. But the next day we returned and I killed him. A young sow with a mouth full of blueberries.

With the 4 bears on the hillside, we saw the bear that was the lowest down the mountain and easiest to get to, and climbed up and killed him.....a nice 6 ft boar.

Thanks guys for everything. I am never let down by this forum. Y'all are awesome.

[QUOTE=c6 batmobile;1262621] small v bottom QUOTE]

c6, how small is this boat. i believe that going out in something smaller then a high sided 20' is too small for PWS unless you carry a couple days worth of supplies and camping gear. PWS can be flat and smooth as glass, and in a hour windy and big rollers and chop being blown up passage canal. If out by Ester or Perry, you need to be able to duck in a cove and sit it out in a small boat. Bud
    Wasilla

Bud,
    For years I ran my 18' Alumaweld Stryker Jet boat in PWS (head of Blackstone bay, Pigot point, and occasionally to the southern end of Culross) and Seward (Pony cove). It had a 10 degree Vee at the transom and a 115/80 jet.
    It can be done if a person is cautious and prepared. We did go equipped but I wouldn't say we carried a couple days worth of supplies by any means.
    I know lots of folks who explored Alaska in similar craft and ranged much farther than I ever did..... part of being an Alaskan is having the spirit and gumption to overcome obstacles and live on the edge. In my opinion anyway!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Bud,
    For years I ran my 18' Alumaweld Stryker Jet boat in PWS (head of Blackstone bay, Pigot point, and occasionally to the southern end of Culross) and Seward (Pony cove). It had a 10 degree Vee at the transom and a 115/80 jet.
    It can be done if a person is cautious and prepared. We did go equipped but I wouldn't say we carried a couple days worth of supplies by any means.
    I know lots of folks who explored Alaska in similar craft and ranged much farther than I ever did..... part of being an Alaskan is having the spirit and gumption to overcome obstacles and live on the edge. In my opinion anyway!
    BK
    18' or 20' I don't think it makes a lot of difference and the stryker has pretty high sides. I had a 26 Carver that we ran a few times from Culross to Decision point in pretty high winds and rough seas that I don't think a 18'-20' would make it, really bouncy and water over the bow. Bud
    Wasilla

[QUOTE=akblackdawg;1263561]
    small v bottom QUOTE]

c6, how small is this boat. i believe that going out in something smaller then a high sided 20' is too small for PWS unless you carry a couple days worth of supplies and camping gear. PWS can be flat and smooth as glass, and in a hour windy and big rollers and chop being blown up passage canal. If out by Ester or Perry, you need to be able to duck in a cove and sit it out in a small boat. Bud
    16 foot. Im usually pretty prepped. I often over pack on trips like that. But its better to have it and not need it right.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes no absolute need to bait. On any particular day a guy might see who knows how many bears on an open south facing hillside. A friend of mine once named a particular valley 10 Bear Valley as you can imagine why.....
    Well then help a bro out..............where is 10 bear valley? There will be 10 bears there for sure this spring...........right?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast