Thread: .404 Jeffery Components

Default .404 Jeffery Components

An unexpected job move back to Alaska meant leaving all of my reloading supplies in a storage locker in the lower 48, so there is nothing in the cupboard to feed a long awaited custom 98 .404 Jeffery which arrived recently. Anybody know of a store or individual with any Jeffery components for sale? Cases, bullets, dies, the whole 9 yards. Loaded factory ammo would be helpful too. Thanks!

Hmmm. I have all the whole nine yards for the 404 Jeff but I'm in the lower 48 also. Not sure how much you know about the 404 Jeffery but I've loaded a thousand rounds of the cartridge and owned 4 different rifles in the caliber. I was the only source for 404 Jeffery ammo in the U.S. for a number of years.

Not every one makes .423" bullets, Woodleigh, A-Square and Swift are three known makers. Swift being the best source and they make limited runs of their 400 grain. I have a good supply and would be willing to ship you bullets and dies via priority flat rate mail. If you're interested in any shippable components and loading data send me a PM and we'll discuss.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Great Northern Guns is typically the best source of oddball and big bore supplies in AK, I'd start there.

Online Huntington's is usually a good bet for big bore stuff. http://www.huntingtons.com/cases_norma.html
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

In the storage locker down south I have Norma and Bell cases, Barnes 400 gr X bullets, 400 gr Woodleigh softs, dies, and powder, primers etc. I called GNG a cpl of months ago - nada. I can buy 20 rounds of Hornady soft nose for $90, and ship it up for $119. Ouch. That Krieger barrel needs exercise, so I may have to go that route, but dang...

I know there is a group of big bore aficienados up here, perhaps one of them has a 404 and you could work something out to load up some ammo. My only Jeffrey is a 500 so no help on my end.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Hawk bullets: http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

Sounds like you are going to have to buy an additional supply of components to get yourself up and running.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I'll ship you two boxes of fifty bullets for $100 and the dies for $50. All the new brass you want at $1 each.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I am interested - please send PM for discussion. Thank you, thank you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DB404 View Post
    I am interested - please send PM for discussion. Thank you, thank you!!!!
    You're not in to where you can get/send PM's yet but when I get back home next week I'll take an inventory and see what I can come up with for your 404.

Thanks again.

Here's what I have. Woodleigh 1 bx of 50, 400 gr. RN SP. 1bx of 50 350 gr. RN SP plus 40 more 350 gr. RN SP. also 1 bx of 50 347 gr RN SP but for an older 10.75x68. Thiner jackets but .423".
    North Fork 380 gr. only 45 of them. They are FN spitz. Also A Square Dead Tough Soft points. Very tough bullet and expensive. 2 bx of 20. RN. SP. And one set of used but excellent cond. clean and oiled 404 Jeff dies with shell holder. If can send a PM or e mail and let me know if interested, I'll shoot you a price. I can ship it all together. Shipping included.

i was in great northern in anchorage yesterday and they had .404 dies. i did not get a chance to look behind the counter at bullets because they were pretty busy, but they seem to be a good resource for the bigger caliber rifles up here.

elkman55, thanks for the tip. As it turned out, I went into GNG on Monday and saw the dies too. RCBS and IIRC, $168.00; new Hornady dies are advertised by several businesses outside for about $90.00 new. I talked with the person there who does their ordering and he told me there is very little demand for 404 Jeffery, so they don't order it. Said he'd need to order 10 boxes to come out on the purchase, which he figured was a 3 year supply. BTW, I've been going into GNG since 1991, and I have never seen it so empty of firearms as it was Monday. Still had some pretty neat toys to fuel the old "I want" syndrome!

Murphy, its embarassing to admit, but I'm a novice on using forum tools - what's the way to get you my email address?

Quote Originally Posted by DB404 View Post
    Murphy, its embarassing to admit, but I'm a novice on using forum tools - what's the way to get you my email address?
    I sent you a visitor message.

DB,

agreed, it was amazing how empty they were. they seem to be the only place that can feed my ultra mags tho, and for the most part always treat me good in there. i definetly felt the "i want" syndrome when i walked by a little .270 they had in there, almost couldnt resist!

elkman55,
    I have found both GNG and Wild West Guns really easy to deal with over the years; I have to admit I've made a few contributions to their respective retirment fund accounts. I have found each of them to ALWAYS be honest, to stick to their word, to be polite and pretty darn knowledgable. Neither one of them will BS a person either; if they don't know something, they'll tell you they don't, unlike lots of other shops I can think of who will tell you innaccurate internet myths or whatever sounds reasonable to them to try to push a sale.

I do wish they each still had the huge amount of fine custom guns they formerly had. IIRC, one of the guys in GNG told me that they bought a lot of those guns from overseas big game hunters, who came to hunt Alaska from places where it was hard for them to own personal firearms. The hunter would order from his gunsmith of choice (Europe, or the U.S., usually), have the finished rifle shipped to Alaska, then pick it up when they arrived here and use it to take their bear or sheep, and then they would sell their barely used smoke pole to WWG or GNG before leaving for the airport. They were the only shops in town that you could count on seeing drillings and such. (Speaking of one of the I wants.) And where else could you see an original Erma .22 LR conversion for an Artillery Model Luger. I could never work in a place like that - I'd be spending pay roll advances three years in the future. Both are good places to practice the restrained art of goal setting.