Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way Juneau-Whittier

Default Best way Juneau-Whittier

I might be purchasing a boat in Juneau. Researched allot on the forum and got some good advice. Most post were back in 08-10. Wanted to know what the end results were and if anyone has any other current cost analysis, ideas, suggestions or advice.

Lot of Captains on here with great minds...just want to make sure I cover all bases.

35fter Sea Worthy boat.

Option 1: Considering flying down and enjoying the trip back to Whittier..Then trailer and move to Seward. Working up cost..thinking around 5-6K Gas etc.

Option 2: Ferry system..have no idea on cost or how it works..trying to contact them now.

Option 3:..open to suggestions... let me know what you guys think. I will have plenty of time to drive boat back and am flexible on time of year. Have 7 years experience running waters in AK.

Appears springtime would be best.

Thanks

Hugh
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

If you're already crossing the gulf you might as well just got to seward. I'd imagine that a trailer from Whittier to Seward would be a lot pricier than just making Seward your end point.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I agree, why stop at Whittier and have to pay $$$$ tunnel fee, take her all the way to Seward. I don’t think you’ll burn 5-6K in gas. Run the trip out on Google earth using the ruler function and you can figure out approximate miles than you’ll know dollar cost on fuel.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Done...seward it is.. I agree it would be easier..makes sense.

Miles to seward was 817 and that was including stopping at all ports in between. Boat has twin 415 gas and 220 gal tank. Will cruise 30knots and range is estimated at 250-300miles. Figured cost was 1k for fillup and there aftet...probably be a little less..just trying to get closer figures.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    I agree, why stop at Whittier and have to pay $$$$ tunnel fee, take her all the way to Seward. I don’t think you’ll burn 5-6K in gas. Run the trip out on Google earth using the ruler function and you can figure out approximate miles than you’ll know dollar cost on fuel.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Done...seward it is.. I agree it would be easier..makes sense.

Miles to seward was 817 and that was including stopping at all ports in between. Boat has twin 415 gas and 220 gal tank. Will cruise 30knots and range is estimated at 250-300miles. Figured cost was 1k for fillup and there aftet...probably be a little less..just trying to get closer figures.
    Just did the crossing last summer for the second time since 2003. It's a piece of cake, as long as the seas are good. If I recall it was 386 miles from Yakutat to Valdez going around Hinchenbrook. I'm not sure how many miles from H-entrance you would have left but its 65 miles from the Lighthouse to Valdez so figure 320 to H-entrance. Figure on 11hr of running to H-entrance. What's the burn rate on 415s? Definitely won't make it across without carrying extra fuel in your case. We made it to Valdez with less then 200gal but we were burning diesel and I think we had about 20 left of the 200 gallon capacity tank we started with. There' plenty of tsunami derby and bouy's to be had along the way. We picked up a a dozen Japanese buoys and still haven't figured out what to do with them....yard art I suppose.

Hugh, its under 400 miles from elfin cove to ****tier, and if you go that route, a day run from there to seward. (we did it in our 26 carver 305 and standard fuel tank (almost)) we did it (gulf run)both times in late may, but i think most summer months are good, just have to pick your day and not worry if you need to wait out a blow for the seas to calm. cc weather reports are pretty good, lots of fishing boats that size run out there every day (well, most days anyway). Bud
    Wasilla

Shipping via Alaska Marine Lines or Lynden may be viable. May be worth getting a couple of estimates so you're aware of all options. Making that trip in an unfamiliar boat could be challenging. Good luck with the trip if you go that route. Obviously watch the weather and leave plenty of time for yourself.

Thanks guys..

Yeah, my calculation was hugging the shorline out about a mile and stopping at all the coffee joints...lol well marinas and any place to get gad all the way to seward.

Not sure how it would feel being that far off shore and the seas swell up or something mechanical hapoens...that's why I am on here to get more info and educate myself to all options..

I really apprecieate it...but seems like a very common run and extremely doable.

Just curious as to what you are picking up. 30 Knots with a 35 footer is impressive. Sounds like a fun trip.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Boat has twin 415 gas and 220 gal tank. Will cruise 30knots and range is estimated at 250-300miles. Figured cost was 1k for fillup and there aftet...probably be a little less..just trying to get closer figures.
    Not to question yer figures but doing the math backwards, I come up with a 35 foot boat running 35 MPH and twin gassers burning 12.5 to 16 GPH per motor.......sounds awful good to me........... have you had a chance to verify the range .......?

Jus saying it could be dang inconvienent to run out of fuel...
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

No sir, I have not, I am thinking more like 220 miles per 220 gals actually from online research..trying to get more info on burn rate as welll..Why I figured some one here might have better info

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Not to question yer figures but doing the math backwards, I come up with a 35 foot boat running 35 MPH and twin gassers burning 12.5 to 16 GPH per motor.......sounds awful good to me........... have you had a chance to verify the range .......?

Jus saying it could be dang inconvienent to run out of fuel...

Thanks guys..

Yeah, my calculation was hugging the shorline out about a mile and stopping at all the coffee joints...lol well marinas and any place to get gad all the way to seward.

Not sure how it would feel being that far off shore and the seas swell up or something mechanical hapoens...that's why I am on here to get more info and educate myself to all options..

I really apprecieate it...but seems like a very common run and extremely doable.
    Well Elfin Cove, and 160+ miles to Yakatat are the only marinas before you reach PWS.

As far as fuel burn, I have a 30ft Sea Ray with twin MerCruisers (260hp) and they SUCK 14gph (or 28gph total) per motor on step. I carry 140gal so I would have to carry a lot of extra gas. I have a range of about 100 miles or so not counting a 10% reserve. 415 will really SUCK the gas so make sure you do your calculations very carfully.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

You need to take an extended trial run with your new boat (to you) to be comfortable with it. Actual fuel burn, mechanical condition, and familiarization are things you don't want to find out about when seas come up and you're miles from help. People sell boats for a reason, and sometimes it doesn't become apparent until put to a test.

I agree...if it works out.. I am going to have it looked over very well by qualified guy..then fly down and get familiar with it..maybe spend a week on her cruising the island hunting etc.

I know running that far with temps and on engines that have not been ran like that is taking a chance. A mechanic can only see so much and recommend so much before an journey like this is taken. Lots to consider and still looking at options.

Appreciate the input frome everyone...seems 310s were stock in the boat..so I am asking questions to the 454s now(sorry thought she said 415s....not sure when they were put in and trying to get more info on that now. That is allot of HP and a VERY thirsty girl...for sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    You need to take an extended trial run with your new boat (to you) to be comfortable with it. Actual fuel burn, mechanical condition, and familiarization are things you don't want to find out about when seas come up and you're miles from help. People sell boats for a reason, and sometimes it doesn't become apparent until put to a test.

I agree...if it works out.. I am going to have it looked over very well by qualified guy..then fly down and get familiar with it..maybe spend a week on her cruising the island hunting etc.

I know running that far with temps and on engines that have not been ran like that is taking a chance. A mechanic can only see so much and recommend so much before an journey like this is taken. Lots to consider and still looking at options.

Appreciate the input frome everyone...seems 310s were stock in the boat..so I am asking questions to the 454s now(sorry thought she said 415s....not sure when they were put in and trying to get more info on that now. That is allot of HP and a VERY thirsty girl...for sure.

Thanks
    I think more HP is always a good thing, as long as its geared/proped right.

You didnt say how much the seller is asking or how old the boat is, having a mechanic look at is a good idea, but you didnt mention the possibility of a survey.....it could be money well spent. There are a lot of boats out there and asking prices are not necessarily a indication of a boats condition or value.

If this is a realtively new, clean, has low hours well mantained, then a good through look may be all thats needed, if on the other hand, its older than 25 years old and has spent its life in SE than there could be many things that are not visible to a unacustomed buyer. Things like wet and rotten transoms, stringers among others, not the end of the world but good to know.......will it be pulled out of the water so you can inspect the bottom...?

If its cheap enough, you may not care...at this time, but you may later when things start showing up.......ask me how I know......?
    We bought a 30 year old boat out of Sitka last fall, it was cheap alright, and currently is "A big arse boat project".......
    Which is ok and I am actually enjoying it, but just so you know what you could be in for.......

I read all this drivel before...and largely ignored it ha ha....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Just got survey in email...

Boat is 20 years old..91 it says...and as everyone expected she is thirsty...dont know...going to cost me pennies on the dollar to get it..but not sure what he long run issues might be as expressed. I do know that it he was meticulous with the upkeep..it has been stored out of water indoors for the last 10 years and taken out in the summer for runs and fishing trips. Then put back in storage and winterized..taken back out every summer and ran for a week, checked and then put back in the last three since his death.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH choices....lol

"The vessel is propelled by trvin MerCruiser 454 V-8 gasoline marine engines, connected
    to Hurth reduction gears, connected to I t/c" s/s shafts, and attached to four bladed Nibral bronze
    propellers. Average speed is 30 knots. Fuel consumption is estimated at 30 gallons per hour,
    giving an estimated range of 200 nautical miles, weather and load conditions permitting.

I would not bother with your idea of hugging the shore, just go for it if you are confident you have the fuel, by the time you run from Juneau to elfin cove, you will have a good idea of how the boat runs and handles and fuel economy, if there is a problem, go back to juneau. I don't surpose he has a trailer with the boat, usually they don't tow 35' boats, but just in case you might see if one is available. Bud
    Wasilla

Bud...you know from one duckhunter to another brother..that is funny..lol I hear ya...and you are right..by the time i hit Eflin Cove..and stop for fuel there...i would have an idea..but allot as you know goes into the fuel burn after you hit big water.

On a side note..

I hear that many times in the morning before i head out in 30knot winds...freezing temps, ice that will need to be broken to get to that favorite spot just to shoot a few birds....."Just go for it!"...

nope no trailer..just found that out as well.

You coming along.
    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I would not bother with your idea of hugging the shore, just go for it if you are confident you have the fuel, by the time you run from Juneau to elfin cove, you will have a good idea of how the boat runs and handles and fuel economy, if there is a problem, go back to juneau. I don't surpose he has a trailer with the boat, usually they don't tow 35' boats, but just in case you might see if one is available. Bud

I'd be very leary of all the numbers your getting !! If they are coming from a broker make him put it all in writing on the contract, i'm betting he'll be back peddling quickly. Average speed 30 knots ? yeah right to the nearest rebuild shop !! If you have any pictures of the boat please post them so we can see the boat. Remember a boat survey is only the surveyors OPINION of the boat, the mechanicals is what i would be very worried about. Those pennies on the dollar will turn into thousands on the penny when you have to repower that old boat. Look it over VERY GOOD TWICE and be ready to walk if anything doesn't look right. Being broke down out in the gulf when it blowing is no fun.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I completely agree....no doubt.. I am asking her to provide pictures of it now..latest pictures are from family trips and of them on the boat..she is not to cool with those pics being posted. I did send her links to other boats online, same year and make to verify layouts. Sure they will match.

I am going to ask her to have someone go down and take some pictures soon. She has also stated as of today....that she will pay for 2/3rds of a new survey to be completed.. I think I might drop 200 before we move any further and have that completed ASAP. That is really all I need to see outside of walking around her and taking it for a test drive. (which can be scheduled as requested)

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'd be very leary of all the numbers your getting !! If they are coming from a broker make him put it all in writing on the contract, i'm betting he'll be back peddling quickly. Average speed 30 knots ? yeah right to the nearest rebuild shop !! If you have any pictures of the boat please post them so we can see the boat. Remember a boat survey is only the surveyors OPINION of the boat, the mechanicals is what i would be very worried about. Those pennies on the dollar will turn into thousands on the penny when you have to repower that old boat. Look it over VERY GOOD TWICE and be ready to walk if anything doesn't look right. Being broke down out in the gulf when it blowing is no fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast