Thread: BC bead rig vs kenai bead rig

Default BC bead rig vs kenai bead rig

Recently had opportunity to fish for rainbows, browns, and steelhead on Vancouver island rivers. The regulations are regional and river specific and I depended on local expertise rather than try to memorize a new set of rules.

Many of these rivers were "fly fishing only" which meant single barbless hook with no split shot or indicators allowed. The bead rig we fished used a section of T11 lead core sinking line loop connected to the main floating line and a short fluro leader with a pegged 10mm bead above a snelled #2 hook.

The initial feel of this set-up was very different to the tradtional kenai rig with long fluro leader, split shot and strike indicator. At first I was worried the drifts would be difficult and the takes would be too subtle. However, I was happy to discover this set-up fished really well and many great fish were hooked and landed.

Question: Anyone have experience fishing this type of BC style bead rig in the Kenai. I am wondering how it would compare to the tradtional thingamabobber, split shot set-up?

I've beaded lots of different ways, and this method can be a winner. It is hard to get a truly dead drift with it because you have to sense the bite somehow (which is what the indicator allowed with the long leaders) which requires tension, it's more of a controlled swing but it definitely works. I've utilized it when I was in extremely clear water and the fish were flinching from the indicators going over head.