Thread: Retriever event interest. Field Trials and Hunt Test

Default Retriever event interest. Field Trials and Hunt Test

Ok, longer days and more sunlight are upon us. For me it means the first retriever events aren't far away. Those that work with me have been training throughout the winter and are waiting to do tune ups in the water. Retriever training is a lot of fun. For the dog as well as the handler no matter the time of year.
    Sometimes I wonder though how many folks really know what retriever events are and how they can become involved. Most common remark mentioned to me is they thought it was for purebred dogs only. AKC is now allowing owners that have a retriever to register via an ILP number. You can get more info on there dog registration page. ILP registered dogs can run in Hunt Test and earn titles. I'm not totally up on the specifics but I also believe NAHRA and HRC have the same type of availabilty. I'll try to look it up and post a link. That is if someone from those groups don't beat me to it.
    Also there are different hunting dog breeds as well that are now eligible to run these types of test. These to are available on AKC, NAHRA and HRC websites. A link soon coming as well.

Local retriever clubs:
    Midnight Sun Gun Dog Association
    Alaska Working Retriever Club
    Retriever Club of Alaska
    Fairbanks Retriever Club
    Interior Alaska Gun Dog Association

These clubs having training going on as clubs or amongst it's members.
    Each club also puts on sanctioned events each year.
    We welcome any and all newcomers.

This post will be a place for folks to ask questions about these events or training for them.
    Let's get them doggies rollin.

Baron, You are correct. Dogs can participate in NAHRA events without being registered the link below will take you to the NAHRA Rule Book. I Have posted the Eligibility section found on the bottom of page 6 and top of page 7. It is important to note that the dogs don't recieve a Title but they do recieve a certifiacte of accomplishment stating that they have performed the work for each given title category. The bottom line is if you have a dog that you want to train to participate than by all means do so. The main objective for most in our club is to have a good time and enjoy the time in the field will our dogs. I hear people say "I don't care about getting Titles I just want a good hunting dog" To that I say If you want a dog that is ready to hunt come opening day there is no better way to have them ready than to train and run events. It allows you and the dog to become a team and you won't spend the first few trips out training the dog and being frustrated with the dog. We welcome anyone who is interested to participate.

http://www.nahra.org/images/stories/finalrulebook033009-1.pdf

D. ELIGIBILITYAll purebred Labrador Retrievers, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, Curly-CoatedRetrievers, Flat-Coated Retrievers, Irish Water Spaniels, Boykin Spaniels, American WaterSpaniels, English Springer Spaniels, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers, Barbet, and Poodlesregistered with the American Kennel Club, Canadian Kennel Club, United Kennel Club, BoykinSpaniel Society, American Field Dog Stud Book or America’s Pet Registry are eligible to enter
    and participate in Licensed NAHRA Hunting Retriever Field Tests. Other purebred breeds and
    other breed registries may also be approved by the NAHRA Board of Directors.

A dog who is unregistered or registered with an unapproved registry or is from an ineligiblebreed may participate in Approved or Licensed NAHRA Hunting Retriever Field Tests if it hasbeen issued a Field Test Number (FTN) by the NAHRA Board of Directors. The Field TestNumber must be shown on each entry form. A Field Test Number may be issued by the NAHRABoard of Directors upon receipt of the designated form accompanied by such supportinginformation and fees as the Board may require (currently $5.00). Dogs holding Field TestNumbers are not eligible for the titles Grand Master Hunting Retriever Champion (GMHRCH),Grand Master Hunting Retriever (GMHR), Master Hunting Retriever (MHR), Working Retriever(WR), Hunting Retriever (HR), and Started Hunting Retriever (SR). Dogs holding Field TestNumbers are eligible for the Brass Band program for Started, Hunter and Intermediate dogs and
    are eligible to participate in the Regional Field Tests.
    Last edited by Icebear; 03-21-2013 at 13:07.

What retrieves are there in an entry level hunt test?

Glad you asked.
    Each venue has different requirements in there perspective rulebooks.
    For an entry level retriever they are expected to retrieve singles(birds thrown by multiple guns in the field). Typically they are spread pretty far apart. Land marks and water marks are used to judge the retrievers abilities. Distances can be up to 100yds. But some venues have shorter distances. I always train for longer marks by that way when they see a 100 yd mark at a test it's not new to them and have a better chance at success. Some venues require delivery to hand where others just require delivery back to you either by hand or within hands reach.
    Moderate cover also is used alOng with flat or rolling terrain. Water marks my also have multiple re-entries. Swim across open water get out on the other side find the bird and then get back in the water to return. I've also seen test that required the dog to enter water exit on land get in water again exit onto land and then back into water again. So multiple exits and re-entries. Bank running by your dog is frowned on but doesn't mean your dog will fail. The points are all cumulative and are all tallied at the end.
    Any other questions? Just ask.
    Thanks

Line manners. How your dog behaves. How well is your obedience. Does the dog drag you on a leash. Is it barking while the birds are going off. These also are things being graded.
    Number one thing that judges ask themselves. "Would I hunt with this dog?"

How many singles

In AKC Junior hunter there are 4 singles, 2 on land and 2 on water. One thing though, is that there could be/almost certainly will be two gunners out in the field. The dog has to retrieve one as a single and then a single off of the other one. Some dogs will have a hard time moving off of a gunner who has just thrown a bird for him and he retrieved it.

NAHRA Started is 5 singles 2 on land and 2 on water and one other single. It's usually on land 'cause land goes faster but I've seen the extra bird on water before.

I dunno about HRC.

Well, iam deff interested in doing some hunt test training. I went out this morning before work and did some pile work and whistle training. Both back and side to side, just some real short drills back to the basics! The problem that iam having is ill whistle sit him, then raise an arm to the direction i want him to go. Then he will just sit there and look at me and the direction he should go, but wont go! I guess just back to square one would help, any advice would help. Guy is 16 months and in my eyes is doing very well for being handled by a first year trainer.

Which program or source of training are you following?
    From what you have described I have a strong feeling on what is going on. The steps in basics that deal with force fetch, conditioning to pressure, going when sent and stopping are very critical.
    It's not just about casting, it's about getting them to go. Go away from you with momentum in the direction you ask them to go. Once you have acquired that momentum then you worry about stopping them. There are many steps in a proper program to achieve this.
    When we meet we can discuss where you are at in training. I'll show you a flow chart and show you dogs off my truck that are in certain stages of the flow chart.

Iam using the learn as you go flow chart, looking forward to meeting up this week.

Quote Originally Posted by DEMainah View Post
    Iam using the learn as you go flow chart, looking forward to meeting up this week.
    Don't do that. People that are dog smarter than you or me have put it together in programs that will take your dog from a 6-7 month old puppy to a 14-15 month old basic handling retriever. I'd suggest you take advantage of their time and expertise. It'll save you a lot of beating your head against a wall and pulling your hair out. You'll still do a lot of that but at least you'll know what your dog isn't doing and the steps leading up to where your were when things started going sideways.

The ones I like are Lardy's, Total Retriever Training and Rick Stawski's, Fowl Dawgs. I believe the Midnight Sun Gundog Assn has both of them in it's library and is well worth joining the club to have access to them. Plus the hunt tests and picnic trials are fun.

It would work great if I had weekends off, tonight I shot 1-4 bumpers at a time with the launcher and he retrieved them all with no issues. Also put him on a remote sit and shot bumpers and walked back and sent him. Can't say that I've really beat my head against the wall at all. I know my limits as a trainer!