Thread: Where to hike TODAY!

Default Where to hike TODAY!

My wife is off on Wednesdays and just said she wants me to take her hiking. Admittedly, I haven't done much hiking in the valley but since I'm trying to get into "sheep shape" I figured this would be a good way to combine training and spending time with her. But, I have no idea where to go. She isn't really going to enjoy a super tough hike to the top of a mountain; but, I know she isn't going to like just walking on a paved trail through a park, either. We live in Palmer. Is there anything that isn't too challenging that may provide some decent views and isn't too icy this time of year?

Also, while I'm at it, can you guys suggest any of the "3,000 of the best hikes you can do within 37' of your back door" type of books for this area? Seems like if she's going to want go hiking more, it'd be good to have a book or two with info on this area.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Gold Mint trail at least to the mile 2 marker is in good shape right now. Other choices at Hatcher Pass also.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

55 ways into the wilderness
    Trails all over this area with some that are multi-use and some that are just hiking.

West Butte
    I've only done the other side of the Butte which migh be better snow conditions. Probably all blown off by now.

Mat-Su trails list

Lazy mountain shouldn't be too bad if you go up the Lazy Moose trail

I couple of suggestions:

1) Check our the crevasse morraine trail system off of the Pa-Wa.
    2) There are some trail near the community college that are decent, one leading down to a small pond.
    3) Most everything will still be covered in snow. If you want to get out between November and April, buy snow shoes. You can each pick up a pair of MSRs for less than $100. Even when trails are packed, they are easy to walk in and provide excellent traction. Steep, icy slope ahead? No big deal. It's like wearing crampons almost.
    4) Lazy mountain is not a good fit for a wife who wants to get outside but doesn't really want a lot of exertion. It's steep in many places.

Ditto the Lazy Mt. suggestion. The lazy moose trail isn't bad. You might need snowshoes after that last storm though. When you're ready for something a bit tougher, MATSU Peak is right behind Lazy Mt., and the view is breath - taking from the top. Best to wait for summer on that one though.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.