Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 spring bear changes

Default 2014 spring bear changes

units 7, 13D, 15 , & 16 allow brown bears to be taken at bait stations during open black bear baiting seasons with a bear baiting permit. The same restrictions that apply to black bear baiting apply to brown bear baiting. Edible meat of brown bears taken over bait must be salvaged....

thoughts???

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    units 7, 13D, 15 , & 16 allow brown bears to be taken at bait stations during open black bear baiting seasons with a bear baiting permit. The same restrictions that apply to black bear baiting apply to brown bear baiting. Edible meat of brown bears taken over bait must be salvaged....

thoughts???
    Is this something that is being considered or just something you'd like to see happen?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaZag View Post
    Is this something that is being considered or just something you'd like to see happen?
    Pretty sure those were all approved by the BOG but not public knowledge just yet.

i was at ADFG in Anchorage this morning checking to see if the new regs were out. They were not, but i was handed a copy of the "major changes". apparently i was the first person to receive this new print out.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    Edible meat of brown bears taken over bait must be salvaged....
    This is gonna be a tough one to sell... Edible?? Barely...
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    This is gonna be a tough one to sell... Edible?? Barely...
    totally agree there! will have to be extra careful to salvage what is required to not get into trouble. would be pretty cool to have the brownie option though!

the new changes will not go into effect until the new regulatory year which is july 1st. not sure what the spring 2013 regs will be.
    the "edible meat" definition is ALL edible meat, including neck and ribs, as opposed to existing black bear salvage requirements which are the straps and the quarters. this is only for bears shot over bait.
    the refuge is not going to allow brown bears shot over bait, and will likely have a concern over the lack of reproductive age sows being seperated in the 70 bear cap. this could lead them to close brown bear hunting on the refuge entirely, and also close black bear baiting if the brown bear season runs concurrently (which it will).
    all in all, we would have been better off with the departments proposal that was open registration no cap outside the refuge, and existing drawing permits within (in addition to "subsistence" harvest that is unlimited albeit there is a salvage requirement so no one bothers).
    unfortunately the BOG seemed determined to start a turf war with the refuge, and in the end bear hunters are going to be losers, not winners.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I very seriously doubt that the refuge will allow baiting of brown bears, so units 7 and 15 will be very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfoxAK View Post
    I very seriously doubt that the refuge will allow baiting of brown bears, so units 7 and 15 will be very limited.
    Not any question, there will not be baiting on the refuge.
    Looks like they will allow the registration hunt to begin in september, but may impose their own sow cap on refuge land.
    No decision yet on whether black bear baiting will be affected.

Awesome. Glad to see the new changes for Unit 16.
    BK

Anyone know the justification/reasoning for the salvage requirement on brownies taken over bait?

Anyone know the justification/reasoning for the salvage requirement on brownies taken over bait?
    It's a means of preventing overharvest, I would assume. If there were no meat salvage requirement, the number of brown bears taken over bait would likely be substantial - perhaps quite a bit higher than the department would like to see. Requiring meat salvage will likely mitigate the increase in harvest.

As for me, I'll be out there pursuing brown bears on the Kenai Peninsula, but it won't be over bait.

Salvage of meat means "bringing it out of the field". End of story.

Since this is open only during black bear baiting season the salvage stipulation is to stay in accordance with existing regulations. If spring black bear meat need be salvaged, then brown bear also. This was the opinion of the law department.
    as to the definition of "edible meat" on a brown bear, they are bigger, so neck and rib meat was deemed salvageable.

I bet that the refuge institutes a sow cap of between 6 and 10.

Can someone provide the page in the regs that details this?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Can someone provide the page in the regs that details this?
    BOG made the changes in the meeting that adjourned yesterday. Won't be in print until new regs come out in June. May be adjusted by EO this spring if anything is applicable.

Not that I'm not happy with the brown bear baiting going to be open on the Kenai, but I'm curious as to why they waited till next spring, when there weren't any permit apps given out for this year? Why do you think they are waiting a year....???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Not that I'm not happy with the brown bear baiting going to be open on the Kenai, but I'm curious as to why they waited till next spring, when there weren't any permit apps given out for this year? Why do you think they are waiting a year....???
    No real secret, just the way the regulatory process works. Hunting regulation year is july thru june.

That's true, but I hadn't thought of it.........just too anxious I guess. Actually, I really was thinking it would be nice to save a few moose calves this spring.

Anyway, still thinking about this big fella that might still be in the area.....

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Salvage of meat means "bringing it out of the field". End of story.
    Nope, page 22 of the hunting regs: "Salvage of meat means to transport the edible meat to the location where it will be processed for human consumption..."
    Taking it straight from the field to the nearest dumpster likely constitutes wanton waste.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast