Thread: New Combat Infantry Riflescope

Default New Combat Infantry Riflescope

Just ran across this article:

From Leupold and Aimpoint: http://www.militaryaerospace.com/art...MAEMarch202013

Looks to me like a rather bulky and heavy combination to put on top of the M16 platform but the 6X zoom is a big jump from the 3X zooms we have become so accustomed to using.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Looks like it would be more beneficial to a SDM rifle than a knockabout grunt carbine.
    Now what ?

I don't see the point. Are they trying to turn a grunts rifle into a part time sniper rifle or the other way around. Seems to me what they have now is about perfect for a combat 5.56, good in close, good at mid range, and not too bad out to max effective range of the round.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Was watching a documentary on the Military Channel, in the move into Iraq, so many bad guys were found with headshots investigators were called in to determine why. They thought executions were being carried out. Turns out the standard M-16 and M-4 are so accurate in the hands of Marines and Army infantry, headshots were not at all impossible. With those old, old antiquated things we used to call iron sights. You know, those things that don't require batteries. Now if you drop a 3-18 scope for long range and that tiny red-dot on top of it, how much more effective will the M-16 be? I am interested to see how this pans out. I know the grunts will love them if they can hold up. Sure would make target identification easier.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Looks like it would be more beneficial to a SDM rifle than a knockabout grunt carbine.
    I remember reading somewhere that the Marines wanted to increase the number of SDM's (or whatever they call them in the Marines), this scope might be their answer. Also, the article says that it's designed for the M4A1. The majority of Marines are still equipped with M16A4's.

The scope's magnification also leads me to believe that it's designed for designated marksmen. I can make 400 yd head sized hits with my 1x4 Aimpoint on 4X. I can use it as a CQB optic on 1x.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You no doubt noted that the article also said this combo is going on the MK16 and MK17 (SCAR-L and -H) and MK11 (SR-25) and MK12 (SPR) rifles, as well as 'normal' M4, M4A1, and M-16s. From the contract prices a rough guess would be 15,000 units, so an SDM-like purpose/deployment is probable.

Was related a story about a HSLD guy that was carrying a 10.3/10.5 (with no magnification) and was being laughed at for shooting at targets 600+ yards away. He put up, Bang!=TD, and everyone shut up. Then he did it again. And again...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

WAL, if the 5.56 catridge was worth a hoot, they wouldn't hafta hang all that gadgetry all over the gun.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

It's a whole lot easier and cheaper to put a scope or such on a rifle than to teach a grunt to shoot irons. All you have to do is teach a shooter to keep the x, red dot or whatever on the target while they pull the trigger.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    It's a whole lot easier and cheaper to put a scope or such on a rifle than to teach a grunt to shoot irons. All you have to do is teach a shooter to keep the x, red dot or whatever on the target while they pull the trigger.
    Problee, and especially at a half mile, (880 yds.)

Few people have faith in iron sights these days, anyway.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.