Thread: Sportjet 200 Opti Rebuild

Default Sportjet 200 Opti Rebuild

I bought a 200 core that failed #6 con rod. (Bent) it also appears that the crank has a slight bend. Can a machine shop straighten this? Also I am going to need a new rod. Does anyone know of any other wrecked sportjets laying around? Maybe a friend or a for sale add you have seen? I would be happy with just the rod, but would look at all parts, both engine and jet. Any help appreciated with his.
    Thanks!

Not be a downer but if it does have a bent crank the rest of the rods/bearings will be suspect. Have someone turn the crank and look for issues first. If it were me I'd be shopping for a crank, rods, and bearings. These motors don't live for a heck of a long time new so a rebuild will need to be handled with care.

Anywho, I do wish you luck on the build.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Well the engine did not fail under any load. I am not sure it even ran, or if it did, it was for only a moment. The engine died due to water ingestion. From what I am told it was the result of a kicker motor being used in reverse. The lowest cylinder (#6) got water into it, and when attempting to start, bent the rod. The crank is out .012" now. The rest of the engine in like new. The block has been magnafluxed, the pistons look near brand new, etc. I would definetly be using new rings and bearings in a rebuilt. The rest of the rods will be checked for straitness as well. I am mostly concerned with the crank, and if it can even be repaired. A new one is darn expensive!