Thread: Has anyone grown peppers in AK? What type and what did you do?

Default Has anyone grown peppers in AK? What type and what did you do?

I have grown green peppers, jalapeņos peppers and Tabasco peppers indoors. I have also grown green peppers in a plastic greenhouse here in Alaska but can not remember what strain. What peppers have you grown here in Alaska and how? When do you start them and what varieties do you use? Advice on tomatoes would be nice too.
    Hey Mark, if you are reading this, did you get your tomatoes in the greenhouse and how are they doing?
    Thanks!

Default Peppers

I transplanted 3 of my plants into a large container, and the plants have 16 peppers on them with alot of blooms. Try California Wonder for a bellpepper, wonderful flavor.
    My first batch of tomatoes went ok, I culled several because they did not look quite right, I do not take tomato disease lightly. The survivors, however, are looking great and have flowers forming. My next batch is above and beyond expectations and I have started stuffing my favorites into large containers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lowenfels' column this week was specific to peppers. It's mostly aimed at those new to growing peppers, but is still worth a read:

http://www.adn.com/2013/03/21/283422...eppers-in.html

Default Peppers

Good info, but kinda vague on the important points. Start seeds by early March, and take note... their growth slows when transplanted. The article did not state that peppers do not like night time temperatures below 60 degees, think about that in AK. With that said... if you really want peppers you need a means to sling alittle summer heat into the plant shack that is affordable. I can say this from experience, a heated greenhouse really makes a huge difference, I mean no comparison. I believe the nightime temps are also a major setback for the real deal tomatoes, in quantity that is. The best tomato I ever ate in AK was a beefsteak I grew years ago in my unheated greenhouse that had 3-5 ugly tomatoes, oh my!
    Another point to consider is how much Aphids love pepper plants. Better keep them under control, by door staying closed, spraying, or parastic bugs.
    I'm going to try some Jalepeno, Marconi Giants and Kung Pao for some experimentation.

Mark has a good point on the aphids. One year we grew bell peppers and jalapenos...they did well in the greenhouse.
    The last two years the aphids hammered 'em relentlessly. We tried all sorts of remedies but the aphids were stronger than the organic methods we tried.
    BK

I had problem with thrips on my peppers last fall. It was truly awful. I had to take everything down and start over (it was a very small indoor setup). I may have to rethink the pepper project. Thanks!

I alway grow at least one pepper.
    I use it as an aphid detector.

If I get aphids, they like peppers best, I get after them quick so the toms & cucs don't get attacked.
    Past few years I got lots of Jalepeno peppers on the one plant & no aphids.
    Also watch your store bought plants for the little buggers. May sometimes have eggs in the soil
    Don't open the GH door unless it's screened, helps keep bugs out.

Getting used to having peppers now so I may grow more this year.
    And hope for no aphids