Thread: Tackle FAQ???

Default Tackle FAQ???

Is there a place on the board where one could go to get a list of tackle needed to do a fishing trip??

AA's books offer some insight, but a list of hook sizes, colors of lures, flys most productive,,, per a given area might be helpful. Just point to that section an go for it.. Can it be assumed that what ever reds on Kodiak bite, is the same as those fish in Anchorage? Any need to buy lures in the 1/4oz range for salmon, or should they be in the 2/3 to 7/8 oz range?

I will be starting to gather my terminal tackle as soon as I get the rest of the fly rods, and spinning gear delivered.

I see some examples here and there of lures and flys.

Thanks again!

Default Pining it down...

I never could handle it.

The arsenal is endless, much like every angler's opinion. Though the local input is very valuable, once you let them know where you are and when, and whether you fly or spin, and what is your target species.

Try being a little more specific to your needs, and they'll usually chide in with plenty of data.

Hope this assists in the terminal view...

http://www.alaskanuthor.com

Way too varied of equipment and techniques for each river and area, not to mention regulations and in-season regulation changes. Best to hit a local tackle shop once you get here. I think the best thing to do is have a general knowledge of the area and fishing you are going to be doing and bring a rod or two up tht matches those fishing conditions. When you get here go to the local tackle shop for information and the right tackle.

An example would be the "Anchor Angler" in Anchor Point if you are fishing that area or Soldotna Trusworthy if you doing the Kenai or Kasilof. Places like that are extremely helpful and will put you in the right direction.

Default Tackle requirements for Alaska

I would consider buying a book called Alaska Fishing, The Ultimate Anglers Guide by Lemeres & Pedersen. It includes all the tackle and lures needed to catch all the species of fish in Alaska. The book rates all the possible fishing destinations. Also Alaskan Author has a great book on Kodiak fishing that I would recommend. The Reds on Kodiak are smaller than what you would catch on the Kenai R, and I would fish flies in sizes 6 & 4. Some of the flys that have worked best for me include the Grey Ghost, Brassie, and Black Nose Dase. On the Kenai you can fish larger Coho Flies found in most tackle shops.

Default But the blue book says,,,,,

[quote=AlaskanAuthor;101010]I never could handle it.

The arsenal is endless, much like every angler's opinion. END OF QUOTE

I finished the book on Kodiak, and now have been reading the gereric stuff in the blue book. I have an idea who makes most of the lures that Ammato supplied photos of. And, I guess if I look at the color schemes of the locally made Mepps types, shown in the green book, I can duplicate them and bring some with me.

I am not trying to make mom and pop tackle shop go broke, but I am going to be after this trip. So, if I can get some lures wholesale, I will. Matter of fact, I plan on tying some streamers too.

More than likely mom and pop will make some money off me no matter what I bring. So be it. At this point I am just writing checks to the charge card companies anyhow.

But, I think I will call the guides tonight and get an idea of what hook sizes, etc are proper. I read in the blue book that "certain hooks (sizes/configs) can be used in areas of confluence." Three syllables. My dictionary only goes up to two syllables. Never mind, I will look it up in the regs too. Don't want to send money to the state in the form of a fine if I can help it.

Regards

I'm not sure that your getting the point here. Growing up we had 1 tackle box for fishing back home. Now I don't know if its cause I have gone nuts or simply because it is what is required for fishing in AK but I just about have 1 tackle box per specie. If you really want help you need to specify what and where you want to fish. Nobody expects you to support AK, most of us here are just outdoorsman and like to talk about it. We know more than you can imagine what it costs to fish in AK.

Default REDS, KINGS, (halibut don't count) everything else!!!

Going to Kodiak, want to catch REDS, lots of'em.. And Kings, so long as the gear holds up.. And what ever else is worth eating.. I might do some lake fishing, if I can limit out on the reds. And yes, I will be on the road system in Mid July. I will have both spinning and fly gear. Decent stuff. Multi weights. If you need a loose tippet to be a fisherman in AK, then I will hopefully fit right in!! My frequent flyer miles, from purchases alone, are going to hit four digits just from this trip!!(Everything is going on the card, lures, gas, motel, car rental, etc etc..) Should have been born a you know what. A full tank of gas and an empty charge card and I am good to GO!!!

Emergency plan: I have scheduled about three charters/guides already..

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I'm not sure that your getting the point here. Growing up we had 1 tackle box for fishing back home. Now I don't know if its cause I have gone nuts or simply because it is what is required for fishing in AK but I just about have 1 tackle box per specie. If you really want help you need to specify what and where you want to fish. Nobody expects you to support AK, most of us here are just outdoorsman and like to talk about it. We know more than you can imagine what it costs to fish in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Only one per species? I will publically admit that I have too much gear.