Thread: Redfield 2X6 handgun scope?

Default Redfield 2X6 handgun scope?

I recently bought a Remington XP100 with a Redfield 2X6 handgun scope on it to hunt coyotes with and shot this for the first time today. Sighted at 25 yards to get onto paper then moved back to 100 yards bench. When I raised the power up to 6 the tube appeared less than 1" in diameter while looking through it, eye relief was more distant also. I've never used a varible power handgun scope before. Is this typical of the breed of scope? Do all varible powered handgun scopes do this? I've always liked Redfields for their clarity and brightness but, never imagined this before.
    Please, what scope would you recommed, and why?
    Steve

I have Leupolds on Both of my scoped handguns and have not had any problems with them. One is a Super Red Hawk in 44 mag, and the other is a TC in 7-30 Waters. One is a straight 2x the other is a 2.5 X 8. I have been shooting both of them for over 15 years with no problems.

Have you tryed resetting the eye relief at 6 power? It should then be good at lower settings.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

How do I reset eye relief on this? I bought this rig used without instructions.
    Steve

Just try sliding it back and forth in the mounts till you get the best field of view with you normal hold. The person you got the gun from may have had different arm length and hold making it off for you.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

S.B. did you get the scope to work?

Your earlier advice won't work there is not enough room between the back ring and the power setting ring on the scope. Since this is a out of date scope, the only way I can see to fix is with a rear ring that would alow me to move scope ahead by at least an inch? I thought someone with experience with these may chime in?
    Steve

You need to move the scope BACK towards your eye.
    This is a common problem with long eye relief variable pistol scopes. It is the same as the field of view getting smaller in a rifle scope as you increase power but you can see it with a pistol scope.
    The biggest problem is to keep scope ahead enough so it does not get planted in your face.

bfr, please read earlier posts? There's no room to do as you suggest.
    Steve

Maybe these will explain my situation better? As you can see in the pixs the rear ring is near the middle of the base already(Burris mount and rings). Don't know if a different mount/ring setup would be any better with this scope?

Steve

Best as I can see it looks like you have about ĺĒ you can slide it back in the rings. If that isnít enough two piece bases will move the front ring back about an inch, back ring about two inches and looks like you have room on the tube to handle the wider spaced rings . . . Get you 2-Ĺ to 3 inches farther back.

What grip are you using? Moving it back could be as simple as altering your grip by bending your elbows or moving a hand up on the stock more like a rifle. A good trick is a lanyard loop under one arm and behind the neck over the opposite shoulder. Then you can push out agents the lanyard and get a third point to stabilize the gun and lock it in good but also the shorter the lanyard the closer in the gun will be so you get ajustment and better stability. About 12-14 inches is where most older long eye relief scopes want to be, much closer than a normal extended handgun hold . . . Donít want to get it too close and get scoped ether though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I think my original question has been answered and this is typical of this breed of scope.
    Steve