Thread: Fuel Economy with Bearcat XT 570

Default Fuel Economy with Bearcat XT 570

I have anew 2012 Bearcat XT 570. I have put about 400 miles on the machine and consistently get about 7 mpg on a range of riding from joy riding (not much) to hauling firewood. Dealer says I should get 12 mpg and has been good about looking at it and tweaking it (tune carbs, new clutch, check a number of other things) but nothing has helped.

I am interested in other's experience regarding fuel consumption with this widetrack/570. If everyone is getting 7 mpg then I gues that's what it is but I keep hearing about 12-15mpg from some people.

I demo'd one for a few rides in 2010. I never got over 8 mpg. You are asking a 570 fan cooled engine to drag around big heavy machine. The Skidoo 550 fan sleds have the same issue. Poor mileage, but good reliability. I rarely get 12mpg on my XT 4-stroke Bearcat and I've heard of people bragging about 20 mpg????
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My friend has a Skandic wide track with a 550 fan, so very similar to yours. On a trail ride he burned through 10 gallons of gas in 75 miles, so again, similar to yours.

I have the 2012 Bearcat 570 ( non widetrack ) and I am lucky if I get 7-8 MPG. Love the machine but hate the way it eats gas. I went out on a trail breaking run with a bunch of different sleds and we all got around the same MPG except my buddys 2006 M8. And he was out tearing up every swamp we came too and still had 1/4 tank left. The worse was the polaris. The sleds included 2002 Scandik widetrack, 2002 Polaris 500 short track, my 2012 bearcat, a 2012 T570, and the 2006 M8. This was a 80 mile run and we were all on fumes except the M8. The polaris ran dry 2 miles from the cabin...

check the color of a new set of plugs, then lean out the jets if possible. Dealer should have an assortment of jets. AK doug instructed me to do this with my widetrack last year, and I'm getting 14 mpg hauling supplies/gear for week long ice fishing trips. My machine was jetted disgustingly rich......from the factory.

Getting to the carbs on the Bearcat can be a bear ( ) So jetting it might be really tough. If I had one I would drop the money on an ATAC system and follow the instructions very carefully.

I have a 2013 Bearcat 570 (not XT), and I got 105 miles on an 11 gal tank. This was trail riding mixed in with breaking trail and putting around and through alders. My machine only had 300 or so miles as well.

Thanks for your input everyone. Northern Power sports did rejet my carbs to lean them out and arguably there is a slight improvment. 7mph seems to be my number for the mixed riding I do.

We got 2 ft of new snow on Friday night at my cabin (upper Susitina) and I had my bearct XT and my Skandic LT with me. The Bearcat did a bit better breaking trail owing to the wide track (I actually broke trail and pulled small sled with the Bearcat). I love the Bearcat in every way except the gas mileage. Sort of disappointing that the dealer told me 12 mpg before I bought it. You would think they would know what the machine would really do. I also tried calling Arctic Cat corporate in Minnesota hoping that I might get some input from them. They would not even talk to e.. Told me talk to my dealer. I was not impressed with that attitude. I expect better from Minnesotans.

Trail test yesterday with my buddy and a buddy on a borrowed 570xt. 6.56mpg on slightly snowy Denali Highway with him and his son riding two up on it, no sled. My four stroke Bearcat XT carrying my fat butt and 60lbs of gear (about the same weight as my friend and son) plus I was towing an empty UHMW sled, got 13.5 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

Thanks again for the replies - I guess I have to accept that my mileage is within the range of normal. Kinda disappointing that the dealer said I should expect 12. I probably would have looked harder at the 2 stroke hi-tech versions (fuel injected liquid cooled) that Polaris and Skidoo offer on their widetracks. Considerably more money but at the current fuel economy and 1,000 miles/year I would pay for the hi tech engine soon enough.

It's tough to beat the Skidoo E-Tech 600. I sure wish Skidoo would have considered wind protection with their Skandics. The windshield and side protection they offer is pathetic.

New 2013 Bearcat 570XT I am getting about 10 MPG with a sled going across Lake Louise and Susitna lake 17 mile run at about 35 to 40 miles an hour.

I have had the older, much lighter style Bearcat, a 2007 model with the 570 fan-cooled motor. I jet according to the temp that is recommended on the decal on the top of the airbox. I get about 11.5 mpg when I ride within that temp range. If it is really cold, and jetted within the range, I can get about 14 mpg. I have 7,000 miles on this machine.

Look at the top of the airbox to see what the recommended jetting would be for a specific temp range. You should be able to get better than 7mpg.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...