Thread: Any steelhead fishing in Juneau?

Default Any steelhead fishing in Juneau?

Was wondering if any of you guys from Juneau fish steelhead or cutthroats this time of year?Most of the creeks seem to be enough water to fish.Just wanting to do something on are off days down here.If we can't fish we are gonna go try and find some blue grouse to shoot.

the first place I fish is on auke lake at the mouth of lake creek, just ast the lake starts to break up, I cast little fry flies and do pretty good. most steelhead don't come in until april.
    Are the grouse hooting yet? cause I would probally spend my time chaseing them first.

I'd say that grouse are a couple weeks out yet. This snow we're getting will shut them up some. Like AKducks said steelhead are an April gig and usually late April. Lake creek is as good as anywhere right now. Can't even point you toward Twin Lakes right now since they're draining them....
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

What's bringing you down....work? or on the way through for fun?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Can't even point you toward Twin Lakes right now since they're draining them....
    Yah, I noticed that as well - why are they dry? Ducks are loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    Was wondering if any of you guys from Juneau fish steelhead or cutthroats this time of year?Most of the creeks seem to be enough water to fish.Just wanting to do something on are off days down here.If we can't fish we are gonna go try and find some blue grouse to shoot.
    I always get ancy this time of year - hooters not hooting, steelhead not in yet - outdoorsman limbo. I've snorkeled some deep spots in creeks in Feb and March and I've found a fair number of cutty's holed up for winter but for the life of me cant get em to take a fly. I'm just tying some flies and biding my time for another couple weeks.

If you can get on the salt there may be a winter king to be scraped off the bottom, and rockfish bite well year round.

Heard from a buddy that people are hearing hooters around Juneau.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonahtic View Post
    Yah, I noticed that as well - why are they dry? Ducks are loving it.
    There's an invasive millfoil (weed) that has taken up residence in Twin Lakes. If it were to spread to other lakes it could be pretty bad. They drain the lakes and fill them with salt water every spring to kill off the millfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Heard from a buddy that people are hearing hooters around Juneau.
    if its sunny out and the sun hits the right part of the mountain side you can get some hooters starting off pretty early in the year.

I miss spring hunting for hooters!

My hunting log says I got a hooter on the 23rd last year.
    A week of sun would really help to get that moving.

Just got back to anchorage and headed up to Fairbanks to catch another crew up on work for a week then headed back down that way.Will be bringing my 10/22 heard most shots on hooters are in trees.So gonna be my first time looking for them just wondering if I should concentrate on higher elevations?Looks like there is a pile of snow up high and sure it will be a challenge!