Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Halibut Bait? Wild story

Default New Halibut Bait? Wild story

So here's a good one for the doldrums of winter. Got a call from a local lodge owner here in town and he went out king fishing yesterday since the water was good. Kings have been decent so folks have been going out when the water is favorable. As he is trolling one of the reefs in a bay he gets a huge takedown on his rod. Buddy yells out he had a whack and to watch it. A second later the rod jumps 2 feet but doesn't release. He trolled for a few more seconds and no more action so he decides to check the bait. He popped the pole and starts to wind up the downrigger (electric scotty) the pole was 30 feet down in 50 feet of water. He noticed the downrigger was struggling a bit and looked over the side just as the ball was coming up. His ENTIRE ball was in the mouth of a huge halibut! Now last week he caught a 148# butt on the troll and he said this one had at least 100# on that one, as a longtime fisherman I tend to believe his weight estimate. As the fish neared the surface it coughed up the ball and did a dive back to the bottom. He said it porpoised like a humpback and shot back to the bottom! Needless to say it was a first for him and they decided to move to a new location since they didn't want to deal with a fish that big on salmon gear. He was pretty excited and claimed "That thing was as big as my ****ing kayak!" Excuse the french. Good stuff.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

i have seen somebody catch a king on a bober....but thats a first for me!!! thanks for sharing

So are you saying I shouldnt use my chrome,black, and blue powder paints to give the downrigger weights I make a cool salmon looking paint job.
    That is a cool story. This is a glow in the dark downrigger weight I made for Drifter016 maybe I need to warn him before a fish steals it.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I have caught silvers by attaching a hook to the bobber because they keep pounding the bobber and ignoring the cured eggs.......
    Have seen rockfish repeatedly attack a banana weight and hardly even look at the hootchie........
    Many times wached trout follow and maul a split shot but ignore the spinner................

I bet many missed bites from all sorts of fish are because they are biting the weights !!
    Telling you, fancy expensive lures are not needed.............

nothing in fishing tales escapes believability

in the 70's I witnessed the haul-in of a 300 lb. goliath grouper that inhaled a silver bright anchor as it was skittering across the sand trying to be set; the fish inhaled it, got its jaws stuck on the tongs, could not exhale, and was firmly caught

why would I lie?
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post

in the 70's I witnessed the haul-in of a 300 lb. goliath grouper that inhaled a silver bright anchor as it was skittering across the sand trying to be set; the fish inhaled it, got its jaws stuck on the tongs, could not exhale, and was firmly caught

why would I lie?
    Did they have a windlass? Wow!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

This is what makes fishing so exciting, you jus never know what will happen. I've had very interesting incidents that go against traditional fish behavior. I've seen pike attack my bobbers, but not the bAit, had silvers and kings nail bobbers too, as well as trout. Had salmon and lake trout strike at my down rigger weights while trolling, had trout and grayling and even salmon attack the bare hook. Always interesting.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post

why would I lie?
    You had me till that last question you posed. You are a fisherman aren't you??!!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    So are you saying I shouldnt use my chrome,black, and blue powder paints to give the downrigger weights I make a cool salmon looking paint job.
    That is a cool story. This is a glow in the dark downrigger weight I made for Drifter016 maybe I need to warn him before a fish steals it.

Fish steals it??What??? Put a BIG hook on it

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    That's what I'm taling about! I never hook anything on the back anyway so why not?!

Great story Gooch and thanks for sharing it.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

A number of years ago we were anchored off Anchor Point fishing Halibut out of my boat. The tide was slacking up so, I reeled up,put fresh bait and snapped on a 16 oz sinker.
    Let the line out ,bounced bottom and just locked the reel when the rod buried. Whoa, I've got a good one. Dragslipped and I started pumping and gaining. All of a sudden it felt like a broken line. Shucks I said. I reeled up to find the snap swivel open and my weight gone. So, it does happen.
    Just like Bernard, why should I lie!!!

A few years ago while trolling the lower Columbia we kept getting these huge takedowns that wouldn't stick and every time we reeled in the 10 oz dropper weight would be gone. After about the 4th time this happened a couple of porpoises surfaced next to the boat. I'm not sure why they kept attacking the lead weights but as soon as we moved upriver a couple of miles it stopped.

That goliath grouper was foul hooked with an anchor by two FL country boys whose idea of a good time was to drink beer, get drunk, and shoot sea gulls. When I came upon the scene the boat was tied up at a local pier and the fish was laying dead inside. There were spent shot shells and empty beer cans all over, plus two shotguns tucked in the gunnels.

I boarded and examined the fish. Both sides of the beast were flushed red in lateral lines from hemorrhage. The mouth was torn with the jaws ripped almost apart. I photographed it and sent the image and the story to Outdoor Life magazine. They didn't even respond to me.

No; I don't have the photo any more; that event happened in 1972. Yet like many other tales known by us all who lie and sometimes not, I still have the memory...

Rosenberg; Sarasota, FL / Kodiak, AK / Zhengzhou, CN
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Cool Story Gooch,...

Those Old Halibut,...are Predators,..

my thought,.."What did she think that Cannonball resembled,...as attackable ?"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post

I never thought about jigging with it. At 10 pounds that would be heck just to reel up on a rod and reel.
    Maybe I could fish with it on the downrigger?

I've witnessed halibut taking the 1 or 2 lb lead and holding on all the way to the boat before they'd open their jaws and release the lead. I've also seen great take downs, but when you'd grab the rod to set the hook, nothing. However, inspecting the 1 or 2 lb lead would show nice shiney teeth marks. It became our theory that to the halibut a 1 or 2 lb round lead weight might look like the little jelly fish or something. I don't think a halibut's eyesight is the greatest. just my nickles worth.

Some of my Halibut cannonball weight molds accept a second eyelet. It would be easy to add a split ring and hook to the weight.
    Might be worth testing.

Years ago back in Long Island New York, I took my little brother fishing at a local pond. With him being so young, I just put a 1 once lead weight on his line and tossed his line for him. A couple of minutes later he says he feels something and when he reels it in, a sunfish had inhaled the weight and could not back off of it.Too funny but it does happen.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    You had me till that last question you posed. You are a fisherman aren't you??!!

and a writer as well
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

While fishing out of Homer last year we were in a good spot catching halibut every few minutes. I had a halibut on and as I was reeling it in, it kept getting heavier then lighter then heavier and so on. As I got it near the surface there were three other halibut taking turns hammering my 2 lb cannonball weight. I just kept the weight at the surface and watched these three halibut engulfing the weight, spit it out and repeat over and over.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast