Thread: Recycling Shrinkwrap?

Default Recycling Shrinkwrap?

Does anyone know of anywhere to recycle shrinkwrap? I uncovered the boat last week, and I don't really want to take the wrapping to the landfill. Are there any options in Anchorage to recycle this stuff?

Depending on how 'efficient' you were when removing it; I have a neighbor who uses his old shrinkwrap as a tight-fitting tarp/boat cover.

No idea on where to take it for recycling though.

- Gambler

great question!

For what it costs it's a shame you can't reuse it.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I wish I could reuse it, but I don't think I could get it over the boat again. But if anyone has need for it, I've got yards of the stuff. FREE.

The recycling center behind Napa on Dowling recycles plastic wrap. However, only plastic wrap that is "stretchy" can be recycled. I believe that type of material is not recyclable.

I am in the recycling buz and do not think it is possible, but I will ask around in the states and see if we can find a avenue.
    Jake Zirkle
    Alaska Fly Water Guides
    www.alaskaflywater.com

The company i buy my inflatable buoys does recycle shrink wrap i think they make some kind of guardrail blocks out of it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Most of what I have has not been heated, so it's basically pristine. Other than sitting on a boat through the winter. I just don't have use for it, nor a heat gun to make it work. If anyone wants it, it's free for the taking. I'll post on Craigslist, too, to see if I can find something other than the landfill.

If you have interest, PM me.

If you are carful taking it off you can recycle it back on next winter. I know of some boat owners down south that re-shrink their boats for three or four years. I guess all you need is a weed burner and some special tapes, never done it myself just remember reading a thread on it somewhere.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Does anyone know of anywhere to recycle shrinkwrap? I uncovered the boat last week, and I don't really want to take the wrapping to the landfill. Are there any options in Anchorage to recycle this stuff?
    It's not cost effictive to recycle;

The plastic can be recycle: http://dr-shrink.com/products-page/r...ycling-system/

This is the stuff: http://dr-shrink.com/products-page/1...rap-ds-127149/

My understanding in the use of this product is its used once and trashed. I started to use the complete system this past winter and will recycle it to the plastic recyclers. Once you shrink the wrap, its done it's job, and as far as I know its not re-useable.

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Erne View Post
    It's not cost effictive to recycle;

The plastic can be recycle: http://dr-shrink.com/products-page/r...ycling-system/

This is the stuff: http://dr-shrink.com/products-page/1...rap-ds-127149/

My understanding in the use of this product is its used once and trashed. I started to use the complete system this past winter and will recycle it to the plastic recyclers. Once you shrink the wrap, its done it's job, and as far as I know its not re-useable.
    Here's a recycle link: http://www.industrialrecyclers.com/contact.html

cover your wood pile....when it gets beat down from the sun ...u burn it.
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    cover your wood pile....when it gets beat down from the sun ...u burn it.
    Good Idea,,,and use a new piece every season or continue to add to other piles of cut wood.

We're the only place that shrink wraps on a commercial scale in Homer, typically 100+ plus boats.
    1. Can be reused if used on the same or smaller (dimensionally) boat, remove the existing wrap with care, don't go hog wild and cut it all up. We often work on boats (paint, repair, etc) in the winter that have been wrapped and have to make sure they're drum tight when we're done to ensure the snow sheds. One cut slice down the center where it follows the temporary "ridge beam" towards the bow will do it and can be re-taped later.
    2. Yes we use special tape for seams and such but I found that the red plastic stucco tape (not the red duct tape) which you can find at Home Depot or SBS sticks tenaciously.
    3. Adequate lumber framing a bit larger than (or use shims) the previous years' wrap will provide the required tautness.
    4. Install a shrink wrap door. This makes the above MUCH easier.
    5. Can't say enough about how effective the shrink wrap is. Every year our customers do it and like the results, a clean, dry, mold & mildew resistant boat. We install vents in the wrap and crack open the boats windows. Boats, cars, rv's all need airflow.
    6. It can be re-heated, experience counts and its not nearly as workable as when its first heated.