Thread: How would you survive a nuclear attack from North Korea?

Default How would you survive a nuclear attack from North Korea?

If we got warning that a nuclear missile was inbound for Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau, what would you do? Do you have any emergency preparations in place for such an event? If so, what are they? Just curious if anyone has ever thought of this before. I know it isn't likely, but with a crazy wack job like Kim Sung Un (or whatever his name is) out there you never know.

I'd kiss my wife and prepare to meet my Maker!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Sit back and watch the show..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Synd
    Could not have said it better.

I think if it were to hit within a 100 miles of Anchoragethere is not much anyone can do... you will probably not survived the blastwithin 25miles. The fallout will do the rest depending on the time of the yearand prevailing winds. I would think (could be wrong) but if the impact waslarge enough it could cause some sort of seismic reaction to the area as well.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Paint a BIG RED "X" on my roof !

I honestly think if a nuclear warhead was inbound a person would not have much if any warning anyways... the exception would be people living in the area of OUR missle silos. All the other whackjobs in the world don't worry me all that much, they are just playing a game and know their contry would be whiped off the map if an event ever happened... I am honestly more worried about how our government will handle domestic issues such as gun controll or medical care

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

Even though it would probably be pointless. I would down my iodine pills, grab my emergency kits, rifles, my 3 years of food storage, say a prayer, and head for the mountains with my wife. I'd probably be calling friends and family to invite them along too.

Like Sweepint said, It really depends on POI and prevailing winds.

The technology would likely be primitive and the warhead of low yield. Your most immediate concern if not vaporized on impact would be to get upwind from the fallout.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If we didn't know till it's already inbound, it's game over. Snyd has the best plan.

Well you would have twenty minutes assuming you knew the second it left....and assume it is accurate, hard it buy, wait for your interceptors to knock it down. The big question what happens after that. If we pave north Korea then china has an issue. What that means is Alaska is a pawn in a bigger game. In this day in age we shoot them down. You should ask darpa for the 747 with the laser.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I'd kiss my wife and prepare to meet my Maker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Sit back and watch the show..
    Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Paint a BIG RED "X" on my roof !
    C'mon, seriously guys. I thought this was supposed to be a survival thread. Sounds like you guys are throwing in the towel a little too soon to me. You wouldn't even attempt to survive the blast? What about bomb shelters or basements? How far is the blast radius on a typical nuke? Does anyone have any clue as to how big of nuke these guys got? What would the range on one of these missiles be limited to?

I like 907pride's idea about taking iodine tablets and heading for the hills, but I would think that it would probably be smart to wait it out at least for a few weeks to let the radiation levels subside I would think. What exactly does the iodine tablets do anyway? I've heard of them before, but not sure how they protect you from radiation. Where can you get them? Do they sell them at pharmacy stores or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    C'mon, seriously guys. I thought this was supposed to be a survival thread. Sounds like you guys are throwing in the towel a little too soon to me. You wouldn't even attempt to survive the blast? What about bomb shelters or basements? How far is the blast radius on a typical nuke? Does anyone have any clue as to how big of nuke these guys got? What would the range on one of these missiles be limited to?

I like 907pride's idea about taking iodine tablets and heading for the hills, but I would think that it would probably be smart to wait it out at least for a few weeks to let the radiation levels subside I would think. What exactly does the iodine tablets do anyway? I've heard of them before, but not sure how they protect you from radiation. Where can you get them? Do they sell them at pharmacy stores or what?

Ok, if they tell me a nuke is headed to Fairbanks, I'll go in my basement... with my wife... and prepare to meet my Maker.

But, if we want to "get serious" about this. We won't be getting an email, twitter, tweet, facebook or pm that a missile is headed our way. We will be trying to knock it out of the sky before it gets here. If it gets through anddDepending on if it hits north or south of the Alaska Range will determine what any of us do after that.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Do you really think they will let the public know there are Nuke inbound to our AO? Really... We will never hear about it until the blast and if they were to shoot one down we probably would not hear about that for weeks because of public panic scare's.
    There is alot of variables here on what size of the WH and payload. Why not you do the research and inform all of us.

As for Idine tablets you are much better off with some house old bleach that the tablet. It will last much longer and kill far more than the tablets do plus taste awhole lot better.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Im going to flip over my duckboat crawl under it and hug my decoys...lol

Seriously agree with Synd on this one...lots to consider. Agree we will never know..dont even think they will sound the siren off for it. It will just feel like a huge earthquake and that will be that..if you are lucky enought to survive..I will head east to Canada and pitch a tent on the border..lol Would like to live at the cabin though..or maybe the boat in sewards..but not sure...maybe move down to Mexico..no..cant do that..no bears..but they do have ducks...wait..is that radiation i smell..

President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

My guess is they would aim for something with a military and civilian population that would be high. That leaves two choices in Alaska. Stop to think about wind direction and nominal yield (smaller then the first one dropped on Japan). Forty miles up wind from the major targets would be far enough. A distance that could not be traveled in 20 minutes. North Korea is not the problem (and based upon current policy over the last 20 years) its China. Wild card at best. See the US would not strike back in kind. That was the reason for the B-52 exercises last week. Saber rattling, nothing more. Best time for a response is two days for missile strike and three months for ground. Anything faster, would cause the wild card to act.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Ok, if they tell me a nuke is headed to Fairbanks, I'll go in my basement... with my wife... and prepare to meet my Maker.

But, if we want to "get serious" about this. We won't be getting an email, twitter, tweet, facebook or pm that a missile is headed our way. We will be trying to knock it out of the sky before it gets here. If it gets through anddDepending on if it hits north or south of the Alaska Range will determine what any of us do after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Do you really think they will let the public know there are Nuke inbound to our AO? Really... We will never hear about it until the blast and if they were to shoot one down we probably would not hear about that for weeks because of public panic scare's.
    There is alot of variables here on what size of the WH and payload. Why not you do the research and inform all of us.

As for Idine tablets you are much better off with some house old bleach that the tablet. It will last much longer and kill far more than the tablets do plus taste awhole lot better.

As said above, we would not hear of it until the event is over. Even if we were notified that there was an inbound nuke, no one would know exactly what the intended strike zone is, best guess is Anchorage if the intent is highest casualty rate, best guess strategically is JBER, in my mind. My wife works in midtown-Anchorage, I am in Eagle River were we live.

Pretend for a moment that we both hear of the impending strike immediately, within two minutes of the detected launch, now there are 18minutes to react, it would be impossible for my wife to get to Eagle River or to get south out of Anchorage in that small amount of time, it would also be impossible for me to get to Anchorage-midtown to be with my wife. The gridlock would be absolutely ridiculous ! Chances are also very likely that I would not even be able to raise my wife on her cell phone to tell her I love her and to say goodbye, due to the circuits overload . One, or both of us, would likely die .

The best chance either of us would have is to stay put and wait for the event to play out.

What exactly does the iodine tablets do anyway? I've heard of them before, but not sure how they protect you from radiation. Where can you get them? Do they sell them at pharmacy stores or what?
    Basically, your thyroid absorbs iodine. There is radioactive iodine and good iodine. In essence you are feeding your thyroids good iodine so that it doesn't absord the radioactive isotopes of the radioactive iodine. You can do this because the thyroid can only absord so much at one time so by loading it full of the good stuff you are preventing the bad from entering. Keep in mind that this is my generic explanation. Also remember that the iodine pills only help the thyroids and not the entire body. The thyroids are the most affected part of the body though.

Heres a few things I found online- if potassium iodide is taken before exposure to a large-scale radiation event (or radioactive fallout), it will prevent radioactive isotopes from concentrating in the thyroid gland and "burning out" the thyroid (which usually leads to thyroid cancer).

The most common example of radioactive iodine – iodine-131 – is a major product of uranium fission. After a nuclear event, radioactive iodine can be released into the air and inhaled. It can also contaminate the local food or water supply and in turn be ingested. The thyroid gland quickly absorbs radioactive iodine, which can be damaging. It was a major contributor to health problems after the Chernobyl disaster.
    WHAT IS NON-RADIOACTIVE IODINE?
    Potassium Iodide (KI) is a salt of stable iodine in medicine form. It is available as a tablet or liquid. The body needs stable iodine to make thyroid hormones.
    HOW DO IODINE TABLETS WORK?
    The thyroid gland absorbs both stable and radioactive iodine and cannot determine the difference between the two. When you take the tablets, the thyroid becomes “full” and will be unable to absorb any more iodine — either stable or radioactive — for the next 24 hours.
    WHAT ARE THE TABLETS’ LIMITATIONS?
    Iodine tablets cannot stop radioactive iodine from entering the body. Iodine tablets can only protect the thyroid from radioactive iodine, and no other parts of the body. And, if the nuclear radiation does not contain radioactive iodine, then iodine tablets will have no effect.

907Pride
    Good post... I misunderstood your call for Iodine Ithought you were referring to water purification purposes not radiation. That was why I added household bleach insteadof iodine. Apologies
    I learned something new today

[

QUOTE=907pride;1262657]Basically, your thyroid absorbs iodine. There is radioactive iodine and good iodine. In essence you are feeding your thyroids good iodine so that it doesn't absord the radioactive isotopes of the radioactive iodine. You can do this because the thyroid can only absord so much at one time so by loading it full of the good stuff you are preventing the bad from entering. Keep in mind that this is my generic explanation. Also remember that the iodine pills only help the thyroids and not the entire body. The thyroids are the most affected part of the body though.

Heres a few things I found online- if potassium iodide is taken before exposure to a large-scale radiation event (or radioactive fallout), it will prevent radioactive isotopes from concentrating in the thyroid gland and "burning out" the thyroid (which usually leads to thyroid cancer).

The most common example of radioactive iodine – iodine-131 – is a major product of uranium fission. After a nuclear event, radioactive iodine can be released into the air and inhaled. It can also contaminate the local food or water supply and in turn be ingested. The thyroid gland quickly absorbs radioactive iodine, which can be damaging. It was a major contributor to health problems after the Chernobyl disaster.
    WHAT IS NON-RADIOACTIVE IODINE?
    Potassium Iodide (KI) is a salt of stable iodine in medicine form. It is available as a tablet or liquid. The body needs stable iodine to make thyroid hormones.
    HOW DO IODINE TABLETS WORK?
    The thyroid gland absorbs both stable and radioactive iodine and cannot determine the difference between the two. When you take the tablets, the thyroid becomes “full” and will be unable to absorb any more iodine — either stable or radioactive — for the next 24 hours.
    WHAT ARE THE TABLETS’ LIMITATIONS?
    Iodine tablets cannot stop radioactive iodine from entering the body. Iodine tablets can only protect the thyroid from radioactive iodine, and no other parts of the body. And, if the nuclear radiation does not contain radioactive iodine, then iodine tablets will have no effect.[/QUOTE]

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Get my saw back from my neighbour and never lend anything to him again. still burns by butt he hasn't returned it....LOL