Thread: Which rifle would you choose X Bolt White Gold or Model 70 supergrade?

Default Which rifle would you choose X Bolt White Gold or Model 70 supergrade?

I'm really torn between 2 rifles right now. The rifle will be used mainly for deer hunting in Arkansas. The 2 guns i'm trying to choose between are listed below. I plan on buying the gun in 30-06 caliber.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=035&tid=235

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...07&family=001C

I'm looking for any inputs from guys or gals that might own either gun and their thoughts on it. Thanks

I would choose the Winchester .... Due to the Mauser Action // Control round feed. It's a feature I look for in any rifle I will possibly be hunting dangerous game with.

That being said I think the browning is much more pretty..

Both are fine rifles... I hope you enjoy whichever you choose.

Hands down, the winchester. It's an elegant rifle, smooth as butter too. I would get in in 30-06 and have it rebored to either 35 whelen or 9.3x62......rebored so you can keep the original richly blued barrel.

Winchester 70....the Supergrade is such a classy rifle. That was easy.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have 4 mod 70's (2 extreme weathers, featherweight and express) so have a biased opinion. I just like the way they feel. I also don't like the plasticky shine the X bolt has over the wood. One of my peers has an X bolt and loves it- will be getting another. Can't go wrong with either gun IMHO.
    BEE

Hardly even any question there, model 70.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks for all the opinions. I was leaning towards the model 70 but I kept hearing how good the x-bolt was. Thanks Again

I have a new X Bolt in 308 and it is a joy to shoot and carry, but, it would never out rank my W 70 Supergrade in 300WM that has been my go to gun for over 20 years! I had the wood re-done on it last summer and it has served me very faithfully! To me it has always been the "poor mans cadillac" so to speak. More money than most of us want to spend on a classic rifle, yet much less than some of the custom jobbies out there....
    Looks great, feels great and functions great - enough said...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Model 70 Winchester Supergrade hands down.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Another model 70 vote here. I've owned one x-bolt and it didn't compare to any model 70 I've owned. It's your gun though, so handle them both and choose the one that fits you the best and just plain feels right.

The Model 70 will hold it's value for decades longer than the X Bolt. Put some high quality mounts and glass on that baby and your great-grandkids will take it out to hunt. I've shot with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 recently and that is some pretty decent glass for the money.

Model 70 Winchester.

1. Controlled feed
    2. Big solid extractor claw that will not break if jammed up with river bar sand and grit
    3. You can totally disassemble the bolt in the field without tools.
    4. 3 position safety which allows you to cycle rounds in and out of the chamber with the firing pin locked.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Browning fan here. Own a couple of them and wouldn't trade 'em for anything else.

BK

Thanks for all the advice and opinins. I just bought a winchester model 70 supergrade. It was a hard choice but the action and blueing on the gun sold me. Thanks Again

Quote Originally Posted by rickytz7111 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice and opinins. I just bought a winchester model 70 supergrade. It was a hard choice but the action and blueing on the gun sold me. Thanks Again
    Congrats on the rifle purchase. How is the wood on the rifle? What cartridge is it chambered for? Those supergrades are nice rifles. I had one in 30-06 that I wish I would have kept.

Thanks Matt,

The wood is top notch on it. I bought it 30-06. I'm very pleaseed with the gun now all I need is a good piece of glass to put on it.

Just sold my 60's mod 70 super grade .458, that I have not shot in 15 years, quit bear guiding years ago, still miss her---but, was the cleanest -finest rifle I have ever had. Better than the custom rifles myself and others have built and you can not find that kind of black walnut and hand work these days. Can't go wrong! That cal. is a real killer!! Doctor bills add up quick these days!!
    Long winter!!
    Goo

The Browning is not even in the same class as the M70
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams