Thread: Hewescraft Rod Holders

Default Hewescraft Rod Holders

I am looking at pulling the trigger on a Hewescraft 24ft Pacific Explorer this week, and have one last question about the rod holders. My qoute contains the roof top rocket launcher rod holders. I was wondering are the roof top holders the same size as the ones that are availiable for the sides. I am a Pacific North West fisherman and was thinking the side holder woould work well for the net (mind you so would the roof). I have heard the rocket launchers didnt hold halibut rods very well so I was just curious if the side ones are the same side.
    Any info is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws3D View Post
    I have heard the rocket launchers didnt hold halibut rods very well
    They hold mine fine.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

never had a problem with mine
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thank you for the replies. Would the roof top holders hold a salmon net?

The roof top rocket launcher holds our halibut and jigging rods fine. Some can take a longer handle than others, so just put them in the best slot. A net will fit in there, but with the wind pulling on the net and it being light and bouncy, I wouldn't put the net up there when I am cruising and there is any chop. We usually have a cooler in the back, and our big net has a telescoping handle, so we lay it flat against the transom and put the cooler against it.

Our boat (26' HC Alaskan with mid cab) didn't come with side holders, but we put them on. We like to put salmon rods in the side holders, we use 8'+ salmon rods, and being on the side accommodates those long rod lengths. Ours are plastic holders, so we probably wouldn't put heavy halibut rods and reels in them, but lighter jigging rods are fine.

Unless you are real tall, keep a bucket or one of those milk crates in the stern so you have something to stand on to get the rods up and down from the rocket launcher!

There's a protective coating of ruber along the edges of each roof top holder, to protect the rods in there. The roof top holders don't hold my halibut rods unless I take these things off. Then they work fine. I use the top holders to hold my net too, but I wish there were more up there. There's only 4 on each side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    There's a protective coating of ruber along the edges of each roof top holder, to protect the rods in there. The roof top holders don't hold my halibut rods unless I take these things off. Then they work fine. I use the top holders to hold my net too, but I wish there were more up there. There's only 4 on each side.
    Speaking of the rubber protector on those rod holders, does anyone know where you can pick those up. I don't have them on my new rocket launcher and would like them as I have a few rods that have been scratched.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Speaking of the rubber protector on those rod holders, does anyone know where you can pick those up. I don't have them on my new rocket launcher and would like them as I have a few rods that have been scratched.
    I thought about pulling mine off and dipping the open end in a can of that rubber coating, can't recall the name, have seen it at Lowes.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    I thought about pulling mine off and dipping the open end in a can of that rubber coating, can't recall the name, have seen it at Lowes.
    That's what I would do. That stuff is around $6 a can at home depot.

I like that idea but could be a challenge with my rocket launcher. Hmm....

Could you find a piece of thin walled PVC at lowes that might work?
    Maybe paint the plastidip coating on with a brush in a few coats.....you really only need it around the upper rim anyway as thats probably where the damage is occurring.
    BK

I like that idea but could be a challenge with my rocket launcher. Hmm....
    I have some in a Spray can that might work for you. It is the dip it brand. I bought a case of it for cheap when a local store decided to stop carrying their products for some reason.
    If you want I would be happy to give you a can for free just send me a PM. I'll be in Anchorage for the sportsmans show.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

only problem I run into once in a while is the halibut rod butt to big. I remove the bottom cap and it fits great. For the nets, mine do not fit. I see most people add a rod holder on side of the boat. This is where most keep the nest
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Smile

DMan, try looking up FISHING GREATS Rod Holder Caps Trolling Grommets on Ebay. They worked for me and they are not that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have some in a Spray can that might work for you. It is the dip it brand. I bought a case of it for cheap when a local store decided to stop carrying their products for some reason.
    If you want I would be happy to give you a can for free just send me a PM. I'll be in Anchorage for the sportsmans show.
    Thanks. I am leaning toward the removable caps so if I have something that won't fit with the cap it can be removed. I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by TooLoose View Post
    DMan, try looking up FISHING GREATS Rod Holder Caps Trolling Grommets on Ebay. They worked for me and they are not that expensive.
    Thanks! I'll check them out.