Thread: Safe T Hauler

Default Safe T Hauler

I'm looking at buying a Safe T Hauler very soon and I see they have a newer style called the My T Hauler.

Anybody know the difference?They look the same but the My T Hauler is a little cheaper and seems to pull faster. Rarely do you get more for less .Makes me wonder if it isn't as well built or something

Thanks

I have not run the "hauler" style, but have run one of the light commercial "puller" style. If you want the "hauler" style take a close look at the electrodynes. I would own one if they could be rigged like the pullers (from the top of the davit).
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Come and see me before you pull the trigger on a hauler. I'll be at the Wasilla show this weekend and the Anchorage show on Easter weekend. 200ft/min and very conservately rated at 300lbs and it will pull your anchor to I don't think its right to post prices here but its a very competive package price or buy just the hauler and adapt to a davit if you already have one.
    Steve
    ED new davit 2.jpgED new davit 1.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have owned those on my previous boats and they do not last. Mine got noisy and ultimately gave up after 2 seasons. Talk to Steve about an electrodyne and be done. They are not much more pricewise and are so much better units. You will be delighted at the difference. Better resale value too if you should ever sell your boat.

I'll vouch for the E-dyne too. Best of the best for sure.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thanks guys !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I had hydraulic blocks on two of my boats and a big difference to consider is the line stripper on the Electrodyne and hydraulic pullers make it so much easier to tail line into your tub without much fuss, especially if you use a limp line like Goldline like I did. The light duty haulers aren't set up like that and you have to manually pull line off into the tub. Go with Steve's setup if you go electric. I'm partial to hydraulics since I run inboards but that's more $$ to consider. Plus you eggbeater guys can't add the hydraulic pump to your engines so electrics are the way to go and from what I've seen, the Electrodyne is the best.

I recently bought the My T Hauler. I wanted that because I am used to using a puller that has the works mounted closer to me on the davit instead of on the end. The advantage I see for the My T Hauler is the speed at which it pulls up the pots. The downside may be the different type of gears (worm gear) which MAY not be as reliable as the other type of gearing. The folks that make the My T Hauler, Safety Hauler, Safety Puller tell me that they are planning on making more and more of the My T Haulers. I guess time will tell how good they are. I have a buddy who has an EZ puller with the worm gearing and I love it. If they had a local dealer I probably would have gone with the EZ Puller.

skydiver,
    I am very interested to hear more about your MY T HAULER. I have not been able to find much in the way of information or reviews on the web but it looks like it is a refinement of the SAFE T HAULER? Did you do the install yourself? One of the web pieces states that the wiring has a "plug in" which would be a departure from the SAFE T HAULER. Can you describe the wiring? I'm very interested as I'm looking for a slightly lighter unit that I can easily remove and swap between two boats. Thanks.

Electra-Dyne is the only hauler I know of that's completely American made ...... including the massive electric motor. Have grown weary of cheapo China made motors.

This debate really hinges on the size of the boat, the amount of pulling that you're going to end up doing over the next five or ten years...and your patience...and your budget.
    Going shrimping with a friend this weekend I was impressed by the compact nature of the ACE line hauler. Not a Safe T hauler but similarly-sized motor as the "Sport" model SAFE-T hauler. Furthermore, it weighed so little that anyone could carry it down to the boat and install it on a Scotty mount without a hitch! That little unit unfolded and was up and ready to pull pots in less than two minutes--I was having second thoughts about my permanently mounted, heavier Electra-dyne. We came up to the first string of two pots, put the rope over the hauling block, jockey wheels and sheave and started up the hauler. The boat engines were running and both batteries were fully charged. The take-up of slack line was acceptable and all was good until we started pulling two, big, round Donalson's pots off of the bottom. Slow as molasses in January! Even worse with the three-pot string. That's when the envy wore off and I fell in love all over again with my Electra-dyne.

The ACE is better suited to somebody for whom space, weight, and acquisition costs are paramount. If one is going to put a davit on their boat and spend the money for a commercial style hauler then cut the fluff and get the right stuff the first time. You'll find the other pot haulers "cute" and "entertaining". The E-Dyne is a no-BS workhorse! And if it lasts the twenty years about which Steve and Electra-dyne speak then it is waaay worth it. Steve is NOT putting you on when he talks about pulling anchors with it. I pulled 300ft of 1/2" 3-strand line, 80ft of heavy chain and a 25lb plow anchor without any problems at all...like it was MADE to work hard.

I, too, will be interested to see how those new haulers stack up over the next five years. So far I'm just happy to have gone from hauling pots by hand, then with a buoy system, on up to hauling with an Electra-dyne.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Whalerdoc View Post
    skydiver,
    I am very interested to hear more about your MY T HAULER. I have not been able to find much in the way of information or reviews on the web but it looks like it is a refinement of the SAFE T HAULER? Did you do the install yourself? One of the web pieces states that the wiring has a "plug in" which would be a departure from the SAFE T HAULER. Can you describe the wiring? I'm very interested as I'm looking for a slightly lighter unit that I can easily remove and swap between two boats. Thanks.
    I installed mine myself. My installation was probably a little more difficult than others would have simply because of the limited places on my boat where I could mount it and provide the support that it needs.

If you go to the safe-t-puller web site, you can then choose the Support tab at the top and then from there you can look at the installation manual and the wiring diagram. It won't specifically say that it's for the My-T-Hauler, but it's basically the same. The wiring diagram will show that you have to manually connect the pos and neg wires to the puller motor each time you want to remove/install the puller motor, but on the my-t-hauler it's easier than that because the puller comes with a plug-in that you mount on your boat. Looks just like the plug-in for an electric downrigger (but with a heavier gauge wire). So you just plug and unplug as needed.

The my-t-hauler is different from the safe-t-hauler. The my-t-hauler has a different type of gearing (worm) than the safe-t-puller and safe-t-hauler. I've read elsewhere where the worm gear might not be as good. Time will tell. I got the 250-lb capacity one and don't plan on loading it up nearly that much. One thing I like about the my-t-hauler is that you can get faster retrieval rates than most other pullers. You actually have two choices - either a really fast retrieval rate but with the downside of less capacity, or a fast (faster than safe-t-puller or hauler) rate with a bigger capacity.

To find info on their web site about the my-t-hauler, you'll have to look around. A couple of things you'll find are PDFs. I talked to them a while back and they said that they were working on adding information about the my-t-hauler on their web site. Also that they are starting to phase out the safe-t-puller and go more with the my-t-hauler. I'll take mine for a spin here in 2-3 weeks.

On my Safe-t-puller I used a power connector from Polar Wire

and upgraded the overload protection with a Blue Sea circuit breaker.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for posting the power connector Paul. That's exactly what I need to add for my E-Dyne. I plan on removing it leter in the summer after we are done shrimping to make more room on the boat and reduce a little weight.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859