Thread: Crystal meth fly

Default Crystal meth fly

Does anybody use the crystal meth fly as an egg imitation for Alaskan trout or dollies?

It is a great fly for Great Lakes steelhead. Haven't tried it anywhere else though.

Default CM

What a *****e name for a fly, never heard of it. If it imitates an egg than it's a bead or globug here.
    Last edited by whitepalm; 05-10-2007 at 00:20. Reason: mispelled

Oh yea. Let's take our kids out and introduce them to the new "hot" fly.

we sold this fly in the shop i worked at in montana, but only as a steelhead fly for those heading over to fish in idaho. it was a relatively popular steelhead fly, but never heard of anyone using it for trout. haven't run into it in alaska yet.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Conversation soon to be overheard...

..On a River near you.....

"Dude, Bill's got the BEST Chrystal meth!"

. . . . .Moments later. . . . .

"Why is that Fish Cop slappin the cuffs on Bill?"

<grin>

Think I'll name that new creation in the vise an articulated Valley Trash....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Come on Guys the crystal meth fly has been a standard pattern in the great lakes area for years and he didn't name the dang thing! And we all have run into patterns with unfortunate names the "cluster f#%k" immediately comes to mind as an example.(It looks like a cluster of eggs with milt around it)

Flyfishing33 from where do ya hail ? Did you get the PM I sent you about fishing in the Mat-Su area?

Yeah, the crystal meth is indeed an interesting fly name, as are many out there and I did not name or invent it. Just fish with it now and then for Great Lakes steelhead. None of my friends or family in Idaho have ever heard of the fly. I am going to try it in Alaska just for kicks as well. Don't see why it wouldn't work there too.

Rick P - I got your PM and replied.

I actually hail from Paul, Idaho but I am wrapping up medical school in Columbus, Ohio. I'll be moving back to Idaho for my residency in three weeks or so. Can't wait. The fishing there can be phenomenal at times.

try it, it probably won't tale pressured fish but unpressured fish might like it fine
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I don't know what this fly is but unusual flys will work. I've seen some of the weirdest flys catch lots of fish.

one of the more popular flies in arkansas on the norfork river is called trout crack, yet it somehow has a more innocent sound to it than crank

Does the crystal meth fly tend to catch skinny, dried up, beaten up fish?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Nope, just big aggressive steelies!

Default What the....

Does it resemble the "Cocaine Caddis" or the "Heroine Hare's Ear" or maybe the "LSD Nymph"... what a dumb name for a fly. I seriously hope that it can find a new name in Alaska and that the promotion of such a horrible drug can stop. I can't beleive that it has been accepted in the great lakes for years... with any luck we Alaskans can prove less tolerant of such an immature innuendo for our great sport and find something we won't be afraid to repeat in front of our kids. Sheesh; really.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Saw lots of steelheads caught on this particular fly and various sucker spawn while in Ohio. Very very productive. Almost as productive as a stone. http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flyshow&s=$s&showid=565

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    Does it resemble the "Cocaine Caddis" or the "Heroine Hare's Ear" or maybe the "LSD Nymph"... what a dumb name for a fly. I seriously hope that it can find a new name in Alaska and that the promotion of such a horrible drug can stop. I can't beleive that it has been accepted in the great lakes for years... with any luck we Alaskans can prove less tolerant of such an immature innuendo for our great sport and find something we won't be afraid to repeat in front of our kids. Sheesh; really.
    I vote for the Matanuska Thunder Fly.......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I vote for the Matanuska Thunder Fly.......
    hahahahaha
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default will work absolutely

yes the meth flies work in AK. Purple is tops for silvers and rainbows. I added black to the flies for tails.Marabou works wonders. I am from mich. and i took some up a few years back and they are killers on silvers. You need a heavy hook I had some #4 caddis fly hooks that i used. the peach estaz flies will also catch dollies and bows
    Also i have caught numerous fish on home made flies that dont resemble anything and do just fine with them some are awesome, others, well ... they stay in the box.
    Bushwaker

does anyone have a picture of the C fly?