Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This forum is dead? Some Auroras :)

Default This forum is dead? Some Auroras :)

Just trying to wake you, forum members

Took the first two three days ago:

This one last March:

So envious! I was told I could view them from my place last night.. but I didn't see it! Argh! Someday.. Great photography! Thanks for sharing!

Great job!

I was stuck in the middle of Anchorage, but this is what I got from the past storm..

I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    So envious! I was told I could view them from my place last night.. but I didn't see it! Argh! Someday.. Great photography! Thanks for sharing!
    Have you seen them yet? If they forecast them you may have to go outside where you can look from different angles, and possibly lower down on the horizon. They're not always right overhead.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Have you seen them yet? If they forecast them you may have to go outside where you can look from different angles, and possibly lower down on the horizon. They're not always right overhead.
    I have not seen them yet. I also don't have a tv so unsure when to look. I got an e-mail giving me some weather info online to check. I'll have to be more diligent with that. But honestly I forget about it with my everyday life happening..

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    I have not seen them yet. I also don't have a tv so unsure when to look. I got an e-mail giving me some weather info online to check. I'll have to be more diligent with that. But honestly I forget about it with my everyday life happening..

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    Yep. Sign up there for Aurora Alerts and they'll send an email when a higher level of activity is predicted.

Keep in mind that the Auroras Forecast page at UAF if off. A glitch or something on the software took the website down, and the person who installed and knows about the software is gone for a couple of weeks. The news appeared at the ADN late last week.

Taken during moose season last year, from a spot across my campsite:

OK!! I signed up! Thanks!

Here are is a couple of photos from last Saturday night..
    NL.jpgnl5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    NL.jpgnl5.jpg
    Lost of nice colors!

From earlier this year:

Really nice, Ray! What kind of exposure times you getting there? Any filters?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    NL.jpgnl5.jpg
    It sure is special when they get a lot of reds in them.....

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Taken during moose season last year, from a spot across my campsite:
    You sure do a great job Ray...!!!

Thanks.

No filters used, and this is for whoever wants to know

Lately I have been using a Canon 7D with a Tokina 11-16mm lens, and a Macintosh computer to process my photos. But camera brand nor computer platform (Mac or PC) should make a difference:

a. Camera on a tripod, and the viewfinder covered with a small curtain that consists of three or four strips of black plastic electrical tape. I cover the viewfinder just before I press the shutter release (button), after I compose the photo.

b. 400 to 600 ISO with this lens wide open (lens at f/2.8). If your lens can't open that far, then you may have to use higher ISO speeds, or longer exposure times.

c. The lens is set to manual focus, focused to "infinite." On the Tokina lens, infinite is indicated on the barrel by a figure "8" symbol (in case some may not know this).

d. Since I shoot RAW and process the photos with CS5, it does not matter which white balance I use. I leave the WB to automatic (AWB).

e. Once I take the photos I use CS5 to process them. In addition to CS5 I use Neat Image, a plugin to remove digital noise. But before I remove noise I move the "temperature sliders" on CS5 to make the RAW image foreground and Auroras look somewhat of similar colors to what I saw when I took the picture, and then open the photo on the screen to remove noise and the rest.

f. I often use one of NIK's Software plugins to darken or lighten the image as needed at the edges. By doing so your eyes are drawn toward the Auroras instead of the foreground, for example.

You will notice that I keep my photos on the dark side, but some professionals (I am not) use high ISO speeds so that the foreground and everything in the photo is clearly shown on the photo. Some of those photos are simply amazing. But since I shoot in the darkness of night in areas where there are all kinds of stuff in the foreground (large blocks of ice, wood pallets, lumber, etc.), I prefer not to show that stuff.

How long do you leave your shutter open for? I'm just starting out and have yet to capture the auroras. I'm using a Canon T1i with either a 18-55mm or 55-250mm lens. I also have several adapters like the macro, fish eye, and wide angle, as well as some filters. Not sure if any of these are good for much. I do have a shutter remote though

Quote Originally Posted by Sjneyman View Post
    How long do you leave your shutter open for? I'm just starting out and have yet to capture the auroras. I'm using a Canon T1i with either a 18-55mm or 55-250mm lens. I also have several adapters like the macro, fish eye, and wide angle, as well as some filters. Not sure if any of these are good for much. I do have a shutter remote though
    What's your lens wider aperture?

The one I use above is f/2.8, so my exposures are from 13 to 15 seconds at 400 to 600 ISO speeds (depending on how dark it it when taking the photos). I would think that you may want to go as long as 13 to 15 seconds with 800 ISO if your lens is not as fast.

You can try high ISO (perhaps 800) and 13-second exposures and then 15-second exposures. Then you can try 600 ISO and the same exposure times to figure which images you like the most, and finally bring the ISO to 400 and the same exposure times. Everything depends on how dark the night is. Sometimes there is plenty of daylight (in the morning), so even 400 ISO + 13-second exposures can be too much. In this case you may want to use a lower ISO speed and even a shorter exposure.

The only way to find out is to try different exposure times, or different lens apertures, or different ISO speeds. But the easiest way for me is to go up/down on exposure times since I have a fast lens.

Charge your batteries, it should be good tonight and tomorrow!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast