Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Hudson Bay Project....

Default My Hudson Bay Project....

The itch got to me. After using a HB last fall in Maine I simply fell in love with the canoe. I used it for trolling for landlocked salmon on a lake that shifts from flat calm to 2 ft whitecaps in a matter of minutes and can say this canoe kept me in the game compared to the alternatives I have used, 14ft Lund boats.

I have worked with Scott Canoe to define my build and pulled the trigger last week. They will be laying fiberglass later this week and I have asked for photo updates on the build progression...which I hope to share in this thread.

I have elected to add a kevlar skid plate, ash trim and spray rails, with a short shaft (15 inch transon), added one swivel seat.

Today I made a trip to Defender Marine in CT and picked up the outboard. First trip there, and talk about a candy store for boat supplies. Picked up a 20HP 4 stroke Honda with electric start and power lift/trim. This was a tricky decision, as the 9.8HP Honda I used on the HB in Maine really moved the canoe well. But I am thinking about using this on larger lakes and the run times may be longer, so having added HP to move the canoe should be a benefit, plus I won't need to run wide open on the RPMs for long periods. Weight wise, the 20HP comes in at 129 lbs. One area I am concerned about is trailering that much weight on the transom...if anyone has feedback there let me know. Scott says no issues, just take it easy on rough roads.

After the canoe fabrication is completed, the HB and galvanized EZ Loader trailer will be shipped to Calgary for pickup. I am in the process of relocating to the Flathead Valley area in Montana and am targeting wetting the hull in May.

So...I am hoping to share progress in this forum, and hopefully sharing some laker photos from Flathead Lake this spring.

Bob

sounds like a near perfect set up, I am envious.

Congrats bob,
    what a great craft and engine set up.
    If you are worried you can run a transom saver that puts the CG more over the transom.
    What a great area to relocate to.
    whitefish, blaine, echo,mcdonold, st marys, Mary ronan, mcgreager, bitterroot, ashley, thomson, tally, swan, seeley are are some of the lakes I fished and boated as a boy all close to the valley. Not to mention all the creeks and rivers there as well.
    I probley don't need to tell you but if you like to hunt, fish and boat it don't get much better.
    good luck and have a ball.

Is it just my old eyes or is that a 52 on the back of the one in the pic...??? That thing must fly...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks guys....should be a great one.

Oyster....I have been travelling to Kalispell off and on for 15 years and as you know that area is pretty much God's country. I have caught many Kokanee salmon in Mary Ronan and to my surprise my friend shared this photo from his trip to Lake McDonald....did not know that about that lake, someone was telling me no fish there due to the lack of feed in the lake.

So this rig should let me into each of those lakes nicely.

Need to look into a transom saver....that will give me peace of mind on the road.

Bob

Congrats on pulling the trigger .Are you going with the center seat storage area ??. I run a 15 Yamaha 4 stroke with no problem but don't have the extra weight of The elec start and power trim. Can wait for ice out !!!! About another month

I also think you made a good move with the 20hp.
    The weather can come up big on flathead.
    Some may call horsepoop, but I've been out in 6'+ waves out there.
    But I had a dad that thought the nastier the better for sailing.
    Nice to be able to run from it when needed.

Initially had the center seat storage option added....but thinking about that for awhile I changed my mind. No real reason to do so...on the face of it that seems like a good thing to do, but not having seen it on other HBs may have made my decision.

The motor on the photo above is a 9.8 Honda....and I can say it does quite well.

Fab start date is this Thursday.

I would show you a pick but it's upside down with a fresh 10" of snow on it. that center storage is the balls ...keep the rope ,plug,first aid kit,tools,etc..you will kick yourself if you don't do it...cus where else you gonna put that stuff???? Plus they made another improvement since your first pic of the Scott....in the rear where the motor mounts there is a fiberglass shelf that should you take a wave from the rear the water doesn't come in the boat....it goes in that shelf and drains out !! Real slick.

Well the snow is gone and here is my trailer for the HB . Those are 13inch rims for extra height,greaseless hubs, and a big wheel up front for easy moving.http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...ps95ba6d9d.jpg

Well the snow is gone and here is my trailer for the HB . Those are 13inch rims for extra height,greaseless hubs, and a big wheel up front for easy moving.

Ok..some progress made on my HB canoe.

Mold work...

Glassing...

Ash trim work...

Center seat storage....added this after talking with Nessmuck.

Went with a 2 tone color scheme...white on bottom (hides scratches better) and adds a different look.

Canoe and trailer will be shipped west to Calgary for my pickup once I get to Montana....I will update again once I get her in the water. Looks good and should be a sweet ride with the 20HP Honda pushing it.

Feels a bit like Christmas for me...

Bob

Merry Chistmas Bob,
    It is neat to see some in progress pics.
    Thanks for sharing

It's nice to see the process..Lookn real sweet !!! Thanks for sharing !! We all know that waiting feeling LOL

Congrat on a wonderful canoe.Hard to beat a good dream coming true
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Glassing pic

I find the pic "glassing" interesting.
    It appears they glassed the center seat to the bottom but not the sides.
    I wonder if that is to help wriggle it out of the mold and then glass the sides in?

Quote Originally Posted by oyster View Post
    I find the pic "glassing" interesting.
    It appears they glassed the center seat to the bottom but not the sides.
    I wonder if that is to help wriggle it out of the mold and then glass the sides in?
    when I ordered my HB...the guy said they can make the HB Allagash Legal for Maine waters in the Allagash( max of 52") the standard HB measures 56". So they strap the canoe to get 52 " and then glass in the seats...at least that's what I was told.It added good resale in this neck of the woods.Maybe with Bob's they strap it to 56" and glass ???

I just wished they could have had some different designs to allow the water that gets in the boat ( rain or spray ) to flow towards the stern and not puddle up in the ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by nessmuck View Post
    I just wished they could have had some different designs to allow the water that gets in the boat ( rain or spray ) to flow towards the stern and not puddle up in the ribs.
    That can sure enough be done, but would it be worth the expense or weight?
    I think the mats you use are a great solution.
    I also feel that some light weight cedar slats would work well too.

Quote Originally Posted by oyster View Post
    The weather can come up big on flathead.
    Some may call horsepoop, but I've been out in 6'+ waves out there.

Nice to be able to run from it when needed.
    No horsepoop on that! Flathead can get very nasty, very quick. One of our staff lives in Polson and sails quite a bit. With a small/narrow boat of any kind you need to be ready to run for it.

Awesome canoe! You're going to start a trend in NW Montana. Don't forget Lake Koocanusa.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast