Thread: Petersburg 2013

Default Petersburg 2013

Iím headed to Petersburg in late August for a Self-Guided Trip. Iíve been to Alaska several times but this is only my second SE Alaska Salt Water Trip. Self-Guided out of Ketchikan a couple of years ago. Catching silvers is my primary objective but would also like to Halibut fish some. Iíve booked my arrangements but Iím looking for any assistance I can get about fishing the area. Techniques, locations, links to information etc.. I know there is already a Petersburg link on the page but I didnít want to highjack someone elseís thread. Thanks in advance.

Is It okay if I highjack your thread. LOL My wife and I were there in mid August last year on a diy trip. We targeted the halibut but did catch a few cohos in Blind Slough. We had a ball had never been there before and brought back 150 lbs of halibut. All we did was listen to the staff at the lodge and did what they said. I don't know where you are going but I am sure they will be able to provide excellant information for you. The lodge we went provided good maps and equipment for both salmon & halibut fishing. They also provided bait for the halibut fishing or you coud motor up to the cannery in Petersburg and catch your own fresh bait. I strongly suspect you will need some good raingear with good cold weather clothes also. It was mid 40's to mid 60's with light rain/mist/fog every day we were there.

I staying at a Hotel in town and renting a boat out of the harbor. I'm sure the folks at the boat rental will be helpful but without the staff at a lodge to fall back on, I want to prepare ahead of time the best I can. Is most of the salmon fishing trolling downriggers? Mooching? I'm prepared for the rain but there aren't a lot of salmon in Oklahoma and with only one previous saltwater trip under my belt I trying to gather the tackle and information to be reasonably successful. I'm more comfortable with catching halibut than I am the salmon.

Divers with a hooch/flasher combo is always a good plan. Also consider fishing some spoons/spinners with or without the flasher. Another thing to consider is some of the plugs like J-Plugs. The plugs need to run a bit faster and should be used without a flasher. All of them work and Coho aren't very picky. From my experience Coho generally hold in large schools on points of land or bay entrances....if you hook one spin around and hit the same spot again. Once a good amount of fish are located mooching is a good way to go. When mooching I prefer to go all the way to the bottom slowly and work my way back up slowly because it gives you a chance at a Ling or Halibut feeding under the Salmon.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I will be in Petersburg in mid August on a guided trip but may try to do a day or two of unguided. I was there last year but had a really shortened trip. For making bait I would recommend you take a couple of Sabiki rigs and make fresh bait (herring) by the canneries. Also I would recommend reviewing NOAA charts 17360 and 17375. These provide an overall perspective and depth information. They can also be printed. I plan on taking copies in plastic folders for my information and use. Even with a guide I like to know where I am on the water. Last year, the couple days I was there, NO silvers were around and the canneries were closed. I was told the preferred fishing methods around Petersburg is mooching with piece of bait on the jig.

By late August around Petersburg you're looking for most of the cohos near the creek mouths. There are still some in the salt water for trolling but not near the numbers of late July and early August. Most people will throw spinners (Mepps #4 and #5, Coho Bolos, and Kodiak Customs) on 10-12 lb line on a spinning rod/reel. Chartreuse and Pink are good colors, but I've caught them on the whole spectrum. Hit the creek mouth on an incoming tide and watch for jumpers as they move up. Good places that time of year are going to be Petersburg Creek and Blind Slough in the narrows. Castle River and Kah Sheets over in Duncan Canal should be good right about then as well. Falls Creek in the Narrows might have a few fish but that tends to be an earlier run. Just watch yourself going in the creeks on the tide. Once high tide hits and you're thinking of leaving slowly work your way back out to the channel. I've seen a lot of rental boats pile up on the rocks and sand bars at creek mouths because the high tide covered them up.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like I'm going a little late but I'll just have to make the best of the situation. I appreciate your responses. I will adjust the plans accordingly.

I wouldn't call it late. There is still plenty to be had. Just need to switch tactics. Halibut can be great the time of year. It's pretty tough to verbally describe spots for halibut on here. Are you staying at Scandia House and renting one of their boats?

Staying at the Scandia. Have a 20' Hewes from Jensens.

Having the 20 ft. Hewes from John will open up a lot of option for halibut. Weather permitting you can get out to some great place in Frederick Sounds. Look at the charts and anywhere west of Cape Straight where you see a decent bench in 150- 200 ft of water that drops to 300+ will be good fishing. Fish on the bench during the top half of the tide. There should still be some cohos for trolling around places like Beacon Point and Cape Straight. If you've got the time a run up to Cape Fanshaw can be a productive day of trolling.

Divers with a hooch/flasher combo is always a good plan. What type/depth of divers do you recommend for this area?

Two weeks out for this trip. I have divers, flashers, Hoochies, Brad's Cut Plugs, jigs. spinners and salmon killers. Any last minute advice or fishing reports?